“good hotel in downtown chicago”

Doubletree by Hilton Chicago Magnificent Mile
Ranked #109 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Convenient hotel located close to Michigan Ave and Navy Pier. Good view of the city. Rooms are very clean and service was good. There are several restaurants within walking distance to the hotel. Look around for for some good deals to stay here.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
DT-HCMM, Guest Services at Doubletree by Hilton Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Dear Busy2bme,
Thank you for the feedback about your recent stay here at the DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago Magnficent Mile! We are so happy to hear about your experience and we hope to see you again in the future.
Best regards,

Reviewed March 29, 2013

As a disabled traveler who used to work in hotel management, I see things from a slightly different angle. This hotel was easy in/easy out. The room was very clean (handicap accessible roll-in shower). Elevators were fast and plenty of them - no waiting. REALLY nice people at the bagel shop attached to the hotel. Hotel staff were especially accomodating and REALLY nice for the most part. Front desk staff very helpful. Valet especially helpful - I truly wish I could remember his name because he was so kind! Concierge staff...one was fine ( I only had one question for him) but the other was...distant? I went to the concierge for help ordering in supper since our son wasn't feeling well. I felt like I was interrupting something very important on his computer because I would ask a question, he would give me a pamphlet and while I was still in front of him in my scooter he would just go back to his computer and ignore me until I asked another question. It took, I think, 5 questions before he finally gave up the area guide for ordering in. He answered all my questions but surely didn't make me feel welcome. Its too bad, because I was prepared to tip well, but he didn't earn it. I used to teach customer service classes and I think he could use a refresher course.

Disabled room was not designed by anyone actually disabled. While it looks nice, there are several things wrong with it: The shower had very smooth, very slippery tiling. Disabled people generally have problems with balance anyway so this was a real hazard. I refused to risk it, it was so slick!

The office chair in the room was one of those that tips backwards really fast. I almost fell over backwards! Again, nothing a disabled person should be sitting in. No matter how we fussed with it we couldn't get it to lock in place. BIG hazard.

There is 1 little tiny glass shelf (6 inches wide by 24 inches long) in the bathroom to put your toiletries on. Nothing else. No room for much on the sink as it is a pedastal sink. It has glass glasses sitting on it. Glass/tile floors/disabled people with possible motor skill issues? Again, not designed for disabled people.

There is a nice window seat to sit and look at the city and we even had a bit of a view of the lake! Our valet took the time to point out different things we were looking at and to give us instructions on how to get where we were going. Again, VERY nice person. This man could (and should!) teach customer service classes! Even if he was working for a tip, he went above anything he had to do and really made us feel welcome. He recognized me in the lobby the next night and took the time to greet me, even tho he wouldn't be around to get another tip from us when we checked out. THAT is customer service!

Price was good, especially for what is supposedly a 4 star hotel (although I don't see the hotel part as 4 star). The restaurant is definitely upscale. We didn't eat there because we were too tired to get dressed up after a day at the museum but we did go in and check out their menu, which seemed very elegant.

I was very surprised to find they didn't have valet parking! Every other hotel I checked out had it so it didn't dawn on me to ask about this. Fortunately I was traveling with someone else who could park the car in the ramp or this might have been an issue for me with my wheelchair.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
KokuaHospitality, Guest Services at Doubletree by Hilton Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2013

Dear Kathy R,
Thank you for your review. We will certainly take your valuable feedback into consideration as we periodically review our accessible guest accommodations. Allow us to apologize if there was a lack of attentiveness exuded by our Concierge, but this will be addressed. We pride ourselves with our gracious service and we were very sorry to learn that our Concierge services fell short. It gives us great pleasure to read that our bellmen exceeded expectations during your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

I got a great deal on Hotwire for a 2 night stay (the hotel is listed as 3.5 stars there). The location was good, and as I am sure is true of any location in downtown Chicago, we were surrounded by tons of shopping and good places to eat. We had a great view of the city from the 18th floor.
We didn't have to wait more than a minute on an elevator our entire stay, which has been an issue at the last few hotels I've visited. We were staying through the week, so that probably helped.
The room was very nice and the beds were great. Maybe it was from all the sightseeing and walking, but my wife, kids and I all slept like logs! We didn't require much interaction with hotel staff, but every staff member we did talk to was very nice.

