“Clean, Affordable, Friendly, Location!”

Doubletree by Hilton Chicago Magnificent Mile
Ranked #109 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed January 16, 2012

Just got back from a trip to Chicago with a friend. We stayed at the Double Tree because its updated, affordable and in a great location: 2 blocks from Michigan Avenue!
Making a phone reservation was a breeze. Check in was very friendly, Pablo was very helpful and the cookies they give you are always a plus. We were able to check in early, so that was great! After check out, they did store our baggage for us so we could spend more time walking around. Concierge was very quick and friendly.
The room was clean and modern. Everything was in nice shape. We had a great view from the 10th floor facing the front door side of the hotel. The beds have great pillows and comforters!!!
One negative thing would be the weird sensor bar they have for the snacks. Don't pick them up or I guess you get charged!
The walls are a little thin, so if you are a light sleeper you might want earplugs, especially if you are near the elevator. I think we just had a loud group next to us and that's why we woke up once. (The beds are very comfy, so we went right back to sleep!)

Room Tip: Just ask for a room farther from the elevator.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank travel12mb
KokuaHospitality, Guest Services at Doubletree by Hilton Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2012

Dear Meg W,
Thank you for your praise and rewarding feedback from your recent stay with us. We were truly delighted that our service, central location and comfortable bedding amenities exceeded your expectations. Yes, our mini bar and snack tray are sensory activated, so if a guest happens to pick up an item for a few seconds, they can erroneously be charged for something they didn't eat. If something like this occurs, we just ask the guest to be honest about the mistake at check-out. We hope to be of service to you again in the future.
Best,
Guest Services

Reviewed January 16, 2012

Make sure you bring ear plugs if you are a light sleeper. Otherwise, this is not a bad hotel. Location is great, room nice and clean, staff seems to be competent.

1  Thank Calvin W
DT-HCMM, Guest Service Admin. Asst. at Doubletree by Hilton Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2012

Dear Calvin W.,
Thank you for your feedback about your stay, I sincerely apologize for the unit being loud during the night. Can you email me at rmilisavljevic@doubletreemagmile.com and tell me what guest room you were in so that I can have this unit inspected. Once again my sincere apologies and I thank you for taking the time to comment as this assist us with provide the best in guest service. I hope that you will visit us in the near future. Best regards!

Reviewed January 12, 2012

This hotel has done a reno in the past couple years that really makes the lobby attractive. The rooms are fairly modern as well. The location (2 blocks to Mag Mile) is ideal and the warm baked cookies are a great added touch. Staff was very friendly as well. Had breakfast in the hotel restaurant and it was pretty good as well although the $20 cost was a bit high.

Room Tip: High floor with a room facing the lake
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Tourguiderich
DT-HCMM, Rachel M. Guest Service Admin. Asst. at Doubletree by Hilton Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2012

Dear Tourguiderich, thank you for your feedback regarding your time spent at the DoubleTree by Hilton Mag Mile. We strive to make all our guests feel like they are at a home away from home and it sounds like we delivered.
Our breakfast buffet is comparable to may hotels with in the area and we have on a daily basis omelets made to order, fresh juices, fruits, cereals and all the breakfast regulars to enjoy.
Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again in the near future! Best Regards.

Reviewed January 11, 2012

Location: Plenty of nice restaurants in walking distance, easy access to downtown. I didn't have time, but nice shopping options in the vicinity.

The room: Nice and clean. Effective black-out curtains, comfy bed. I got a good rest before my long and busy days.

What's not so good?
Internet: The basic internet package is e-mails and essentials only, and you pay per device. Double the price for the full package.

Guests(?) I wasn't bothered too much, but the guests were younger on average, at least on my floor, which caused occasional bursts of noise in the hall each time they left their party to get ice for their drinks.

Room Tip: Business travellers may insist on a quiet floor. You may have moderate elevator wait on higher floor...
1  Thank K-MACH

Dear K-Mach, thank you for taking the time to provide your comments regarding your most recent stay here at the hotel. I noticed that some of the aspects of your stay did not meet your satisfaction; I apologize for any inconvenience you experienced.

Please note that should you encounter a noise disturbance in the future you can call down to the front desk and a member of the security department will be up to resolve any issues. We do have WiFi in the lobby level and lower level of the hotel, I am sorry if this information was not made available to you.

I sincerely hope that you will not be deterred from staying with us in the future and that we have heard your comments and can assure that you will notice an even higher lever of guest service should our travel plans bring you back to our area. Best regards and hope to see you soon!

