“Hilton Suites Magnificent Mile - Chicago”

Hilton Chicago/Magnificent Mile Suites
Ranked #68 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
“Hilton Suites Magnificent Mile - Chicago”
Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

This is an average hotel with fairly high room rates. The staff is very friendly, and Gloria, the morning room service attendant, is a particularly great example of how just one person can make a visit even better. Gloria is the best thing going at this Hilton! The food is only average, and there is no food or beverage on-site, a fact I would have liked to know before staying there. The restaurant is under construction but that isn't disclosed on the website that I saw. The room rate of high $200 - low $300 is too expensive for what's provided. Being a Gold Hilton Honors member, I've had much nicer accommodations for far less money.

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank edwardaberg
PatrickFilatre, General Manager at Hilton Chicago/Magnificent Mile Suites, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear edwardaberg,

Thank you very much for staying with us. We appreciate you taking the time to tell about your experience. I apologize for the restaurant being close due to renovation and I am pleased to confirm that the restaurant will open this Friday November 30th. Thank you for takling the time to recognize Gloria who works in our room service department as well as the friendliness of our staff. As it is with many hotel, our rates change almost daily, you came during a very busy time in Chicago but I assure you that our rate are competitive with the market and because we offer Suites our guests actually get more than with regular hotel.

I hope that you will give us another chance and I invite you to contact me directly the next time you are planning to stay in Chicago.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
  • Greek first
Midwest
Reviewed November 15, 2012

As every other reviewer has pointed out, this hotel is in a prime location in the Gold Coast. You can walk to Michigan Ave plus the surrounding area and find a wide variety of shopping and restaurants.
Speaking of restaurants, the Hilton restaurant is closed for remodeling. They claim the new restaurant will open sometime in later November. You may wish to check with the hotel on that status if this is important to you. Since the restaurant was closed, so was the bar in the hotel. Next door is a Sushi place (looked and smelled great) the lobby has a coffee shop that is still open. There is also a temp breakfast location on second floor but I did not visit it.
I've stayed here many times in the past. This hotel can sometimes be a better value than similar hotels in the area. However there are some issues I noticed this time around. I stayed on floor 16 and could not get a stable wireless network connection. After paying 12.95 for wireless I called down to the desk and they said "we'll look into that for you" The charge did not show up on my bill.
Secondly the standard room I was in was looking rather worn. Definitely a 3 star accommodation.
The thermostat is not accurate, even setting the room temp to 72 degrees I was very cold.
I seem to remember larger and cleaner rooms on my last few stays back in 2010.
So over all this is an acceptable hotel (except for the non existent wireless connectivity on higher floor) but would not wish to stay for an extended period. I will mention that I would prefer the Hilton Suites to the Millennium Knickerbocker around the corner if that helps you.

Room Tip: Higher floors are less noisy from street sirens, however you may not have adequate wireless connecti...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank imreading
Dear imreading,

Thank you very much for staying with us. I am glad that you enjoyed our location and that you were able to appreciate the proximity to almost everything Chiocago has to offer. I apologize for the restaurnt being closed due to remodeling and I am pleased to confirm that the new restaurant will open on Friday November 30th.

From your feedback, I realize that a few things were not up to your expectations and to our own level of service. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly the next time you come to Chicago and I will make sure that you are assigned a room with a beautifull view. I have checked on the internet connectivty and it all appear to be working properly. Earlier this year we have upgraded our entire high speed internet to the "Stay Connected" system from AT&T. I suspect that it was a temporary issue and I apologize for the inconvenience.

We look forward to welcoming you again.
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I stayed here for one night while in Chicago, and wish I had booked this room for the rest of the week. The staff here were very friendly. The location is just as great. I walked to my colleagues hotel on Magnificent Mile, as well as dinner around their hotel, and back. I was really happy with the room I was put in. Lots of walking space and a nice desk space to spread my work out. The bathroom, living area, and bedroom were very clean. I loved the vanity area that adjoined the bathroom and bedroom. Nice layout of the room! I did not use the microwave, fridge or sink since I was only there for one night, but will try them next time =) I frequent Chicago about 3-4 times for business, and will def make this one of my go-to hotels. The location is quiet, tucked away behind Magnificent Mile, and gives you all the comforts of home.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank dyanna26
Dear dyanna 26,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us and with others who may be planning a visit to Chicago. I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found the location in the Gold Coast to be convenient for all you needed to do in Chicago. I am also very pleased to read that you enjoyed the friendliness of our staff.

