“Hotel has the basics down and the location's good”

Courtyard Chicago Downtown/River North
Ranked #93 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed April 12, 2014

Hotel and Staff
If you’ve stayed at a Courtyard by Marriott, I don’t have to describe the interior, they are all the same. The staff doing check-in was nice and helpful. When I went to my room and saw that it was just off the elevator and by a noisy ice machine, I called to request a new room. They immediately sent someone up to give me a key to a new room, instead of me having to go back down to the lobby for the key.

Dining and Staff
The restaurant connected to the hotel, Davanti Enoteca, had some interesting, good cocktails and the bartender was quick so there was little wait time even at peak hours. We had light breakfast and lunch there and service and food were fine. We also had a business meeting in the lower level of the hotel. As my colleague and were preparing for it, we wanted to have something to eat before the other attendees arrived. Leslie from the events staff brought us menus, ordered for us and had it delivered right to our meeting room!

The popular/trendy Glazed and Confused donut shop is right by the hotel through the restaurant. I had a latte that was good, but my colleagues didn’t like the coffee. We got half-dozen donuts to try and the only one I really care for was the crème Brule. They were all very sweet!

Location
Close enough to some shopping and good restaurants. We ate nearby at Shaw’s and Seasons 52. The hotel staff was also helpful in getting cabs.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Beth M, Manager at Courtyard Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed review. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit with us and were able to enjoy some Davanti cocktails. I hope that we will be your number one choice to host your next meeting.

Reviewed April 7, 2014

Was very impressed by this hotel. Room was clean and inviting and had an "ok" view of the city in room 1417. We did not use the valet services as we did not want to pay their high charge since we planned on walking the city. However, the individuals and staff were so nice and helpful especially with directions and recommendations. They provided plates and silverware when I realized I had forgotten to bring that stuff for the birthday cake I bought. No issues with check in and check out, and again the staff was outstanding.

The location is perfect and close to everything. Again, we walked everywhere and only took the "red line" once which was down the Aquarium (Roosevelt stop).

If you do not want to park at the hotel, I parked at the parking garage connected to Bed Bath and Beyond on State and Ohio Streets. I used Spothero, which I REALLY recommend. I paid $78 for three days of parking which was a steal. It was super easy and only a block from the hotel. There were NOT in and out privledges which I did not mind since I knew we would only be walking around the city anyways.

Again, recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Hayley59

Thank you for the "Excellent" rating as well as the wonderful comments about the staff and location. I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. I look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Chicago.

Reviewed April 5, 2014

Perfectly located, had everything i wanted. There might be more luxurious places, but this one was just perfect for me. The concierges at the entrance were exceptional and going out of their way to make sure everyone was feeling goid.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

I am so glad that The Courtyard Chicago Downtown River North was the "perfect hotel for you."

Thank you for taking the time to write the "Excellent" review, and I look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Chicago.

Reviewed April 2, 2014

Flew in for the hockey game and was greeted warmly by valet and those working at the front desk. The entire time they made us feel very welcome, despite the fact that we were cheering for the other time. Friendly banter was a regular part of the trip. Great location to the train, as well as site seeing and shops. Bed was very comfortable. Being that it is downtown it was a little bit noisey at night, but that is to be expected with a city location. it was nothing that kept us up. Fitness center was great as was the pool and hot tub.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking to time to share your experience and give The Courtyard Chicago Downtown River North an "Excellent Rating". I am glad that you were able to engage in some friendly hockey banter...... Hawks fans take their hockey pretty serious! Hopefully you can make this trip an annual event.

Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel from March 28 to march 30 2014...we booked the nights online believing we had prepaid the weekend...well Marriott never charged the card and we ask for manager to get a better understanding....well John was less than polite. ...never apologized for the confusion and basically told us we didnt have to stay there. WOW..how about an apology...help us understand the mix up....he should work midnights not peak hours...the guys in valet/ bell hop were awesome...they can teach John a lesson. .

• Stayed: March 2014
Frankie S, Senior Executive Assistant at Courtyard Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2014

JacMar10,

Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know how we are doing. We are so sorry to hear your check-in experience was frustrating, and we sincerely apologize for the confusion. We have shared your notes with our team and managers, and have definitely learned from it.

Here at the Courtyard River North, we really pride ourselves on our guest service skills, and it seems we didn't live up to your, our our, expectations this time. I am very sorry.

We would love to see you again, and show you what our standout service and guest interaction really looks like. We very much hope to see you soon.

All our best,

Frankie Solomon
Courtyard Chicago Downtown/River North
Senior Executive Assistant

Reviewed March 30, 2014

My best friend and I met in Chicago for a "girls weekend". This hotel was recommende by a friend who stayed 1 month prior. Form the moment we walked in Adrion made us feel like we were the only guest that mattered. Michelle was helpful and informative and got us tour bus tickets. Igor was always there with a friendly smile and helpful directions. Ronnie and Peter were also excellent. This was a great centralized location but the staff made it an awesome stay!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you so much for your "Excellent Rating" for your recent visit to The Courtyard Chicago Downtown River North. Thank you also for the personalized recognition for several of our team members. Adrion, Michelle, Igor, Peter and Ronnie are all true service professionals and ambassadors of the city. I am glad they were able to make your first trip to Chicago a fun and memorable one. I hope that we will be your hotel of choice for your 2nd trip to Chicago.

Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

It's a decent hotel, especially for our "deal" of a rate, but a few things could use work. The room temp alternated between unbearably hot and freezing until I put the wireless thermostat beside the unit--then it worked great.

We were able to get a 2-bed room at check-in and the room was a nice size, but one person was stuck sleeping on the floor as The hotel doesn't offer rollway beds. The beds in the room were painfully hard (personal preference), the bedding is the same weird uncontrollable fluff offered by most hotels, and the pillows were sadly floppy. I wasn't bothered by the noise from the street or inside the hotel, which is important to me and is amazing in a city hotel.

Front desk staff and door staff were helpful and friendly. The maid unfortunately came after 4:00 both days when we were just done sightseeing and getting ready to go out again.

The decor is hard-core hotel beige, ever-so-slightly scruffy. The view wasn't great from our 9th floor room, but you could tell you were in Chicago.

I really liked the beautiful blue pool and large hot tub. Nothing amazing, but very welcome on cold slushy day. Of course, we loved the free wifi.

We tried the hotel restaurant, Davanti, not knowing the posted menu was á la carte and served in small courses like a traditional Italian meal, which could have been too pricey. We tiptoed around the menu and ordered pizza and a hamburger which were excellent, and they were good enough that we were more amused than annoyed by my daughter's $15 ravioli order with ONE piece of ravioli. Davanti also suffered from pretentiousness which detracted from its attempts at authenticity. It was still refreshing to find quality cooking at a hotel restaurant.

• Stayed: March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at The Courtyard Chicago Downtown River North. I am glad we were able to meet your needs with friendly service, free WiFi, and a warm swimmming pool. Next time you visit, I would recommend booking a Double Suite. This option would give your party two double beds, as well as a pull out sofa. Hopefully that would be more comfortable. Thank you again for staying with us.