“Good find in second city”

Doubletree by Hilton Chicago Magnificent Mile
Ranked #108 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Marquette, MI
“Good find in second city”
Reviewed September 28, 2010

Hotel is small, so I liked it's easy in and out.decor is more retro. And rooms are fine. Like the fact they have lots of electrical outlets. Room is also conducive to getting work done. I like the location, easy to get around. The hotel has a decent restaurant called Marketplace that serves unique dishes & uses local
produce. Staff at both places are helpful and extremely nice.

• Stayed September 2010
DT-HCMM, Guest Service Admin. Asst. at Doubletree by Hilton Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, October 8, 2010
LizardMarquette_MI, thank you for sharing your recent experience at the Doubletree, we are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the hotel and the location. We hope that you will be back to visit us soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed September 27, 2010

My wife and I went to Chicago to celebrate our 10th anniversary. After reading some of the reviews I became a tad nervous. After this weekend, I'd feel comfortable recommending this hotel to anyone. The cost seemed high but since I was redeeming Honors points it was not a concern. Most downtown hotels are expensive anyway.

Check in was fast and efficient and as always our Doubletree cookie was great. We were put on the 16th floor and had a decent, not great view of the North side of downtown and a sliver of Lake Michigan. The room was nice, clean and comfortable. The bathroom was above average and clean. Decent room.

Location was pretty good, not great. You are two blocks or so off the Magnificient mile, not too far. Would have liked to seen a few more hot spots for late night but there wasn't anything walkable other than Timmy O'tooles pub right across the street. Fun place but way to crowded. We were about 6 blocks from the closest El station. Walkable but I'd have liked to be a little closer. Seemed like this was the case for all attractions. Note: If you are going to a Cubs game (we did and it was great even though the Cardinals lost) get to the El a couple of hours early. The trains are PACKED if you wait until an hour before game time.

I don't think I have any complaints. Earlier reviews complained of thin walls. We did experience some noise around 4am (A bachlorette party coming in after drinking all night) but that happens about anywhere on a Sat. night. They could use some updated televisions but not a huge deal as we were out and about most of the weekend.

Checkout was fast and easy. It's a 40-50$ cab ride to O'hare so the Conciege informed us of their towncar service. Flat $45 fee in a much nicer vehicle. I'd recommend it.

All in all this was a pleasant hotel that was above average, not great. I didn't experience the slow elevators that everyone was complaining about. It's a bit pricey but it's a nice stay. Any complaints I'd have would be very nitpicky and could happen anywhere.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
DoubletreeMM, Guest Relations Administrator at Doubletree by Hilton Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, September 29, 2010
Response: Dear guest,
Thank you very much for your descriptive feedback and visitor recommendations! We are happy you decided to stay with us and hope you had a memorable 10th anniversary celebration. As a side note, The Doubletree hotel Magnificent Mile is much busier during summer months, and as such, the elevators are more frequented and can slow down the cars from operating at optimal speed. We thank you again for such a pleasant review and for choosing us. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Very Best,
Guest Relations Administrator
PASADENA, CALIFORNIA
Reviewed September 26, 2010

Clean place with friendly staff. I would only stay there again if it was the cheapest in chicago. My wife would prefer a little more luxurious. No hot tub. Sheets were very soft & comfy.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
DT-HCMM, Guest Service Admin. Asst. at Doubletree by Hilton Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, October 25, 2010
Dear Traveladix, thank you for your comments on your recent stay here at the Doubletree Mag Mile. I am happy that you and your wife had a nice time here at the hotel and I hope that you will stay with us in the near future. Please check our site online for our great packages for a great getaway! Hope to see you again soon!
PA
Reviewed September 24, 2010

