All reviews pack light front desk beautiful countryside bayreuth festival castle wedding german elevator wifi burg
Selected filters
Reviewed August 31, 2016

We stayed here for the Bayreuth festival - which only took 35 mins to drive to . It is a bit hard to find but a really super place to be . It is silent and in the heart of the forest. So dark that from the terrace we saw the Milky Way. Our suite was huge with probably the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in.At night all you hear are owls and the birds in the falconry. Unless your German is pretty good , don't bother with the tour, but explore on your own. The surroundings are wooded and lovely . Dogs are admitted and made welcome . We wished we had ours with us. Great Breakfast - plenty of choice. The furnishings and art all contribute to staying somewhere very special . I'd love to go back. NB just in case it bothers you , there is no TV in the room. It didnt bother me at all ! Good daytime things to eat and drink in the on site bier garten.

Date of stay: August 2016
Reviewed August 23, 2016

These nothing like hearing "There is a problem with your room"; to get your adrenaline pumping at the beginning of vacation 3000 miles away from home. I may be somewhat culpable, as I had to rebook this hotel a few times to adjust to changing travel plans, but I was charged almost $500 for 2 nights and the hotel missed the detail that I rebooked and so gave my prepaid room away. After they admitted their mistake after 10 minutes of discussion, they did offer "a solution", to either book us at another hotel nearby, or to kick a guest of the owner staying free out of a tiny room and refund us the cost difference between room sizes. Because we had driven 4 hours and were exhausted, and flown overseas to stay at this hotel because of its amenities like the falcon show, we opted to do the latter (still feeling sorry for the folks who management asked leave). It was pretty frustrating that they didn't do much more than to say "our bad, you could check out this other hotel, it's your choice." When we opted to stay, a discounted dinner or free evening drink, or castle tour (which they do), or any kind of extra would have gone a long way, as to not make us feel like an unwelcome inconvenience, but here I am still feeling a bit underwhelmed by our treatment. Kind staff, but unfortunately untrained for when things don't go perfectly. All in all, not a bad spot to spend an adventurous weekend, but be warned that re-booking has significant risks, and that the small rooms are pretty small, even uncomfortably so by European standards. Stay here if you are super into birds as the falconry display is A+. Skip the paid cave tour, but do walk down to it in the evening to sit by the fire. Go ultra prepared if you're coming from the western hemisphere, and don't expect any frills if anything goes south.

Room tip: Avoid the smallest rooms
Date of stay: July 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
BurgRabensteinAhorn, Geschäftsführer at Burg Rabenstein, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2016

We were really sorry for what happened! In fact our staff got confused with the number of cancellations and rebookings. Overbooking is not our policy – therefore our staff is not really trained for this situation. The only solution left that evening was to look for a nice room in another hotel in the surroundings or to ask the TV-Team on work that weekend at Burg Rabenstein to change into administration rooms. Unfortunately they had one of the smallest rooms with a Queen Size bed and we could not give you any other room as the hotel was fully booked that night. Please be sure the TV-Team left their room to you with great pleasure as you had come from so far. Thank you again for your understanding! We were happy to read that in the end you could enjoy your stay with us despite the mentioned inconveniences. Sorry for that once more!

Reviewed June 17, 2016

Castle perched high on the cliff above the river valley. Well maintained and modern conveniences. Elevator and handicap accessible. Suites are spacious and each have a theme but plan to spend a bundle. Breakfast is fit for a king. Tour of the castle is included the stay. The restaurant is lovely and the food is top notch. There is a falconry on the ground and a great outdoor/indoor eating restaurant for lunch. Many beautiful walking/biking/hiking paths for all ages and distances. A lovely place to surround yourself in the beauty of Germany

Room tip: Take a suite if your budget allows.
Date of stay: May 2016
Reviewed August 14, 2015

To begin, this is definitely off the beaten path for most foreign travelers. However, it is worth a visit. They offer a few options of entertainment and interest for visitors, including a falconry and a local cave, as well as a lot of beautiful hiking trails. Most of the people in the surrounding villages will speak little to no English, but are friendly and try to communicate nonetheless. Some delicious local cuisine and beer is available if you venture off the property. On the property, the castle offers free tours to room guests. There is free breakfast that is very nice and the option to eat dinner with a fixed price menu and a variety if beers and wines to accompany. Our dinner was superb, and the staff was so kind. Also, in a room for four people, the pull out sofa bed was not comfortable and very small. I would say that is the only negative about the hotel itself. It is different to stay in a castle so far away from big cities, so be prepared for the aspects that come along with staying here. See it as a positive, as this is a lovely place to stay and well worth it!

Date of stay: August 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed July 14, 2015

Stayed just one night in this absolutely fantastic property - and can't wait to get back! This is really beautiful castle with top-notch rooms (I had double-room, my friend had a suite), perfect service and fantastic surroundings. I go to Franconia every year for a "beer-vacation", so I have stayed in multiple hotels in the area and this one now becomes my first choice for Franconian Switzerland. I've tried several other castles in the area and this one is definitely the best one (from comfort of the rooms to interiors/exteriors). Definitely coming back! Highest recommendations!

Date of stay: July 2015