“Wedding Reservations from Hell”

Hampton Inn St. Louis-Columbia
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Columbia
Reviewed August 15, 2012

I had booked a block of room by contract with this hotel. My son was getting married adjacent to the hotel. I booked January 31, 2012 for August 4, 2012. I called every month to make sure all was ok. Two months before I contacted them to see if I had enough booked or if I needed to add rooms. I was told by the person who signed the contract, if that was necessary they would call me and let me know ahead of time. I never received a call. On August 2, 2012 before the wedding a call was made to book a room and they were told there were no rooms available. I then called to inquire and was told that the employee who signed the contract was no longer there so basically they were sorry. The wedding party and all guests had no where to stay. I panicked and asked to talk to a manager. The manager through out the following days called everytime a room was cancelled by another guest and offered them to me. We did accept 4 rooms. The day of the wedding I had my hiusbanstop by the hotel to assure that we had at least these 4 rooms, he was told there was no problem. When the wedding party got there to check in once again there were no rooms! They scrambled to figure out what to do. When all was said and done we did get 4 rooms. The next day during check out I paid for 3 rooms and a guest paid for 1. I used a major credit card which they had had on file since the contract was emailed. I received a receipt stating 3 rooms were charged and we left. two days after the wedding I noticed the hotel had charged my credit card for 4 rooms (different prices also) and had deducted 4 rooms from my checking account. I immediately called the hotel and they stated once again they were sorry but they would refund the amount taken from checking but it could be 2 weeks before that happened. It is now August 15, 2012 nothing has been resolved. I called again August 15, 2012 ans spoke to the on duty manager. She stated she didn't make the contract so could not help. Without even stating she switched over to another number where I left a message but have gotten no response. If you have a big event or meeting planned I strongly suggest you do not hold the event here or make any reservations here. No matter how on top of it you think you are, it ruined the most special day of our lives!!!!!!

Room Tip: dont use this hotel
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank mascmedic

Reviewed August 12, 2012

This was our first visit to Columbia IL. The Hampton was located only 6-7 miles from our family weekend desitnation, Milltadt, IL. The property looks like the new Hampton architectual style. Inside, the reception area was bright, well lighted and clean. We were greeted promptly and even though we were a little early, assured that 'that' was no problem. Everything in the room was clean and ready for guests. We were interested in a yellow sticky, on the head board "Duvet Covers & Sheets Are Clean For Your Arrival". We thought...that's nice, but wondered about all of the other Hampton properties that we have stayed, but without the yellow sticky. Even though it is a new property, there were NO exhaust/ventilation fans insde the bathroom. Why?

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Amanda F, General Manager at Hampton Inn St. Louis-Columbia, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2012

Thank you for your response. We pride ourselves on not only offering the best, but doing our best as well. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future. Hampton has always cleaned the bedding fresh for each guest. The yellow post-it was something started this year to make sure the guest knew as well. You can look forward to seeing those little notes in all Hamptons very soon, but keep in mind that this has always been the standard from day one! Thank you and again, we look forward to seeing you soon!

Reviewed June 25, 2012

The hotel is not too close to St. Louis. However, if you need to stay in the Columbia area, it's about the only option, but it's good.

I wouldn't recommend staying there for more than two nights, because there really is not a lot to do in the area. Outside of the wedding reception I attended, I couldn't find anything else to do. There is a good local BBQ & Mexican restaurant in the mall adjacent to the hotel.

If you bring your children, they have a nice indoor pool area. The breakfast is very basic (waffles, fruit, muffins, bagels, yogurt, breakfast meat). The eating area was fairly small too. Parking was free and it was a good size lot. Wifi was complimentary which is always a plus. The fitness center has four machines and a good selection of weights and medicine balls to use.

I had asked the person at the front desk if I could get a taxi called for later that afternoon. Instead of arranging that, she handed me a business card to a local company that they deal with. I'm not trying to sound like a snob or a difficult person to deal with, but every hotel I've stayed at before had called the taxi service for me. I expected the same. It's just seemed odd and was a little disappointed by it.

The room had two queen beds and was fairly standard. Nice size tv, desk/work chair, and a comfortable size bathroom.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 14, 2012

Stayed at this hotel on first and last day of our vacation. Nice hotel, clean, friendly. First night we went over the bridge to St. Louis to eat however found out on our second stay that there are good local restaurants nearby. We will stay here again when traveling through St Louis.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 10, 2012

We made a return visit to this hotel this week after having been there 3 months ago. I was floored when the front desk manager, Amanda, asked where Alex was. (Alex is our two-year old Boston Terrier.) I shouldn't have been so surprised since she treated him like a million bucks when we visited last time. (Left him with my sister Suzie because our road trip was so long this time.) Really nice staff. They also made extra effort to get us rooms when we arrived early.

Room Tip: I always ask for first floor.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 18, 2012

I've been "residing" at this Hampton Inn for nearly 2 months. I won't regurgitate the positive feedback in this review - I concur with much of it. It is a fairly new property, so the decor and appointments are updated and comfortable. The staff are very friendly- which is actually where my issue lies. It's nice to be "home away from home," and thought of as family, however, the interactions soon evolved into something TOO casual. I don't expect to be doted on like a prima dona , but I do expect to be treated like a nice and loyal CUSTOMER. After 6 weeks of requesting a fridge & microwave for my room, you would think they would anticipate that need when they prepare my check-in materials each Sunday and have them already set up when I arrive. I eventually just gave up requesting them. Yesterday I had to heat up some food, and when I asked the front desk guy (who was watching some reality show) if & where a microwave was on the main floor, he just answered "yes", without even bothering to take his eyes off the TV. No offer to put one in my room - no assistance in locating the microwave in the closed off kitchen area. Self service.

Also, the walls are SUPER thin. I've requested to change rooms at least 3 of the past 7 weeks I've been here. Bronchosnoris, cheering the home team playing on TV, steamy calls to the wife - all of these noises are sleep prohibitive. Shame really, barely new hotel with poor sound insulation.

A random problem with the free breakfast wouldn't normally be a big deal, but it's icing of disappointment when my breakfast staples of yogurt and fresh fruit are absent, not 1 or 2 mornings, but 3! Each time promised "tomorrow". My half joking comment about bonus points in lieu of breakfast was shot down (but a bottle of water is worth 250 points at check-in!).

It's definitely not the worst place I've stayed. But as a long term guest, I've decided I've had enough settling for sleep interruptions, mediocre service and not getting the same level of attention I did during week 1. So much so, I will be switching to another hotel for the remainder of my stint in rural IL, even though it will increase the daily commute to my work site from 30 minutes to 45 minutes each way.

Stayed: April 2012
3  Thank Gwen D
Reviewed March 14, 2012

I travel allot ofor business, this hotel is always the lowest price in the Hilton chain in the area. It is good Hampton property. Not many restaurants in the area is the only slight negative.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank michiael
Also consider these accommodations in or near Columbia
6 mi away
#3 of 11 in Collinsville
Doubletree Collinsville/St. Louis
Hampton Inn & Suites St. Louis-Edwardsville
Hampton Inn St. Louis/Fairview Heights
Hampton Inn St. Louis/Fairview H...
#4 of 10 in Fairview Heights

Been to Hampton Inn St. Louis-Columbia? Share your experiences!