“Very Accomodating and Friendly”

Doubletree by Hilton Chicago Magnificent Mile
Ranked #107 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
trinidad
“Very Accomodating and Friendly”
Reviewed March 17, 2011

This is my second stay at the Doubletree Chicago - Magnificent Mile. On this occasion we stayed for five days. I must stay the staff is extremely friendly and helpful. The doormen, (Vladimir, thank you for your suggestions) the front desk staff, (Cookie, always a smile, eager to answer any question) and especially the hotel shop staff. Can't remember everyone's name, but many helpful staff. Certain conceirge won't so friendly, but not all.
The location is great, walking distance or short cab ride to restaurants, navy pier, museums and shopping. Cookies are a plus too!!
The rooms were quite large, decorated tastefully and the beds were comfy. I also liked the window seat. Bathroom was also clean and updated.
I would return to Doubletree, but would also like to try other hotels in the area as well.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
DT-HCMM, Guest Service Admin. Asst. at Doubletree by Hilton Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, March 24, 2011
Dear TravelTrini, thank you for your feedback regarding your stay here at the Doubletree, I am happy to hear that the staff was accommodating as well as friendly. We do our very best to provide all our guest with outstanding service. We care conveniently located from Navy Pier and from the Mag Mile; I hope you got a chance to experience both! We hope that you will be back to stay with us again soon! Best regards!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed March 17, 2011

I accidentally reserved the Doubletree because I confused it with another hotel I'd stayed at in Chicago. I figured this out only the day before I left, and decided to try the Doubletree anyway. My main concern was that I found nothing on the Fitness Center- not even a picture on the hotel site. This is usually a very bad sign that the Fitness Center is a windowless room in the basement with 2 machines from the last century, one of which doesn't work. I needn't have worried- the Fitness Center is right off the lobby, filled with brand new Precor Equipment, and not overcrowded.

The hotel is convenient to major retail stores, many restaurants large and small, a grocery store, and the financial district. I particularly liked the takeout from Dao (Thai). My room was comfortable and quiet, with lovely crisp white bedding. The primary view was the parking garage across the street, but in the distance there was an interesting building and a sliver of Lake Michigan!

Wi-Fi was free for me as a HHonors Gold member. So was continental breakfast, although the selection was fairly limited- fruits, a few breads and bagels, yogurt and cottage cheese dry cereals but no oatmeal. The Wi-Fi was user-friendly and ran at a good speed- I was even able to download video podcasts to my iPod quickly using the free public Wi-Fi in the gym.

Staff was helpful and friendly- a bellhop saw me looking for a place to discard my empty coffee cup as I was walking through the lobby and told me he'd take care of it. A little thing, but I like it when someone notices I need something and responds.

One caveat: I didn't look at the phone charges posted by the phone and was charged $1.50 for a call to the Thai restaurant less than a block away. The charges were posted- I just didn't notice them. Use your cell phone.

I enjoyed my stay at the Doubletree and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
DT-HCMM, Guest Service Admin Asst. at Doubletree by Hilton Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, March 24, 2011
Dear Athena53, thank you for taking time to comment on your recent visit to the Doubletree we are so glad that you had what sounds like a wonderful time! I am glad that you liked that area and the hotel. We are located in a great part of the city. I hope that you will be back to have another great say with us in the future! Best Regards!
Modesto, California
Reviewed March 5, 2011

The motor entrance is dark and nondescript and not up to the standard of the rest of the hotel, but the ambiance improved significantly once inside the modern lobby which has a small bar area. The decor is contemporary and functional, but nothing out of the ordinary. The front desk staff was friendly, efficient and welcoming, and I was quickly in my 12th floor room with a complimentary chocolate chip cookie. I had an excellent, beautifully decorated and very comfortable room with a view of neighboring buildings. The heat had been set low and it took quite some time for the room to heat up to a comfortable temperature for me. There was a nice easy chair, desk, plenty of drawer space, TV, a coffee maker with coffee packets (decaf packets can be had at the front desk) and plenty of good lighting. The bed was very comfortable and there were many pillows of varying firmness. I stayed two nights and slept very well both nights. The bathroom was not large, but was attractive and functional. The drapes were broken and would not close completely, but were fixed very quickly after I complained. The concierge was mediocre. The first time I went to the concierge desk I was ignored for a protracted period while he worked on his computer. I found the front desk to be much more helpful. I booked on the Doubletree website and got an excellent senior rate. I like to walk and the hotel is near several points of interest, including Navy Pier and the Contemporary Art Museum, and shopping. I would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
DT-HCMM, Guest Service Admin Asst. at Doubletree by Hilton Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, March 7, 2011
Dear RDHOnTheGo, thank you for your feedback about your recent stay at the Doubletree Hotel Chicago. I am happy to hear that you had a wonderful time, sorry about the curtains but I am also glad that the maintenance staff was able to fix it for you with in minutes. Please make sure to visit us again should your travel plans bring you back to our area.
Minneapolis
Reviewed February 21, 2011

Place was fine for a quick stop. Hotel common areas are nice and inviting. Rooms were ok, nothing special. Good location. Staff was very accommodating. I wouldn't seek out the D-tree, but in a pinch it served it's purpose.

