“Best donut ever”

Ranked #34 of 244 Bakeries in Chicago
Neighborhood: Lincoln Park
Neighborhood: Lincoln Park
Reviewed December 20, 2018 via mobile

Do the pistachio donut. Don’t do the charcoal latte, haha. Visited the location on Clark St and it was a quaint little shop with a cozy fireplace. Hands down the best donut I’ve ever had and wish we’d had time to go back for more on our trip. Don’t worry though Firecakes; we’ll be back soon!

Date of visit: December 2018

Reviewed August 29, 2018 via mobile

I ordered the regular donut with chocolate ice cream and sprinkles. OH. MY. GOODNESS. WOW!! This was such a treat! I will have dreams about this dessert!

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed July 24, 2018

When last visited Firecakes Donuts was nothing but a fledgling shop on West Hubbard but flashing forward almost exactly five years to the day much has changed, the company now spread across five storefronts in The Windy City and their unique collection of fried Pastries having evolved tremendously in terms of taste as well as variety.

Moving in all directions including north towards Lakeview in 2016, the corner of Clark and Arlington near North Pond providing good foot traffic in addition to quick downtown access, it was immediately upon entering a narrow space featuring big windows and limited seating that the day’s choices were perused and debated, two friendly young women happy to offer recommendations when asked but otherwise going about routine tasks as forgettable Pop tunes drifted from speakers at ceiling level.

Having taken on the task of both Cake and Raised rounds plus Fritters from day one, an approach not universal but admirable when done well, it was by way of five selections tallying just under $20 that each style was sampled and starting off with Firecakes’ famous Donut Ice Cream Sandwich it was nice to finally see someone get it right, the frozen housemade slice lodged inside a Honey Glazed Pocket proving quite resistant to melting and thus offering variance in texture and temperature while the patriotic themed flavors were all given a boost by thick Raspberry Jam.

Moving next to a pint-sized Key Lime sphere, the interior spot-on to what one might find in Florida but Whipped Cream a bit spongy and questionably fresh, it was from here that things were back on track with a faultless Old Fashioned glazed and topped with Pistachios while a seasonal Fritter packed with poached Rhubarb and richly spiced Carrot Cake beneath Cream Cheese Frosting and candied Nuts were each also worth every calorie and cent.

Reviewed July 19, 2018

Having caught on to Donuts Is A Thing in Chicago, I googled for best places to go and this came up. We bought 6 different donuts, and every single one was just blah. We honestly each took a bite and then threw the rest of them away. And these are not cheap donuts, so that was very sad. On a happier note, we LOVED the Do-Rite Donuts we had, so I'd recommend you go there.

Reviewed July 9, 2018

Perhaps because I hadn't eaten gluten for two years, these doughnuts were amazing. But after sampling some other city doughnut offerings, namely Doughnut Vault, I found both the dough and glaze at Firecakes to be much better. I also liked that the doughnuts were on view so I could select the ones that appealed to me visually. The service was also quite friendly. Carry on Firecakes, carry on!

Date of visit: July 2018

Been to Firecakes? Share your experiences!