“Disappointed”

Ranked #107 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
West Grove, Pennsylvania
“Disappointed”
Reviewed August 2, 2011

Although the location was convienient I encountered so many challenges staying here. The meeting rooms on the lower level were so cold, meeting attendees needed long sleeves, while the elevators and hotel corridors had no AC at all and the temps were very high. I had a room near the elevator and all night long one of the elevator's would "bing" at each floor stopped at, not just when it arrived at mine. The bar in the lobby wasn't open any of the evenings we were there, and the bar in the restaurant closed early, so many from our group ended up at a pub across the street. The printer in the business center wasn't working on day one of our meeting and the copier was broken on day two-unfortunately you had to call an 800 number for service since it seems to be contracted out to someone else. And, to add insult to injury, the boarding pass printer was down so you had to pay to use the printer in the business center to run boarding passes!
On the good side, the rooms were clean and functional and the bed was very comfortable. And, the location right between Michigan Ave and Navy pier was very convienient. However, there are other convenient hotels in the same area-next time I'll choose one of those.

1 Thank aaatravelgal25
KokuaHospitality, Guest Services at Doubletree by Hilton Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, August 5, 2011
Dear aaatravelgal25,
We sincerely apologize for the challenges you encountered during your stay with us. We would like you to know that we are reviewing the air conditioning issues you reported so that we can avoid such discomforts in the future. Also, we apologize if the elevators were a major disruption during your visit. Our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused by the printing and copy machine being out of service during your stay. Please accept our apologies for falling short of expectations.
Guest Services

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (373)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
K-W
Reviewed August 1, 2011

We really enjoyed our stay in this hotel and we couldn't have asked for a more perfect location for our stay in Chicago. The Magnificent Mile was just to the west, the Navy Pier to the east, Millennium Park to the south, and Northwestern University to the north -- all within walking distance of the hotel.

The hotel itself seems to have been recently renovated as we had a room that was all updated and had a flat-screen TV (saw reviews earlier from about 4 or 5 months ago that said there was a tube TV in their room). I just wish we had more than two nights in the hotel and more time to just relax and enjoy the room, but since we only had three days in Chicago, we wanted to grab as much of the downtown core as we could.

Service at the front desk was great and the staff was very friendly. We certainly would have no hesitation at all going back to the Doubletree again. However, there was one major incident that I think warrants mention - upon checking out, we were given the wrong bill/folio; we got somebody else's info including the person's home address, charge info, driver's license number, Hilton Honors, etc. I would be majorly ticked off if this had happened to me and my info was given to someone else (I sincerely hope this wasn't the case), and it caused problems when I wanted to present the bill to the border guards upon our re-entry back into Canada as proof of our stay in the U.S.

I understand that accidents do happen, but something like this needs to be monitored more carefully to ensure that private information isn't given out to the wrong people. The check-out clerk was very friendly and remembered us from when we checked in, but he relied on his memory to pull up our info -- and he misremembered (thanks Roger Clemens for the use of that word) our room number by being off by one digit. What made it worse for me was that I sent an email to the hotel themselves, got no answer at all from them, then I emailed the Doubletree head office, it took them one week to finally answer me and that was a "stock" answer form saying to expect three business days for resolution of this issue. I am still awaiting resolution from them on this issue as I type this.

All in all, I would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone else -- just be careful that the right information is being entered or given to you.

Tip: There's a major grocery store a block away called Dominick's -- it's great for picking up a dessert or snack to bring back to your room, or even to get a breakfast fruit platter with a dip. They have a wide assortment of beer/wine and there's a Starbucks inside as well. Great to stop in at any time you might need something for your room.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
DT-HCMM, Guest Service Admin. Asst. at Doubletree by Hilton Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, August 4, 2011
Dear PB630, thank you for your comments about your recent stay with us. I received the notice from corporate and responded to you via email, we have addressed this with the front desk staff. I can assure you that we will work on this to ensure it will not happen again. We appreciate that you informed us of this as it will help us to better serve our guests. I am happy that despite this your trip was a great one and we hope that if you should venture back to Chicago we will be your preferred hotel for your lodging needs.
Austin, Texas
Reviewed July 31, 2011

I continue to choose the Doubletree hotel as I travel to Chicago and have stayed here 3 times in the past year. The rooms are all very nice and the service is great.

The location is superior. It is very close to Lake Michigan (2-3 blocks) and Navy Pier (0.5 mi) which is ideal for commuting and exercising/relaxing on the beach. This location is also a short walk to Mag MIle and to restaurants and pubs in the area.

