“Best Cupcakes!”

Ranked #43 of 255 Bakeries in Chicago
Neighborhood: Lincoln Park
Neighborhood: Lincoln Park
Reviewed July 14, 2014 via mobile

I visit Swirlz each time I'm in town and they are, by far, the best cupcakes I've ever had. I couldn't pick a favorite flavor if I tried, but the red velvet is on their everyday menu and it is incredible. They also have vegan and gluten free cupcakes which are also delicious. Adorable shop, amazing cupcakes!

Reviewed November 26, 2013

Stumbled upon this place as we were exploring Chicago - it was close to the end of the day and we weren't sure they would even be open but they were! Sadly, most flavours of cupcakes were already gone so only a few choices remained so if you are actually making a purposeful trip go early to avoid this. The cupcakes are pretty to look at but average in flavour. The icing is very smooth and not grainy at all - actually a bit of a surprise how smooth the texture was - not oily, but almost slick?! Had the chocolate and the surprise (chocolate strawberry) - they were good, but not amazing. Similar to the ones you pick up at the grocery store bakery. Staff were friendly.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

There was nothing to not like about this place. The cupcakes are as beautiful looking as they are tasting! I think I would become impressively round if I lived in the vicinity.

Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

We stopped here on the Bikes, Bites and Brews tour. Very cute shop. Display of cupcakes was lovely. When I heard the list of the flavors I was immediately excited. I thought it was awesome how they accommodate those with vegan or celiac restriction, neither of which i have. I opted for the "surprise" of the day which was chocolate chip with peanut butter butter cream and my husband had maple pecan. We got forks because the cupcakes were very large. They were also very pretty. So far so good. Now for the taste. Mine was very dry and flavorless on the cake part and the butter cream was oily. I ate a second bite only to confirm my first impression. I tried my husband's, more of the same, but the maple flavor was better. The filling in that one helped the cake not be as dry.

Maybe I am used to the moist, fresh cupcakes I get at my go-to bakery back home, but these didn't compare. Listening to verbal reviews from most others on the tour, the sentiment was mutual.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

I have celiac disease and I am lactose intolerant, so I never really get to indulge in any baked goods. The fact that this place exists and specifically caters to people with allergies is incredible to me. We were warmly greeted when we came in, and they immediately began to recommend cupcakes for me based on my selective diet. They went above and beyond and the staff were extremely friendly. They offered us samples of their cupcakes and shortbread before deciding on a flavour. The outrageously friendly owner even gave us an extra cupcake to take home and eat later, without charging us. After we picked our cupcakes and were sitting down to eat them, the owner came over and also gave us each a gluten free/dairy free cookie for our drive home. Again, for free! She was incredibly nice and made a point of saying goodbye to us before she left her store for the day. It was honestly the highlight of my trip.

1  Thank kelseyalexandra