“Chicago Hotel near Mid-way Airport with great price and amenities”

Holiday Inn Countryside
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Countryside
Rochester, NY
“Chicago Hotel near Mid-way Airport with great price and amenities”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

My husband and I had planned a wonderful week in the Hudson Valley area of New York. Our stay was to include staying at Castle on the Hudson and spending Halloween at Sleepy Hollow, but hurricane Sandy changed those plans. Saturday, 10-27-12, we headed west from Rochester, NY to find sunshine and no rain. Our destination was Chicago. We arrived in Chicago on Sunday afternoon with no hotel reservations which was a bit of a problem. We wanted to be in the city but several hotels we stopped at had no available rooms until Tuesday due to the increased number of people coming from the northeast to avoid the hurricane plus there was a huge convention starting the next day. As it was getting late we decided to use our On-Star service to find a hotel. We settled for a Holiday Inn –William Tell near Midway Airport at 6201 Joliet Road. Their phone number is 1-708-354-4200. Since, all flights from the northeast had been cancelled by late Sunday we never heard any planes during our stay. The hotel was very nice, clean; the people at the lobby front desk were helpful and friendly. The room rate for a 2 night stay was $355.95 with the AAA discount. A delicious full breakfast buffet was included in the room price. Breakfast was served from 6-10am by a very friendly staff. I was impressed by the amount of food offered; juices, coffees, eggs, meats, French toast, cereals, and bagels. Our room had 2 queen size beds, micro wave, refrigerator, full size ironing board & iron, in wall safe, internet access and a flat screen TV. It was nicely decorated with one entire wall being brick which made the room quiet from any neighbors. Only negative I can think of is that the heat\AC fan was a bit loud. Also, the HD channels were limited but we were told and we saw the workmen installing the upgraded cable which was to be available by 10-30-12. The room and bathroom were very clean. The bathroom had a nice heat lamp. The tub\shower and toilet was separated by a door to the large sink\mirror area. The first night we walked around the hotel to find that it was huge! Many convention rooms, beautiful indoor pool area, a two-levels stone fireplace ballroom perfect for weddings, a courtyard with gazebo, fun lounge area with live entertainment nightly, and a lovely restaurant. The restaurant had a good menu. We particularly enjoyed having our dinners served at one of the cozy alcove tables. The location of the hotel from the city was not a problem. Taking I-55 we drove into downtown in less than 25 minutes. Plus, the L-train is available to take you into the city.
I would highly recommend staying at Holiday Inn-William Tell for those who do not want to pay twice as much to stay in a downtown hotel. For example: the next two nights we stayed at the Westin on 909 N. Michigan Ave. across the street from the John Hancock. The price for one night was $394.08 (room $287.00, taxes $47.08, required valet parking $59.00). The Westin was more expensive, not as friendly and did not have the amenities that Holiday Inn offered.

Room Tip: Remember to bring your bath suit the pool area is wonderful.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank lovetomunch

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Winona Lake, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

Clean rooms and common areas, very nice pool area. I stayed alone during a conference, but would be great for a family stay. Very friendly cleaning staff as well as at the front desk. Adrian and Nicole were very cheerful, polite, and helpful. Nice bar and lounge area.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Paris, France
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

I parked my car in the front lot, checked in and went to my room. The next morning, my car was gone and the lot was full of pavement workers. Instead of calling my room to move my car or signage, not to park on that lot or at least a warning when I checked in. They took it upon themselves to tow my car to a lot down the street. When I called I got no return call from the night manager. I called the manager three times before I finally got through. Seemed like they did not care.
Suggestions for future:
Signs on parking lot. Staff to warn customers. Call costumer .......... Don't Tow Customers Car!!!!!!!

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Rick J, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Countryside, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Thank you for choosing to stay with us. I would like to apologize for the issues that you encountered at our hotel. During your stay we began our parking lot renovations and although we did post notices at the front desk and in public areas, we regret that you were not advised of the proper areas to park. We appreciate your feedback and have used this as a method of training to make sure this does not happen again to one of our valued guests.

Travelers are raving about these Countryside hotels

Madison, Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

We booked this hotel at the end of summer based on good reviews at the time. Unfortunately, more recent reviews are more indicative of what we exerienced. The hotel is outdated, but room was very clean. Beds were small but comfortable. We became disappointed and concerned when we realized our room was adjoining a hospitality room. (??) We almost asked to be moved, however, we could not believe that they would actually allow someone in the room after hours and we had plans to be busy most of the time at a hockey tournament. Much to our dismay, at 1:30 AM Sunday morning, the party began next door. It took three phone calls to the front desk to clear the room. That is unacceptable. While I appreciate the fact that they did move the party, it took way took long for that hour of the night. We had already tried to forgive them for the loud pipe noises in the wall when our neighbors took a shower, but the party noise was just too much.
It is too bad, because they have a nice pool area and could be a family hotel.

Room Tip: Would suggest top floor away from conference or wedding activities
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank KLS681
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

Run from this place, book elsewhere! The WORST HI I've stayed at. No room WiFi, 1 lamp in dark room, outdated room, double vs queen sized beds, too few electrical outlets for space, again, no room WiFi ( I mean , really?) no windows to open, hVAC crappy - top loud, too hot or too cold. Three out of control wedding s and guests on a Friday night that screamed and yelled until after 4:00AM. Lastly, the refused to spilt the final bill, something all,other HI do. Crappy stay; crappy HI.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank ChDP
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Countryside, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear ChDP,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. I am very sorry to hear that you had a less than satisfactory experience during your recent stay. I have taken note of your comments. Your feedback will be forwarded to the department involved to address your concerns.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare
Hillsboro, Missouri
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

Beautiful Lobby. Nice, helpful staff. Room was roomy and clean. We had DOUBLE beds. I did not think they even had double beds anymore. My husbands feet hung over the bed, mine were touching the end of the bed, just very comfortable. We returned to our room at approximately 9:45 p.m. after a busy day in Chicago and wanted to relax in the hot tub, only to find out that the hot tub closed at 10:00. NO WiFi in the rooms. No complimentary breakfast in the morning, which we like at other Holiday Inn Hotels. We always stay at Holiday Inn, but do not plan on going back to this one.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Countryside, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear Jennigje123456,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. I am so glad you liked the friendliness of our staff and the cleanliness of your room. I would like to apologize the size of your beds fell below your expectations. I am also sorry you were not able to use the hot tub and the in-room WiFi that did not live up to your expectations. For the breakfast, we have our full service restaurant with plenty of options, and we also have breakfast package rates that is available when making your reservations. We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve. If there is anything you need next time you stay with us, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Also consider these accommodations in or near Countryside
BEST WESTERN Chicagoland - Countryside
SpringHill Suites Chicago Southwest at Burr Ridge/Hinsdale
Hyatt Place Chicago Midway Airport
Chicago Marriott Southwest at Burr Ridge
Super 8 Bridgeview/Chicago Area
Extended Stay America - Chicago - Burr Ridge

Been to Holiday Inn Countryside? Share your experiences!