Beyond the location, the main reason I continue to stay here is the price -- I have paid around $150 whether booking weeks or a day in advance. The parking is $40/night, but overall can't complain for the value.

1 Thank ToddBu
Dear Bush7436,
First off, thank you for your continued loyalty to the Doubletree by Hilton Magnificent Mile. We are thrilled you find our location superior to Lake Michigan, Navy Pier and the Magnificent Mile. It is great to hear that you find us worth the value every time you visit. We look forward to welcoming you back for another wonderful stay.
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed July 30, 2011

I booked this hotel last minute with Hhonors points for 4 nights. We, family of 4, got 1 room with 2 queen beds in it. The beds were much to my liking, not to my wife though, as she prefers hard beds.
Room 1718 has place enough for 4, although I expected an LCD or plasma tv nowadays. This was still a tube television taking a lot of space. We were looking at the pool, which is on the fifth floor. You won't always have sun here because you get shadows from the skyscrapers surrounding the hotel.
The room was made up every day, but it was not cleaned thoroughly, which was shown by the stains on the windows that stayed there during our stay.
Bathroom looks ok, but a closer look at the ceiling showed that there was some leakage somewhere. See the pictures.
You get a free copy of USA Today. In-room internet is paying 9,95/day, or for free in the lobby.
At the ground floor there is a bagel shop, which we, as proper tourists, tried the first morning.
The location is good, not perfect though. For that it should be a bit closer to Grand metro station. Now it is still a 6 block walk away. On the other hand it is just 2 blocks from Michigan Ave (Magnificent Mile=shopping street), and the Navy Pier.

Room Tip: Don't book with Hhonors to get the best room
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
KokuaHospitality, Guest Services at Doubletree by Hilton Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, August 10, 2011
Dear simonsmidt,
Thank you kindly for your comments on your recent stay with us. We are in the process of changing out our old tube televisions and replacing them with plasma screen T.V's. We apologize if you felt your room was not adequately cleaned, but we will be sure to forward your comments onto our housekeeping director. Also, we will be sure to share your pictures regarding the leak you noticed in your bathroom with our maintenance team. Once again, our apologies if we did not... We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future and regaining your confidence.
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed July 28, 2011

What a fun, energetic hotel! Rooms were modern and clean! The pool was fabulous! And the staff was very friendly and helpful! The central location is great for visiting the pier or all of that magnificent shopping!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Michigan
Reviewed July 28, 2011

I was part of a girls-weekend in Chicago and we stayed at the Doubletree because its one of the only hotels with an outdoor pool. I was totally pleased with my stay, but we were not expecting the Ritz Carlton:

PROS:
- Good location: 2 blocks from Michigan Ave; 1 block from a full grocery store; close to running trail on Lakeshore; 5 blocks from subway/L stop (Grand/State Redline)
- Room on 24th floor was remodeled and modern -- large sink vanity and cubbies underneath for 4 girls' toiletry bags!
- Comfy beds
- Nice pool area though we didn't get IN the pool
- warm cookies at check-in
- free continental breakfast for Honor's Gold Members

CONS:
- Shower didn't drain well. BUT we also didn't call for maintenance, so we can't really compain, right?!
- Ice machine on our floor was out-of-order, so we had to trek up a floor

Room Tip: Request high floor
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
DT-HCMM, Guest Service Admin. Asst. at Doubletree by Hilton Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, July 29, 2011
Dear JJesqbpc4, thank you for taking time out to comment on your stay. I am glad that your girls get away was a relaxing and fun filled one. I do apologize for the ice machine and the tub not draining properly. One call to the front desk and it would have been taken care of for you. Thank you for staying with us and we hope that should your travel plans bring you back to the area we will be your preferred hotel for your lodging needs.
Wisconsin
Reviewed July 28, 2011

I've stayed in many hotels in Chicago, and this ranks among my faves. Excellent service, location and amenities. The rooms are very modern, nice sized, great bedding and impeccably clean, and bath amenities were upscale. The outdoor rooftop pool was an awesome reprieve from the city heat. Hotel is within walking distance to just about any mag mile/river north restaurants. I would definitely stay here again.

1 Thank wisgirl01
Dear Wisgirl01, thank you for stay with us and we are pleased to hear that you had a great stay with us. We appreciate the feedback as this helps us to maintain a level of service that our guest are accustomed to and expect. We hope that this visit with us will not be your last; we look forward to seeing you again.