• Stayed February 2011
DT-HCMM, Guest Service Admin. Asst. at Doubletree by Hilton Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, March 15, 2011
Dear Standndlvr,
Thank you for taking time to comment on you recent stay at the Doubletree by Hilton Chicago Mag Mile. I hope that you had a nice time while visiting the city as well as the hotel. Please come back to stay with us should your travel plans bring you back to our area. Have a great day!
Glen Carbon
Reviewed February 15, 2011

I just stayed at the Double Tree (on Ohio Street) with my husband and our 24 year-old niece. We arrived 2 hours prior to check-in and we were pleased that they let us check in early. The front desk people very friendly. The room was clean and had all of the amenities we expected. We had lunch at Timothy O'Tooles right across the street and it was pretty good (Italian Beef/Fish and Chips). When we were discussing where we might eat a hotel employee happened to notice and he offered up several suggestions (was very nice--we opted for close because we were starving). After lunch we walked to Water Tower place and shopped along Michigan Ave, so the hotel location is convenient. We stopped at a nearby Dunkin Donuts for a liitle coffee and took a short Taxi ride to Park West for a concert. When we returned at midnight we realized we needed more pillows, called the front desk and had them within 15 minutes. We also requested help ordering a pizza and they suggested a place that was fantastic. We will definitely stay at this hotel again. Very pleasant, clean and a great price!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
DT-HCMM, Guest Service Admin. Asst. at Doubletree by Hilton Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, February 21, 2011
Dear CE_Illinois, thank you for taking time out to comment on your stay at the Doubletree Hotel Magnificent Mile. We are glad to hear that we made a great impression on you and your family. We strive every day to provide great customer service and attention to detail. We take the stress out of traveling so you don’t have to; it is our way of thanking our guest for staying with us! We look forward to your future return, thanks again for your feedback.
Ohio
Reviewed February 14, 2011

Came to Chicago for a gymnastics meet. So first of all I need to preface that I stayed at the Doubletree because our booster club negotiated an $88 per night rate and that included the use of the pool which is normally $15 per room. Overall, my experience was what I would expect for paying $88 per night.

Cons:

1. Rooms: I changed rooms three times which is not something I would normally do but the paint on the ceiling of the bathroom was peeling so badly that it was depressing. Also, there was rust on the tub (I don't live in mansion but when my bathroom at home is a LOT nicer than the hotel we have a problem) and the room furniture and walls were pretty beat up and no flat screen which seriously dates the hotel. We stayed on the 9th floor and it smelled like a mixture of cleaning products and smoke and carpeting was stained in hallways which overall doesn't make for a great atmosphere - but I guess what would you expect for $88. The paint on the ceilings in the bathrooms in the second and third rooms were a little bit better but overall rooms were really worn. I expected better from a Doubletree. I normally stay at Marriotts but have stayed in Doubletrees before where the rooms were a lot better. A taxi cab driver told us that the hotel used to be a Holiday Inn which would make sense, because the rooms and hallways reminded me of an old Holiday Inn which they tried to retrofit to a Doubletree. Linens were OK.

2. No free coffee in Lobby (you get it in the rooms but I am used to free coffee that is made in the lobby) and one of the electrical outfits in the main lobby looked like it had been melted and couldn't be used. Really only saw one useable electrical outlet in the lobby.

3. Pool was a hike to get to.

4. No free wifi - although I knew about this beforehand. Also, it looked like I would have been charged to use the business center and I can't tell you the last time I have stayed at a hotel that charged for internet usage or charged for business center services.

Pros:

1. If you have a group that is cost conscious and needs a block of rooms for an event it looks like you can get a decent deal.

2. I will say that overwhelmingly the staff was VERY nice. The only bad experience was that the front desk person told me that I had to bring my own towels to the pool when in fact they have pool towels behind the desk.

3. Good location.

4. Eistein Bros. restaurant in building.

Not sure that I would stay at this hotel again. I am really interested in having a decent hotel room when I go somewhere and the room was barely average, plus the hallways had that odd smell that you can never get rid of. I guess I can recommend it if you can get a great deal and you don't care about a really nice room.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Dear CathyOhio, thank you for taking time to comment on your recent stay with us while in Chicago. I am sorry that your room was less than perfect and I have looked in to the matter of the guest room and hallway. Your feedback helps us in ensuring a great stay to all our guests. Thank you again for the information and we hope that you will be back in the near future should your travel plans bring you back to the Chicago land area.
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed February 8, 2011

We found a great rate for a quick weekend trip to Chicago. We decided to drive to make it even more economical. Driving helped the bottom line until we were hit with the $41/ night parking fee. I realize that parking downtown is at a premium, but $82 for the weekend is steep. Plus, the in-out system the Doubletree has in place at the lot is clumsy. You have to show a carbon-copy of your parking payment to the attendant every time you leave so they don't charge you again. But we were happy with everything else.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
DoubletreeMM, Guest Services at Doubletree by Hilton Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, February 17, 2011
Dear local40oz,
Thank you for sharing your feedback. As to your comment on parking rates, we are competatively priced for an urban area and one of the benifits as a guest is the in and out priviledge. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to serving you again in the near future.
Best,