“Served its purpose, central location, not convenient for families”

Doubletree by Hilton Chicago Magnificent Mile
Ranked #109 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed March 17, 2009

We stayed at the Doubletree Hotel Chicago Magnificent Mile in March, Room 2121. We paid for lakeview and did have a partial view of the lake. This is a nice hotel about 2 blocks east of the Magnificent Mile and about 2 blocks north of the Chicago River/Wacker Drive area. Convenient to shopping and walking to other attractions. There is a Dominick's across the street, and Dunkin Donuts, Panera Bread, and other places to eat right nearby.

First, the positives. We really liked how friendly everyone was towards us. The check in was effiecient, except I had to remind them about our breakfast vouchers. But it was immediately corrected. We had warm cookies waiting for us. The concierge was helpful and friendly. The bellhop was professional and friendly. The restaurant staff was friendly, as was housekeeping. The food at the restaurant was great. We had a breakfast buffet, with eggs, bacon, sausage, hash browns, eggs made to order, cereals, pastries, bread/toaster, fruit, yogurt, regular and chocolate milk. We got this breakfast free each morning as it was part of the Memory Maker Weekend through the Doubletree website. The hotel was clean and presentable. The bedding was clean and crisp. Beds were comfortable. The bath towels were cozy. The furniture and accessories were high quality.

Now for the negatives for me. Please keep in mind that others may not mind this. We traveled as a family of four. The first thing I noticed was there was no counter space in the bathroom. The sink was a pedastal sink. It seemed like we had a handicap accessible room so maybe that is why. There just wasn't any where to put our "stuff". The room seemed small, although for Chicago standards, it was probably fine. Not a lot of room to move about. There was a $15 per person per day charge for the first day for use of the health club where the pool was, and a $5 per person per day charge for every day thereafter. There was a $9.95 per day charge for internet. Self parking is $41 per day. It just seemed like they nickled and dimed. There was a mini bar and a minibar fridge, but don't touch anything! It has sensors on it. If you pick something up and it is off the sensor for more than 30 seconds, your room gets automatically charged for the item, even if you don't open it. They will take the charge off, but that isn't the point to me.

There were no channels for children on the TV. When we were winding down at night around 10 p.m., I turned on the TV. The cartoon channel had adult cartoons on it. No big deal there, but when I was flipping through, an explicit adult channel came on. Ooops. So I found the parental controls on the TV. There were no other kids channels on. So we watched Travel Channel, which was okay by me!!

Our room was against the elevator shaft, so we heard the noise from that all night. In addition, there were at least 2 rooms that had partiers in them. However, the management came up when someone must have complained and they toned it right down. The staff and management is really on top of most everything in this hotel.

I think for a business traveler or a couple on a get away weekend, this hotel would be very nice. I just don't think they cater to families.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Manders6231
There are newer reviews for Doubletree by Hilton Chicago Magnificent Mile

Reviewed March 13, 2009

I was staying with my daughter and granddaughter for one night at the Red Roof Inn. The RRI was horrible! I got up the next morning, after a fitful night of feeling like bedbugs were attacking, and walked down the street a couple of block and found the Doubletree. The staff was wonderful and very courteous. I was offered a room right away and we moved in for 2 nights there. It was great. When I come back again with my husband we will probably stay there. We had a beautiful view with a partial view of the lake. Gorgeous big room and very clean compared with the filth of our previous room at RRI!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed February 27, 2009

My two co-workers and I checked in on a Wednesday night and were greeted warmly-- this is a classic DoubleTree hotel, true to form. Rooms were satisfactory-- very clean, modern, and "classy". They are of typical downtown Chicago size, so nothing really jumped out at me. I will say it's an excellent hotel for its value and a perfect place to stay, but there are many hotels in the area that also fit this criteria.

Breakfast at Einstein's Bagels in the lobby was great, and while we didn't stop at the bar in the lobby, it looked like a great place to hang out. With a block or two off of Michigan Ave, the location cannot be beat.

Don't hesitate to stay here if you are in town!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank Diyguy07
Reviewed February 26, 2009

We stayed here Feb. 19 - 22, 2009 and I can not say enough good words about this place! When we arrived it was late and check-in was a breeze. Parking is great because the lot is attached to the hotel. So if you need to get your car out, you can do it yourself. Our room had a great view of the John Hancock Building. Hotel customer service was extremely professional and helpful. We asked for a couple of extra towels and they brought an armload right away. We had stepped out for breakfast one morning and when we came back to our room housekeeping was already there cleaning. She even asked us to put our room key in to verify it was actually our room. On the Sat. night of our stay my sister became violently ill (she got food poisoning from a diff restaurant) and I had to call the front desk at midnight. They told me where the nearest ER was and then when we came down to the lobby they already had a cab waiting for us. They were extrememly attentive and helpful. When we came back they wanted to know how she was doing and if there was anything they could do for her. They went above and beyond any hotel staff that I've ever seen!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank Deadiebear
Reviewed February 12, 2009

My sister and I stayed at the Doubletree for a three day stay in Chicago. I had read all of the reviews on this site and ended up opting for the Doubletree instead of a four start hotel because it sounded so great. All of the staff at the hotel and the beds were excellent. The actual hotel was okay but really nothing special. The pool (though not owned by the hotel) and hot-tub area is in need of some upgrading. The location is convenient (about 2 blocks to Michigan Ave) and there are a few restaurants nearby. Overall, the hotel was average and next time I will opt for something different.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 28, 2009

Great Location - Great Staff - Stylish, Comfortable, Clean, This hotel is the best Doubletree i have staryed at, It is better than some of the Hilton Main Brand full service hotels.

The staff etc where great, room very very nice, clean and crisp bedding in quality linen. and one a short walk from everything.

Well done Doubletree Chicago.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Neill F
Reviewed January 22, 2009

Stayed here with my girlfriend for three nights over New Year's...got a great rate under $100/night...this hotel did a very nice job with the renovations! Check-in was super pleasant, the room was clean and comfortable, the bed was unbelievable, and it was quite convenient having an Einstein's in the lobby. Did not use the access to the next door fitness center but it must have been great as I saw many other guests taking advantage of it.

Location could not have been better...all the shops of Michigan Ave are a short walk and there is a Dominick's (grocery store) only a block away. Only con was wireless was $10/day...

Would absolutely stay here again!

Stayed: December 2008