We look forward to your next visit and we hope to be your hotel of choice.
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed November 6, 2012

This hotel is near everything you want to be close to in Chicago. The room we had was very nicely appointed and had a great art deco feel. Service in general was good. Unfortunately, the main restaurant was closed for renovation. However, there are plenty of good restaurants in walking distance.
Very quiet except for one morning when a truck showed up that was servicing the hotel in some way and made an extraordinary amount of noise at 5:30-6 AM for about 30 minutes. Not sure what that was about......
However, I would still recommend this hotel if you want an excellent Mag Mile location and a spacious room.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank LosFelizCA
Dear LosFelizCA,

Thank you very much for staying with us at the Hilton Suites Chicago. We appreciate you selecting our hotel and we thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you enjoyed the location. I apologize for the restaurant being close due to renovation and I am please to confirm that the new restaurant will open on November 30th.

We look forward to your nest visit to Chicago and we hope to your hotel of choice again.
Baltimore
Reviewed November 5, 2012

stayed at this hotel and was very happy with service and overall condition of the hotel. very nice and the location is excellent. had a suite overlooking Lake Michigan close to everything downtown. has a very nice Sushi resturant located on the main level. nice spa and pool as well. I would return in a heartbeat

Room Tip: get a room over looking lake Michigan, nice view
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank crt1966
Dear crt1966,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed our hotel and its location. Being located in the Gold Coast, near the John Hancock Tower, steps away from Lake Michigan and a block away from the shopping on the Magnificent Mile makes our hotel the perfect place to stay for anyone who wants to enjoy Chicago. in addition, i should also mention that we are just a walk away from Oak Stret and Rush Street where it is easy to find restaurants with various cuisine style.

We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you come to our beautiful city.
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Nice hotel--great location! Loved that we were within walking distance of everything, yet it was very quiet. Just one block off Michigan Avenue, right behind the John Hancock building. We were on the 25th floor overlooking Oak Street beach, but we couldn't enjoy it because they block the window with the desk. I would rearrange the furniture a bit to take advantage of the great views. The room was adequate, small living area with a separate bedroom. Liked that there were two entrances to the bathroom. Good breakfast in the morning. The only thing lacking is a place in the lobby to maybe sit and have a glass of wine before going out for the evening. There is a small Starbucks, but would have liked a small bar-type area also. All in all, we would definitely return to this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
PatrickFilatre, General Manager at Hilton Chicago/Magnificent Mile Suites, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear 822Traveler,

Thank you very much for staying with us at the Hilton Chicago/Magificent Mile Suites. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us and other travelers who are planning a visit to Chicago.

We look forward to welcoming you again the next time that you come to Chicago.
Orlando, FL
Reviewed October 19, 2012 via mobile

Spent one night at this hotel this week and quite liked it. The rooms were well appointed and very comfortable...yet my AC in room would not turn off to save my life even when turned up to 85 it was blowing cold hurricane force winds. Nonetheless the bed was nice and the water pressure in the shower may actually take the prize for the best I have encountered. I would definitely recommend the hotel but at the airport I met someone that was mugged at the corner of the hotel the night prior and shared that he found out someone was shot less than a block away the previous night. Please be careful in any city and just take wise precautions. I say that because there were postings where in lieu of the $55 valet people were parking a few blocks away and walking to save a few dollars. I was inclined to do this as well but thankful I did not

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
PatrickFilatre, General Manager at Hilton Chicago/Magnificent Mile Suites, responded to this review, November 3, 2012
Dear Paul B

Thank you very much for staying with us at the Hilton Suites Chicago and please accept my apology for the problem you experienced with the heat system. We unfortunately experienced a problem with our system and it has been fixed. I also understand your concerns about safety and I would like to re-assure you and other travellers coming to Chicago that the area where the hotel is located is one of the safest in Chicago. We are located in the Gold Coast, next to the John Hancock Tower and luxury shopping. The City of Chicago has done an excellent job at monitoring a few people who have created problems and bad press in the past. As someone who work downtown Chicago every day, I want to assure you that it is very safe and as safe as any other big cities.

I look forward to welcoming you back to our beautiful city and to our hotel.