“Memories from Childhood...”

Ranked #2 of 44 Restaurants in Crest Hill
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 16, 2012

My parents used to take me to this landmark 35 years ago when I was just 6 years old. The poorboys made of tenderized cube steak, french bread and garlic butter are as good today as they were back then. The atmosphere isn't the greatest, as we made the comment that much of the decorations that they have are probably the same one's up when I was a kid, but make no mistake I go for the food / service here and not for the decorations or lack of renovations. I now live 4 hours away, but every time we come back to visit family, I have to stop at Merichka's. They are also famous for their large servings of french fries, hand battered onion rings, and fried chicken.

Reviewed April 10, 2012

There known for their french salad dress and garlic poorboys. Their rather famous for their garlic soaked poorboys..

Reviewed March 16, 2012

good poorboy sadwiches, double baked potato too. favorite of locals.

Reviewed February 12, 2012

Whenever we travel to the Joliet area we always make time to dine at Merichkas in Crest Hill. They have a sandwich there called a "poor boy" that is unique, it is about a foot long, toasted Italian type bread, tenderized round steak (I think) and smothered in garlic butter. Add to that an order of some of the best onion rings ( the portions are huge) I have ever tasted and it is almost more food than most can eat. We have also tried the Icslandic Cod and Chicken which are also great. The prices are very reasonable and the service is great. This is one of those places you try because someone told you about it and it becomes one of your favorite restaurants.

Reviewed February 11, 2012

This is a great place to get together for family events - we have celebrated birthdays, wedding rehearsal dinners, and just stopped there for lunch. This is the place where almost all of my family orders a Yodel burger with extra butterine sauce. Sometimes we have a salad too -- Marichka's house dressing (style of a red French) is home made and great.
The menu -- has a broad selection -- I just never order anything else; when I find an entree that rings my chimes, I just keep going back for the same thing. My advice is go for the Yodel burger -- then if you have to -- try something else on the menu. Although, I cannot figure a reason to do so.
The restaurant has lots of floor space, so you can entertain a large group of family or friends.