“Crossroads Weekend”

Doubletree by Hilton Chicago Magnificent Mile
Ranked #109 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed July 3, 2010

We booked the Doubletree as part of a Southwest Vacation package. The hotel has been remodeled and is fairly nice,not great, but adequate. Some areas were overlooked during the rehab. Sound on the television was either loud or could not hear it, the AC in the room would not keep the room cool and all vents were rusty and dirty. The price was good on the vacation deal and the location is fantastic, close to Michigan Ave. and Navy Pier. The outdoor pool is a great setting. The staff was extremely friendly.
We were in Chicago for Crossroads Festival and used Chicago's mass transit to the concert and to a Cubs game.
West Egg is a must for breakfast and is right across the street from the hotel. All in all, a great weekend in Chicago.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
DT-HCMM, Guest Service Admin Assistant at Doubletree by Hilton Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2010

Nationalparks, thank you for your comments about your recent stay at the Doubletree Hotel Chicago Magnificent Mile. I apologize about the room and the items you stated were not up to standard, they are being checked. I am glad that your weekend was a great one and we hope that you will be back again.

Reviewed June 28, 2010

I just got back from Doubletree Chicago Mag Mile. I booked my trip thru Expedia -- this is my second time using them and I didn't have any problems! My stay there was wonderful. I was a little worried because I was traveling alone -- but not worry, I felt safe my whole vacation. I stayed 6-24 thru 6-27.

Check in went smoothy. I was in my room within 10 to 15 minutes (if that) !!! I stayed on the 13th floor -- what a view!!! This was my first trip to Chicago and I made a great choice in the Doubletree Mag Mile, and Michigan Ave. and other sites were within walking distance or by bus (cheaper than cabs and stops right outside the hotel door). The bus to Navy Pier came right by the hotel.

My room was very nice, clean and comfortable. Did I mention the view!!! It was awesome. The bed was comfortable. As mentioned before, there was the mini-bar with sensors -- but I didn't touch anything. I went over to Dominiks (right across the street) and picked up my refreshments and snacks!

I had breakfast in the Markethouse Restaurant in the hotel the first day -- they had a breakfast buffet - it was good but expensive! For the next couple of days, I went across the street to West Street Cafe -- the breakfast was delicious and much less expensive. I also got a burger from there for lunch -- it was delicious!

Overall, I had a great vacation. This will definitely not be my last time in Chicago! I will definitely be back and I will definitely stay at the Doubletree Mag Mile!!!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank sclark521

Sclark521, thank you for your comments about your stay at the Doubletree Hotel Chicago Magnificent Mile. We are pleased to hear that you had a wonderful time here at the hotel. We look forward to your return in the near future.

Reviewed June 28, 2010

We spent two nights here over a weekend in late June, 2010. We arrived early and were able to check in around 11:00am, which was nice. Our rooms were fairly large. The air conditioning worked very well. The bed was very comfortable. Couple of negatives- the TV remote did not work and our shower did not drain. After about 5 minutes you were standing in water up past your ankles.

The hotel has a great outdoor pool on the 5th floor, which was a nice place to relax and cool off. They have servers who will bring you food and drinks.

The elevators were a major problem. We had to wait a very long time (all times of the day) and we had a hard time finding an elevator going down that wasn't already completely full. They need to fix this- all of the elevators service all 26 floors, so by the time they get to the 10th floor or below there is just no room on them. So we would have to ride the elevator up in order to get a spot on the way down.

The location of this hotel is great- you are two blocks off of Michigan Avenue.

Overall this hotel was just okay. I would stay here again if the price was right.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 23, 2010

The best about this hotel is that it has a reasonable price for a very good location. The hotel is surely above average, but also not one of the best hotels I can remember. It is modern, clean and functional. The staff is correct, the breakfast ok, the rooms are large enough and clean.

The best thing about the hotel is that it is located at walking distance to the Magnificent mile, Lake Michigan and the harbor, Grant Park and the loop...