One downside is the cost of hotel parking. It cost us $45 per night in the hotel garage. We did have in and out privileges using our room key, but still that is a lot to pay for parking! I'm pretty sure much better parking rates are available in the surrounding parking garages, so you may want to consider that if you won't need quick access to your car or in and out privileges.

As with some of the other nicer hotels, wifi is not free (unless you are a gold or diamond hilton honors member). I did have access to attwifi on my phone (comes with my AT&T plan) and the AT&T LTE was actually faster than attwifi. I wasn't going to pay $20 a day for my tablet to use hotel wifi, so I just used my phone.

Overall, very good stay. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank InBrown5

Dear InBrown5,
Thank you for your review. We are happy to learn that you were able to secure a great deal to stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago Magnificent Mile. Allow us to apologize if the cost of parking caused any inconvenience during your stay with us. Our parking rates are comparable to other neighboring hotels. We look forward to serving you again soon.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

The problems with this stay was:
1. The room was not clean until 45 minutes after the 3pm check-in time.

2. The exhaust fan in the bathroom was not strong enough to defog the room.

3. The room was not well insulated, and you heard every noise, including rude late night guests (3am).

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Scott B,
Thank you for your review and happy belated Anniversary. It disappoints us to read that you encountered some challenges during your recent stay. Rest assured, your comment about the time of service will be shared with our housekeeping department. We hope to invite you back for a much improved stay.

Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

Let me first say that I used HotWire to book the hotel - it was one of those "pay before you know" deals. I paid for a 3.5 star near the Magnificent Mile Area and it just happened to be this one. Paid $190 for 2 nights.... Later found out our room was going for $299 plus tax PER night! Amazing deal.

About the hotel - very friendly staff, greeted nicely & was given a delicious warm cookie at check-in. Our room was on the 18th floor & had a nice view of surrounding buildings & streets. Loved the bedding & overall look of the room. Smelled & looked clean. Loved the sitting bench by the window. I really loved having the option of skipping the maid service & getting an $8 voucher in return to spend down at Einstein Bagels, yum! GREAT location - we walked everywhere. Reasonable taxi rates if need-be. Overall great experience

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank MissMicheleJ

Dear MissMicheleJ,
Thank you for your review. We are delighted to hear that you had an all-around great experience at the DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago Magnificent Mile. It would be a pleasure to serve you again soon.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

We had a huge window with a great view of the city from our room. There was even a nice padded bench that ran the length of the window. I loved having 2 queen beds instead of 2 doubles. There's so much more room (plus more pillows)! The decor in the room was in good taste. I really liked being able to recycle in our room; I don't think I've ever seen this. The trash cans were divided in 2 with a green section for recycling items and the other side for regular trash. What a great idea! Despite the fact that I was pleased with our room, and I would stay there again, there were a few things that bothered me. It wasn't exactly sound proof. You could still hear sirens outside as well as doors banging shut in the hallway. This isn't the only hotel with this problem. I understand the need for automatic locking, heavy doors, but when they close, they are SO LOUD! Couldn't signs be put on the doors to remind people to hold the door as it closes so as to minimize the loud noise? A few other things: there were crumbs on the outside of one of the beds, and they weren't put there by us. Bring your own pillows as theirs were puffy but squashed down to very flat. There was no bag for the ice bucket. There were no signs in the parking garage directing to the hotel lobby. Signs would have been helpful as we ended up on an outside street with the door locking behind us. The street wasn't on the side of the entrance to the hotel. Never-the-less, the hotel is in a great location...close to lots of things.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank kb6425

Dear kb6425,
Thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoyed our window seat and unsurpassed views of downtown Chicago. Allow us to apologize if the sirens caused any disturbance during your recent stay. Your comments about the crumbs and parking garage signs will be addressed with our Executive Committee, and we appreciate you bringing to our attention. We hope to serve you again soon.
Be Well,

Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

I love the doubletree very clean,quite,great location,the rooms are very clean,and nice size ,I love the service, what would put this hotel over the top is free parking the parking is expensive thirty something dollars a day.there is a lot of stores& great places too eat

• Stayed: January 2013
KokuaHospitality, Guest Services at Doubletree by Hilton Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

Dear Babyrog,
Thank you for your review. We are pleased to read that you enjoyed our clean accommodations, central location, and great service. It would be a pleasure to serve you again soon.