Reviewed January 11, 2012

We stayed two nights at the Doubletree on our way to celebrating Christmas with family. The location is great. We could walk everywhere we wanted to go. Shopping on Michigan Avenue is fun especially just before Christmas. We traveled light because we went by train so we didn’t buy much but it was fun to look early in the morning before the shopping got crowded.

The hotel is lovely with a beautiful lobby. We paid extra for a lake view room. It was a partial view but very nice. We had a good size room and we liked the window seats. Loved the room but the mini-bar seemed passé. (There was a scary sign on it that said sensors controlled the snack and drink contents and we would be changed accordingly.)

When you need a break from shopping, stop at Water Tower Place for a quick snack at Wow Bao for the Chinese-style, meat-filled steamed buns. There are tables just up the escalator, one level above.

There are many restaurants. We tried a great tapas restaurant very near the hotel called Emilio’s Tapas Sol y Nieve. An extra plus is the very convenient, large Dominick’s grocery store just two blocks from the hotel.

Room Tip: If you can, pay a little extra for a lake view room.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank glofish5
KokuaHospitality, Guest Services at Doubletree by Hilton Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2012

Dear glofish5,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay with us. We were pleased that our central location, décor and accommodations all attributed to a memorable experience. Fellow readers will be grateful to hear your tips on where to shop and eat during their future trips to Chicago. We look forward to welcoming you back soon and in the interim, we remain at your service.

Best,
Guest Services

Reviewed January 7, 2012

Spent 2 nights at the Doubletree for an annual conference for my company with about 100 other attendees. Rooms were nice, very comfortable bed and good pillow selection. Bathroom was a bit rough with old brackets still on the wall from something that was removed awhile ago and the ceiling looked a little yellow and was bubbling from moisture. I really can't complain as I got a steal for only $66 per night on the hotels website if I prepaid (which I did).

Customer service was spotty as me and several of my colleagues experienced conflicting information refarding everyhing from parking fees to late check out. The meeting facility was good and the in-house food was excellent. All in all a good stay in a great location.

Room Tip: Be wary of in room wi-fi fees and make sure to get the awesome hot chocolate chip cookies at check i...
1  Thank DSchrute
DT-HCMM, Guest Service Admin. Asst. at Doubletree by Hilton Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2012

Dear DShrute, thank you for taking time to comment on your stay with us here at the hotel. I understand the certain aspects of your stay were not satisfactory. I would like to sincerely apologize for the condition of the guest room; this is not the standard of our hotel and will address this with our housekeeping department promptly. I can assure you that the corrective actions have taken place. I have also made note with the staff in regards to the information being relayed to our guest that it will be accurate and up to date. I would like to thank you for bringing these matters to our attention and it is my hope that if your travel plans bring you back to our hotel that you will notice an even higher level of guest service for our staff. Best regards, Rachel M.

Reviewed January 5, 2012

My family and I stayed at the doubletree Jan 1-3 for a winter getaway/shopping spree. Overall I was pleasantly pleased with the double tree. On arrival, the doorman was very helpful directing us to the parking garage. Parking costs us 43 USD a day, which after doing some research was a little higher than nearby garages. However, the doubletree garage allows in and out privileges, so we paid a little extra for that. check in was easy. My only complaint about the check in process was that I had made two separate reservations for the same room (we added another day to extend our trip) in my first reservation I had requested a crib for our infant when making reservations online, but I never received one. Not a big deal really, but it was obvious to the staff that we had an infant at check in, you would think they would have offered anyway. I didn't really care that much after seeing our room- it is a decent size but I'm not sure there would have been space for a crib anyway. The cookies are delicious, but beware they are 310 calories a pop! We tried to use concierge on our last day. We called early morning around9 am three times and no one answered the phone. When we walked down on our way through the lobby no one was at the desk. The doorman said they would be in soon (late for work?) so, we left and came back about an hour later. When we came back concierge was available but he basically told us it was "too late" to make plans at that time. So, they were really unhelpful with that. I gave this hotel 3 stars because they do not have an indoor pool or hot tub, and the lobby is uninviting. It is very cold, next to the front doors and bar. Overall the room was inviting, great hotel beds, lots of pillows, clean. Not a bad deal for a two night stay.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank EandS2010
DT-HCMM, Guest Service at Doubletree by Hilton Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2012

Dear Kazal22, thank you for your descriptive and flattering comments about your recent visit to the DoubleTree by Hilton Mag Mile. We are elated to hear of the wonderful time you had during this past holiday season, the Mag Mile is great during this time. You should really come back to stay with us for the Blues fest this year, it is one of the many great venues in Chicago. I will share your comments with the staff regarding the great guest service they provided and I know that they will be equally pleased with your satisfaction. Thank you again for staying with us and I hope that this will not be the last time you visit us and we hope to see again you soon! Best regards.