“Looking for Fall Color”

Weldon Springs State Park
Ranked #1 of 8 things to do in Clinton
Reviewed June 14, 2014

We had a nice drive through the park. Having visited before, we had already seen the Veteran's Memorial and lake. They have pavilions, picnic tables, and areas appropriate for kids to play. It's a small but nice place to visit. Didn't see much color on this trip.

Reviewed May 26, 2014

We took a hike that circles the lake and winds around for two miles. Along the way we saw several birdhouses. Later we learned that there are over 80 birdhouses that are maintained to provide homes for bluebirds. Another pretty spot in this park is called Veterans Point. It is there to honor all veterans. The first thing we noticed were the fifty “Flags of Freedom”. These are only flown on seven holidays and we were lucky enough to visit on one of those holidays. They have many beautiful touches tin this area. One of them is a sculpture that has “Freedom is not Free” inscribed on the base. We enjoyed our walk and everyone we met was very friendly.

Reviewed March 19, 2014

Just a couple of hours from Chicago, St. louis, or Indianapolis is the Weldon Springs State Park. This is an old park. It was a site for Chautauqua lectures at the end of the 19th century. It has not lost its appeal. great camping sites, hiking trails, and fishing. In mid-summer, you can paddle boat around the lake. I grew up here and didn't appreciate what a jewel this park is until I started seeing it through the eyes of my friends who came to visit. Take a day or two to enjoy the best of the midwest.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

My husband & I have always liked cooking out at Weldon Springs. One of the things we always liked was it doesn't close till 10:00p.m., and no one ever came around to bother us. But now we think the Park Rangers should patrol it more often. We were cooking at one of their sites on November 8, 2013, And the time had already changed, so it got dark earlier. When we first got there- there was already a car parked there. (Could have been a white Ranchero with a topper on the back.) But we didn't see anybody, so we just figured they were walking on the trails & would eventually come back & leave. So we started cooking. It got to be about 7:00p.m. & we were almost done cooking, but it was really dark & getting colder. The only light we had was the campfire & 2 little lanterns. We had gotten in the car to warm up while we waited on the food. Then all of a sudden 2 men- probably in their early twenties- came up out of the woods. They came & leaned against their car, (our car was right next to theirs), and they just stared at us in our car. We couldn't hear what they were talking about. I didn't want him to, but eventually my husband got out to check on the food & put the last thing on the grill. I stayed in the car, I was scared. My husband started bringing our stuff to the car to put it away. Then I turned on the headlights so we could both see what was going on better. Then I noticed one of the men put the bandana around his neck up over his nose & mouth- all I could see was his eyes. My husband went to the back of the car for something, and another older man came out of the woods & they all followed my husband. I couldn't see a thing & was about to panic when I saw my husband beside the car door again. I said, "Get the rest of our stuff & LET"S GO!" He said, "Our food is still up there." I told him I didn't care & they could have it. So he got the last thing- them still watching him the whole time. He got back in the car & I pulled away as fast as I could. I'm sure they thought he would go back after the food. And I think it was smart that I never got back out of the car., I could have had a gun or something. I didn't- but they didn't know that. Anyway, We will not be cooking after dark any more. It really is a nice park to enjoy in the daylight though.

5  Thank Diane D
Reviewed October 8, 2013

I love spending time here, walking the trails, spending time at Veteran's point and the old school house! So much to do! The camping is great too!