Unfortunately, the bad outways the good for this hotel. Here is the good: The Doubletree was recently renovated, the beds are comfortable and the location is good. The bad. Poor housekeeping and paper thin walls. Although the hotel was renovated, the bathroom doesn't have a fan and the ceiling was full of mildew and paint was peeling. Altough we had 2 in our party-bath only had, 2 towels, 2 hand towels and washclothes-no bathmat.. I used small handtowel and almost hurt myself when I got out of shower and lost my footing on tile floor. Missing soap and hairdryer had broken prongs. We experienced same problem as other entries with paper thin walls-- loud talking around 5:00 a.m. I thought the talking was in the hall so I opened the door only to find out that noise was coming from next door. When I complained about housekeeping issues at checkout (we left 2 days early) I was told that they had a long list of complaints about the room. Since I didn't make any complaints, these must have been from previous stay. Do yourself a favor, if you want to spend $200 plus per night, look elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank PAHITTHEROAD
Dear PAHITTHEROAD,
I apologize for your recent experience at the Doubletree. I would appreciate if you could let me know what room number you stayed in so that we can rectify any issues in the bathroom. I wish we had known about your need for additional towels and supplies we would have been happy to supply you. I am sorry and my apologies for having been disturbed during the night due to neighboring noise. We do our very best to make all customers feel at home and make their stay a pleasant experience. We would appreciate you giving us another try.
Best,
Napa, CA
Reviewed September 24, 2010

This hotel is in a fantastic location and within (close) walking distance to nearly everything you’d want to experience in Chicago. Nightlife, shopping, dining, architectural tours, fabulous parks, Navy Pier the Art Institute are just a short walk from this hotel. The hotel itself is nice. It’s clean and comfortable and reasonably priced but the location is the main draw here. It’s a great place for a weekend getaway for friends or couples trying to budget a bit and it is a casual enough spot to bring a family with young children. There is a bagel and coffee shop in the hotel which makes for a quick and easy breakfast before heading out to explore or catching your shuttle to the airport. This is not the place to stay if you are looking for luxury or exclusivity.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Dear mmig222,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent visit. I am pleased you enjoyed the convenient location of our hotel. We pride ourselves on our prime location and proximity to Chicago’s main attractions. If your travels bring you back to Chicago, we look forward to having you stay with us again.
Very best,
Reviewed September 19, 2010

I will never stay here again! The rooms are updated with new finishings, but that's all that was upgraded. The WALLS ARE PAPER THIN. The people next door came in from the bar at 4 am and were not being exceptionally loud, yet I could hear every word they said. I realize this is downtown Chicago, but I would think that one could get a decent hotel for $250 a night. Spend your money elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2010
1 Thank Adam B
Dear guest,
I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay and I apologize for the noise disturbance next door to your room. I wish we had been informed of the disturbance and could have had a chance to minimize your sleep disruption. Again, I am truly sorry for the inconvenience but would hope that you try us again when travels bring you to Chicago.
Best,
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Reviewed September 8, 2010

My spouse and I went on a getaway weekend over Labor Day weekend and this was our first stay at the Doubletree. Cookies upon arrival are a nice touch and check-in was quick and uneventful. The lobby always seemed very congested due to its small size and elevator waits were quite long at all times.

Our room was clean and quite adequate. The beds are comfortable. The bathrooms are dimly lit and the TVs are in need of updating.

On the second night of our stay, we were awakened at 4 a.m. by our next door neighbors returning from a night out on the town. They were slamming doors, screaming, laughing and playing loud music. I called the hotel operator and they alerted security. The noise continued, and I placed a second call to the hotel operator at approximately 5:30 a.m. and asked her if security was ever going to take care of the problem. I told her if the noise didn't stop, the next call I was making was to the police. Security responded immediately and escorted the disrespectful guests out of the hotel. We didn't get back to sleep until after 6 a.m.

My husband spoke with a manager the next morning and said she was disturbed that the noise was allowed to go on as long as it had and promised to talk to the security staff. Besides the two calls we made, they received three other complaints regarding the noise. The manager was kind enough to reduce our bill by 50% for the second night stay.

We would be hard pressed to stay at this property again considering our experience. We know this can happen anywhere, but the lackluster response from the security staff is inexcusable.

On a bright note, kudos to the doormen, bellhops and concierge. They couldn't have been more friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
DT-HCMM, Guest Service Admin. Assistant at Doubletree by Hilton Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, September 14, 2010
Mark3r80, thank your for commenting on your recent stay at the Doubletree Hotel Chicago Magnificent Mile. I apologize for the noise disturbance on your floor and for the lapse in time security took to handle the situation. I can assure you that this is not our standard when dealing with noise complaints. I am glad that the front desk was able to assist you, and as for the TV’s we are in the process of updating them in all of the guest rooms. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope that you will be back in the near future!