“A wow experience”

Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Lakeview
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Rushed into Home Bistro (HB) a rainy evening in Chicago. The place was packed, but the owner met us with a nice smile and said not to worry. He would fix this for us. After a short wait, we had a table by the window. The nice staff took good care of us. The menu gave multiple options and the food was excellent. We will be back her next time in Chicago.

En av de trevligaste ställena vi varit på på väldigt länge.

Reviewed October 19, 2012

This restaurant is special! It has a very welcoming atmosphere as one might infer from having "home" in its name. The staff made us feel that they had invited us for dinner in their own home. And the food was outstanding. The four of us each ordered a different dish but also tried each others'. We were in agreement that each of them was terrific. I highly recommend Home Bistro.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

Came here for night out with hubby and some BYOB. Saw many couples, a group of friends and single people. Its a great intimate environment where the waitstaff make you comfortable.
We called ahead that night for reservations. I'm unsure if they are needed if you show up early. We got there at 7pm and it was still empty...full by 8pm though.

Bacon wrapped dates with almonds...best appetizer ever!

They have evening specials that the cook created...so I had the special
Gnochi with peaches and pork. Sound strange but was amazing on my palate. the Dish was SO big I had leftovers.
Husband had the rabbit dish. Delightful.
Entrees ~$20-25
Appetizers ~$5-10
and BYOB!!!!! no corkage fee! You should go!

Reviewed September 16, 2012

This is our second visit; the last was a couple of years ago. I was not aware of the Dutch connection until I sampled the artichoke/edam fritters and knew immediately that they were bitterballen -- or similar.

The salads were lovely; the fritters perfectly fried and not greasy. My husband had a fish stew that he a boullibaise lover found excellent. My son was a fan of the hog jowl sandwich. My trout was beautifully prepared and served with pickled cabbage, potatoes, a soft boiled egg and horseradish creme fraiche.

The owner is charming, on top of the service, and treated us to a sample of dessert as we discussed Dutch cuisine with him.

The place is also BYOB.

We will definitely be back; one of the best restaurants we have tried since our recent move to Chicago.

Reviewed July 31, 2012

All the acclaim is well-deserved. It is rare enough to find a truly inspired menu so well executed. But to find it in such a friendly unpretentious atmosphere is even more surprising. We greatly enjoyed the repartee with owner Jon.
Our group had 5 appetizers, 5 entrees, and 4 desserts – all were remarkable.
This is a BYOB establishment. The 7-11 across the street has some decent wines. Its proximity allows you to sprint over and purchase wine to match your meal choices before the appetizers arrive. How cool is that.
The whole experience was much more memorable than the Blue Man Group entertainment we saw later that night close by.

Been to Home Bistro? Share your experiences!