“Location can not be better”

Dewitt Hotel & Suites
Ranked #123 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed June 6, 2010

We stayed at DeWitt Place during a very warm period in June and the window mounted aircondition unit was very inefficient and very noisy. We had to sleep with earplugs and it would have been impossible to watch the TV using any normal sound level (we did not try).

The location is perfect, close to everything central in Chicago. Our room had a little kitchenette and was big enough for two persons but with a sofa that was not at all comfortable.

Keeping the location in mind it would have been an excellent value if the aircondition had been up to date and the furniture of a better quality.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 27, 2010

I was going to give this place a pretty good write-up even before Juan helped us out after God decided to blow up Iceland and we were detained in Chicago for another week. Despite not working on the weekend, his mobile number was available and he arranged to let us (and others) stay on day by day at short notice. Plus he let us check out late when we were finally ready to leave. But all that aside i would definitely come back. $71 per night, for a well appointed studio with a decent kitchen which was a real Godsend. The gym, sauna and steam room were always empty and a lot better than some efforts i've come across in 4 star hotels. As well as all the other amenities mentioned in the other reviews, Dewitt place is also a block away from the MOCA and a great little park with a running track, tennis courts and a gym bars. And at $71 a night it was cheaper than a hostel. Why anyone would stay in a 3 or 4 star when there are places like this around is beyond me. But hopefully they will so that I can still get a booking. Anything it could do better? If pushed i would have to say that the only inconvenience was the lack of a kettle. Coffee maker but no kettle. Okay, so it's not too much hassle boiling water in a pan to make a cup of tea, but maybe they could keep a few kettles in reception for the Brits....

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank barefootboogie
Reviewed April 14, 2010

We stayed at DeWitt Place for five nites. The extended stay hotel is terrific in every way; the location near the Lake and the John Hancock building, the Magnificent Mile and restaurants. Our room was clean and the staff was flexible and available to meet us at the hotel after our train arrived at 10pm Sunday. I'd recommend bringing paper toweling and toilet paper as these items aren't supplied. Our rate thru booking.com was unbelievable.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 10, 2010

Dewitt place is a nice and safe place to stay if you are looking to say at a hotel with no hassles. The building is very historical and beautiful. The room I stayed in was very clean from the kitchen to the bathroom. The bathroom is small so if you are traveling alone it's perfect. The location was great and quiet as it is only two short blocks from Michigan Avenue. I would definitely stay here again!

Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed February 14, 2010

I spent a month in Chicago in November/December 2009, and stayed here. Certainly, this was a nice compromise between staying in a hotel and renting an apartment.

The location is unbelievably good: saying to cabbies, "I live one block east of the John Hancock Tower" felt kind of cool. And the lakeshore is lovely to walk along in the morning, assuming it's not frigid or windy in the Windy City. Water Tower Place gives lots of good cheap food options, and there's a lot of other stuff nearby.

I think one thing that could make DeWitt Place better would be if they pre-stocked the apartments with cleaning/bathroom products. It was, honestly, kind of a pain to have to buy {toilet paper, dish soap, laundry soap, ...}. They supply IKEA pots and pans (which are fine, though I did miss my own kitchen of course), but having to buy all of that stuff kind of sucked. I just dumped my leftover laundry soap in the basement laundry room, and I'm sure someone used it. But it was kind of a waste.

I had some trouble with a neighbour who was smoking in the ostensibly smoke-free building, but that ended a couple weeks before I left. Still, all told, it's a great home-away-from-home, in a great location in a wonderful city.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed January 17, 2010

This January my three friends and I stayed at DeWitt Place in Chicago for a girls weekend. When we first enter the hotel until we left the hotel, the service was wonderful. We were greeted upon arrival and was given a tour. They have a gym which included a sauna which was very nice coming back from a day of shopping. The rooms were very clean and the beds were extremely comfortable. I had a great night sleep without waking up to back aches. It was also a great location. Being very close to Michigan Ave. made things extremely easy. I would recommended this hotel to everyone!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank almom18
Reviewed January 15, 2010

Juan was very kind in greeting us as we checked in, he gave us a tour and showed us to our two rooms. He also made himself available to us should any problems arise. The hotel itself was very clean and quiet, it is also conveniently located near Michigan Ave. Juan let us know about the grocery store right across the street, that was very nice as well since the hotel had a full kitchen. It was a really nice weekend and I'd definitely stay at Dewitt Place again when I travel to Chicago.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends