“Friendly, Comfortable Hotel in a Great Location”

Doubletree by Hilton Chicago Magnificent Mile
Ranked #109 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed January 19, 2012

I stayed overnight with my daughter on a trip through Chicago, but also lived in Chicago for a number of years so was familiar with the area.

First, the good: everyone at the hotel was very helpful and friendly, providing a warm welcome that is especially nice after a long flight. The cookies, handed to you warm, are a nice touch as well. We had several questions of the hotel staff during our stay, and all were answered quickly and accurately. The check-in and check-out were both smooth, as was the process for storing and retrieving our luggage after checking out.

We got a room on a high floor with a view north, which includes the Hancock building and the lake. The room itself was nicely appointed, with two comfortable beds and plenty of pillows and towels for the two of us. Everything was clean and well maintained, including the exercise room, which we also used. Even with all the ambient light put out by the city and the street noise outside, the room was both dark and quiet.

The location of the hotel is very convenient for visiting Chicago -- Michigan Avenue is close by for shopping, tons of restaurants are located close by, and Millennium Park is also just a short way down Michigan Avenue to the south. The Art Institute and the contemporary art museum are both close by (the latter is fairly close, the former a bit further away, past Millennium Park), and the nightlife available on Rush, as well as some of the fun places up in Old Town, are all a short cab ride away. Public transit is close by as well, with both buses and the subway easily reachable from the hotel.

Now, the bad, and this is a very short list: I would have liked free wireless in the rooms. Instead, you have to pay a fairly significant amount for this. Free wireless is available in the lobby, though, so it is available, just not as convenient as one would like.

Overall, my daughter and I had a wonderful stay at the hotel and would be happy to return.

Room Tip: Make sure to check for discounts -- we got a very good rate on the room, and paid only a few dollars...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Mark H
KokuaHospitality, Guest Services at Doubletree by Hilton Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2012

Dear ThatSemanticsGuy,
We hope you had a memorable Chicago visit with your daughter! Thank you for choosing to stay at The Doubletree by Hilton Chicago Magnificent Mile. We apologize if the in-room internet charge or having to go down to the lobby to utilize the complimentary internet was a slight inconvenience.

There are newer reviews for Doubletree by Hilton Chicago Magnificent Mile

Reviewed January 18, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel. We are in our early 20s. The rooms were very clean and well decorate with a modern flat screen tv. The bathroom was a decent size. The location was about 2 blocks from the Magnificent Mile and about 3 blocks from Navy Pier. There were always taxis near by although we walked most everywhere. I was especially surprised that the hotel shampoo and conditioner did not seem to dry out my hair. I did not like that the hotel did not offer any type of continental breakfast but I knew this in advance. There was no vending on the floor, only at the gift shop on the lobby level Also, I have sensitive skin and the bedding made me break out in hives so I was happy that I packed my Benadryl. It was a great weekend stay with a beautiful view.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank K_birke2002
DT-HCMM, Guest Service Admin. Asst. at Doubletree by Hilton Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2012

Dear K_birke2002, thank you for your comments regarding your most recent stay with us here at the hotel. We are delighted to hear of your satisfaction with your stay and our guest service. I am glad that you were able to enjoy the sites around the city and enjoyed the guest room and the amenities. I am sorry about the allergies acting up, that can put a damper on things but glad to hear that it did not cloud your trip. Thank you for choosing us and we hope that you will be back again for another great stay! Best regards, Rachel M.

Reviewed January 16, 2012

Just got back from a trip to Chicago with a friend. We stayed at the Double Tree because its updated, affordable and in a great location: 2 blocks from Michigan Avenue!
Making a phone reservation was a breeze. Check in was very friendly, Pablo was very helpful and the cookies they give you are always a plus. We were able to check in early, so that was great! After check out, they did store our baggage for us so we could spend more time walking around. Concierge was very quick and friendly.
The room was clean and modern. Everything was in nice shape. We had a great view from the 10th floor facing the front door side of the hotel. The beds have great pillows and comforters!!!
One negative thing would be the weird sensor bar they have for the snacks. Don't pick them up or I guess you get charged!
The walls are a little thin, so if you are a light sleeper you might want earplugs, especially if you are near the elevator. I think we just had a loud group next to us and that's why we woke up once. (The beds are very comfy, so we went right back to sleep!)

Room Tip: Just ask for a room farther from the elevator.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank travel12mb

Dear Meg W,
Thank you for your praise and rewarding feedback from your recent stay with us. We were truly delighted that our service, central location and comfortable bedding amenities exceeded your expectations. Yes, our mini bar and snack tray are sensory activated, so if a guest happens to pick up an item for a few seconds, they can erroneously be charged for something they didn't eat. If something like this occurs, we just ask the guest to be honest about the mistake at check-out. We hope to be of service to you again in the future.

Reviewed January 16, 2012

Make sure you bring ear plugs if you are a light sleeper. Otherwise, this is not a bad hotel. Location is great, room nice and clean, staff seems to be competent.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Calvin W
DT-HCMM, Guest Service Admin. Asst. at Doubletree by Hilton Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2012

Dear Calvin W.,
Thank you for your feedback about your stay, I sincerely apologize for the unit being loud during the night. Can you email me at rmilisavljevic@doubletreemagmile.com and tell me what guest room you were in so that I can have this unit inspected. Once again my sincere apologies and I thank you for taking the time to comment as this assist us with provide the best in guest service. I hope that you will visit us in the near future. Best regards!

Reviewed January 12, 2012

This hotel has done a reno in the past couple years that really makes the lobby attractive. The rooms are fairly modern as well. The location (2 blocks to Mag Mile) is ideal and the warm baked cookies are a great added touch. Staff was very friendly as well. Had breakfast in the hotel restaurant and it was pretty good as well although the $20 cost was a bit high.

Room Tip: High floor with a room facing the lake
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Tourguiderich
DT-HCMM, Rachel M. Guest Service Admin. Asst. at Doubletree by Hilton Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2012

Dear Tourguiderich, thank you for your feedback regarding your time spent at the DoubleTree by Hilton Mag Mile. We strive to make all our guests feel like they are at a home away from home and it sounds like we delivered.
Our breakfast buffet is comparable to may hotels with in the area and we have on a daily basis omelets made to order, fresh juices, fruits, cereals and all the breakfast regulars to enjoy.
Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again in the near future! Best Regards.

Reviewed January 11, 2012

Location: Plenty of nice restaurants in walking distance, easy access to downtown. I didn't have time, but nice shopping options in the vicinity.

The room: Nice and clean. Effective black-out curtains, comfy bed. I got a good rest before my long and busy days.

What's not so good?
Internet: The basic internet package is e-mails and essentials only, and you pay per device. Double the price for the full package.

Guests(?) I wasn't bothered too much, but the guests were younger on average, at least on my floor, which caused occasional bursts of noise in the hall each time they left their party to get ice for their drinks.

Room Tip: Business travellers may insist on a quiet floor. You may have moderate elevator wait on higher floor...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank K-MACH

Dear K-Mach, thank you for taking the time to provide your comments regarding your most recent stay here at the hotel. I noticed that some of the aspects of your stay did not meet your satisfaction; I apologize for any inconvenience you experienced.

Please note that should you encounter a noise disturbance in the future you can call down to the front desk and a member of the security department will be up to resolve any issues. We do have WiFi in the lobby level and lower level of the hotel, I am sorry if this information was not made available to you.

I sincerely hope that you will not be deterred from staying with us in the future and that we have heard your comments and can assure that you will notice an even higher lever of guest service should our travel plans bring you back to our area. Best regards and hope to see you soon!

Reviewed January 11, 2012

We stayed two nights at the Doubletree on our way to celebrating Christmas with family. The location is great. We could walk everywhere we wanted to go. Shopping on Michigan Avenue is fun especially just before Christmas. We traveled light because we went by train so we didn’t buy much but it was fun to look early in the morning before the shopping got crowded.

The hotel is lovely with a beautiful lobby. We paid extra for a lake view room. It was a partial view but very nice. We had a good size room and we liked the window seats. Loved the room but the mini-bar seemed passé. (There was a scary sign on it that said sensors controlled the snack and drink contents and we would be changed accordingly.)

When you need a break from shopping, stop at Water Tower Place for a quick snack at Wow Bao for the Chinese-style, meat-filled steamed buns. There are tables just up the escalator, one level above.

There are many restaurants. We tried a great tapas restaurant very near the hotel called Emilio’s Tapas Sol y Nieve. An extra plus is the very convenient, large Dominick’s grocery store just two blocks from the hotel.

Room Tip: If you can, pay a little extra for a lake view room.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank glofish5
KokuaHospitality, Guest Services at Doubletree by Hilton Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2012

Dear glofish5,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay with us. We were pleased that our central location, décor and accommodations all attributed to a memorable experience. Fellow readers will be grateful to hear your tips on where to shop and eat during their future trips to Chicago. We look forward to welcoming you back soon and in the interim, we remain at your service.