Toro Sushi
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Takeout
Neighborhood: Lincoln Park
Reviewed January 20, 2012

Toro Sushi has always been a special treat when I get to Chicago. Went there for the first time when I visited a friend who lived in Lincoln Park in 2008. I love so many things about this place - it is small and intimate, the chef is fun and friendly, and - best of all - it's BYOB!! Be prepared to wait awhile if you're going on a weekend, but you can put your name on the list and go get a drink at a nearby bar. It's worth the wait.

Reviewed July 28, 2011

Toro Sushi is the best sushi by far! I love, love, love this place. Although I wish it was bigger, it's OK, b/c it doesn't stop me from coming. Mitch, the chef, is the friendliest chef I've ever met...you can't find such a happy-go-lucky guy with a great personality like this anywhere else. He greets each and every single one of his customers and also say good-bye to them when they leave. His signature rolls are the best. I love their Agadashi soup - you can't find this anywhere else! The fried tofu in there is too good! I highly recommend this place to sushi lovers and non-sushi lovers. I've brought many people to this place who were not big fans of sushi, but I changed their perspective on their 1st visit. Thanks Mitch!

Reviewed May 5, 2010

Toro is cheap, filling and delicious. They have a large selection of sushi and soup dishes. Although it is tiny, it is great for 2-4 people.

Reviewed September 13, 2009

Consistent with other reviews, Sushi was outstanding. Super fresh, large thick slices, nicely presented, and comparably/reasonably priced. They also have a huge selection of special rolls. I tried the "Dragon", which was a combo of shrimp tempura, unagi, and avocado. Pretty good, but I'm not a big fan of the fancy rolls. Think you get a better bang for the buck, just with normal sushi. Rolls tend to be overpriced, and for "tourists" if you ask me. (I'm speaking generally here, not any special critique of Toro's -- if Rolls are your thing, Toro is still for U). Service by the waitresses was attentive and friendly. Only critique, would be that the food (sushi & rolls) comes out slow. Think they need another Sushi Chef to help.

Reviewed July 9, 2009

Sushi's pretty good, but I've had better. I had their special one day which included torched blue cheese on top of some kind of roll (it's been a while). Creative? Yes. Good? No. All their other rolls were pretty good though.

This place is CONSTANTLY packed! The waitlist is insane, and don't be fooled, just because there's not a line doesn't mean there aren't 15 people ahead of you (and I didn't make up that number)! People can be on a phone waitlist.