It is a hotel surely worth considering when staying in Chicago.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
DT-HCMM, Guest Service Admin Assistant at Doubletree by Hilton Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2010

Drfruenk, thank you for commenting on your recent stay here at the Doubletree Hotel Chicago Magnificent Mile. We are glad that you enjoyed your time in Chicago and we hope to you will stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed June 11, 2010

I am an optimist and I really thought the bad reviews were anomolies. Not so. When I checked-in it never occurred to me to ask for a non-smoking room. I didn't even know hotels still had smoking rooms...and the person checking me in didn't mention that that was what I was getting. I get to my room and I notice very strange over-deodarized smells but I don't connect the dots. I go into the room, unpack and find that the bathroom is not clean. I called Housekeeping and they said they would send someone to clean. Then I see the ashtray and realize the room is smoking. Since housekeeping was there to clean, I went to the front desk to sort out moving me to another room. I was treated very poorly because I had booked through Hotwire. She explained that I was given that room because I booked through Hotwire and they stopped putting smokers on that floor a week ago. Not true--people were smoking on the floor that night. I was extremely disappointed in the hotel and the service at the front desk. I will say that the bellmen were very helpful and friendly. If you don't want people who booke through online services, then don't participate. It is unacceptable to treat us like second class citizens by booking through a service you clearly subscribe to.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank ncjayhawk

Ncjayhawk, thank you for your feed back regarding your stay at the Doubletree Hotel Chicago Magnificent Mile. I apologize for the inconvenience of being in a room that was not what you had expected. Please know that we treat our guests the same regardless of how the room was booked. I apologize and have addressed this with the front desk. Thank you and we hope that you will be back again in the future.

Reviewed June 9, 2010

I stayed for 3 nights in may at this Doubletree property and i really liked it very much. I got a great deal on Priceline and had called the hotel previously to confirm my bedding requests. On arrival i was informed that they were out of king beds for that night, so they assigned me another room with 2 double beds.

When i entered the room i smelled this sweat odor being so repulsive. The odor came from the pillows in the beds. It seems that housekeeping hadn't changed or washed the pillows from the previous guest stay. I called the Front Desk and told them about the situation and they offered to assign me another type of room in a lower floor. Well, i acepted. They other room was clean but still had some odors but i decided no to bother anymore.

Einstein Bros bagels downstairs is a plus foor breakfast and a good alternative for the pricey breakfast buffet the hotel offers at $18 plus tax. Also try West Egg Cafe right in front of the hotel.

There is wi-fi in the lobby and a kiosk to print your flight boarding passes. The hotel has a swimming pool. I wiill post pictures so you can see it for yourself.

Location is very centric to the river, Navy Pier, Michigan Avenue for shopping, John Hancock, etc.... There is also a Imax theather 2 blocks away with a bowling center along. Subway is 4-5 blocks away (Red Line at Grand). This line takes you to the loop and to oher places in the city.

Cookies were given at the beggining of my stay and at check out i asked for one and they gave me 2 without problem. The front desk staff is very helpful but i cannot say the same from the concierge guy, who gives directions or recommendations like if he was making you a favor.

I would stay again at this hotel expecting the room were clean and spotless upon arrival. I would rate it a solid 3.5 star.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank vacationer16
DT-HCMM, Guest Service Admin. Asst. at Doubletree by Hilton Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2010

Vacationer16, thank you for taking time to comment on your recent stay at the Doubletree Hotel Chicago Magnificent Mile. I am sorry for the inconvenience of being room moved and the actions of the concierge. I appreciate your bringing this to our attention and can assure you that your comments have been addressed. Thank you and we hope that you will be back in the near future.

Reviewed June 4, 2010

My wife, son, and I just returned from a 4 night stay at this hotel. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here. The location was so convenient! Walking distance to many attractions and just a few blocks from the Red Line for others further away. The staff from the cleaning staff to the bellmen to the concierge were all super-friendly and very helpful. The room was a very nice size, was clean, and quiet. Special kudos to the wonderful customer service provided by Assistant Manager Selma! We had an issue with our room assigment and she immediately went to work to remedy the situation to our complete situation and did so with a smile and caring attitude! We will definitely stay here again the next time we visit the wonderful city of Chicago.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank TNTraveler37122

TnTraveler37122, thank you for taking time to comment on your stay at the Doubletree Mag Mile. We are pleased to hear that you had a great time, I will make sure to inform the rest of our staff about your satisfaction with their performance. We hope that you will visit us in the future!