“Try another sushi restaurant”
Review of Toro Sushi

Toro Sushi
Ranked #1,324 of 9,718 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Asian, Japanese
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Takeout
Neighborhood: Lincoln Park
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I came to Toro because the reviews on here and yelp were really good. We went when the place opened since people complained about the wait and we were the only people in there for about 15 mins or so. The decor is horrible. I don't know if we had an off night but it was horrible. We got 3 rolls and each roll had no flavor whatsoever and fell apart when trying to pick it up because they weren't rolled properly. We did notice that there were 2 very young girls behind the sushi counter who didn't look like they knew anything about sushi. The Tempura roll was the worst shrimp tempura roll I've had and 2 pieces didn't even have any shrimp in it. I mean how do you screw up a shrimp tempura roll?! We asked them to put cream cheese in one roll and the cream cheese was warm and completely melted - didn't taste right. The worst part, we got through most of our rolls and found a blondish hair completely stuck in the rice of the sushi piece. It was definitely the hair of one of the random girls behind the sushi counter. The waitress apologized and only took $3.50 off our bill. Worst service and sushi I've had in the city.
Only good part of the meal was the wine we brought and going to Molly's cupcakes a few doors down. Won't try this place again.

1  Thank AG0623
There are newer reviews for Toro Sushi

Reviewed March 20, 2013

This small sushi restaurant is always packed for a reason: their sushi flavors are one of a kind. It being BYOB gives it even bigger lines because you can eat more for less! The special maki's are what's hot here. Don't try to get creative ordering the simple rolls. Try the OMG, O roll, Big Ten, Kamikaze, Three Amigos...those are a few amongst my favorites. The fish here is fresh and I've been told it's the same distributor as Japonais which explains a lot. Come in early and get ready to be blown away by Mitch's (owner and chef) specialtys. Say hello and give him a beer or glass of wine. He always apprecaites that.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

This little place has absolutely delicious sushi. We got lucky and only had to wait 10 minutes. They don't take reservations and from what I understand the wait can be quite long since the restaurant is small. The pieces of sashimi were absolutely mouthwatering delicious! We ordered more for dessert :). They had lots of choices of unique and tasty rolls. We added this to our new list of favorites! It's also BYOB so if you want to have wine or beer make sure to bring your own!

Reviewed November 25, 2012

I last visited this restaurant years ago and have talked about it ever since. I returned last week, scared that my memories would not match reality. But, WOW...we weren't disappointed! Don't expect fancy or expensive - just DELICIOUS. Mitch, the owner & chef, is the secret ingredient for sure. Expect lines as the place is packed (rightfully so). Mitch has created such different combinations, all dishes look fab and taste out of this world. I know it sounds over the top - try it, then see what you will write! A young crowd definitely dominates (a lot of colleage/univ students - BYOB by the way!) but don't let that keep you away. You'll thank ...MITCH :-) BTW, when I write the 'bar scene' is great - sitting across from Mitch is definitely a win (his personality and personal touch in your dishes).

Reviewed October 21, 2012

We had a fantastic time at Toro! The sushi was amazing and the atmosphere casual and fun. To top it all off, Mitch, the owner is a hoot! Highly recommended! Just an FYI, they do not have a liquor license so make sure to bring your own wine or beer.