Courtyard Chicago Downtown/River North
Kinzie Hotel(Chicago)
  • Room Service
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Restaurant
All reviewsdonut shopmarriott courtyardaverage courtyardgreat locationdonutsriver northwithin walking distancethe magnificent milestate streetstreet noisehot tubfire stationnavy pierchicago downtownfront desk stafffew blockswould stay here again
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 12, 2014

Although this hotel is not right smack in the busy downtown core of Chicago, it is situated in a charming and quieter neighborhood with a fast and easy access to all the major sights in the city. The subway station is a short walk from the hotel, and the area is filled with countless restaurants of various cuisines and budgets. For cheap eats, there's a Subway deli around the corner, but if you are craving for some delicious Grade A seafood, Shaw's Crab House is right across the hotel. You will never go hungry if you stay in this hotel.

The lobby is small but elegantly furnished. The room is clean and the bed very nice and comfy. The ladies at the reception counter are warm and friendly, joking with us and answering all our questions with a smile. Breakfast is provided at the lobby during weekdays, with Starbucks coffee. The breakfast consisted mainly of pastries, gigantic doughnuts, cereal, and fruit, with no hot items.

Wifi is free in the room, which is great.

We will definitely stay here again when we return to Chicago.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Frankie S, Senior Executive Assistant at Courtyard Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2014

Hello there!

Thank you so much for leaving your kind and descriptive review! We're glad you enjoyed the hotel and our vibrant downtown neighborhood of River North.

A little bit has changed since your visit in June, so I wanted to clarify for future readers. This past summer we underwent a renovation of our restaurant. During this down time, we did offer some tasty pastries and continental items in lobby as an apology for the inconvenience of not having a dining option open.

Since that time, we have opened 'Davanti Enoteca,' a full-service Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, and Late-Night restaurant that specializes in authentic, rustic Italian food. They have great drinks and cocktails, and a friendly, share-able menu.

We've also added a Chicago local favorite, 'Glazed and Infused,' as our coffee house and gourmet doughnut hotspot.

At this time, we no longer offer complimentary continental breakfast in the lobby. but I can assure you that you and your traveling companions will LOVE our full-service offerings.

Cutie888, we hope to see you again soon!

Best wishes,

Reviewed February 11, 2014

A friend and I went in to Chicago for the auto show and dinner at Shaw's. We stayed at this Courtyard as it is immediately across the street from Shaw's. Both were great choices. This Courtyard was very well run, had a very professional and friendly staff, and the rooms were very clean and comfortable. I could find no fault with the hotel and will definitely stay here again.

Stayed: February 2014

Hello!

Thank you for your review. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay! The Auto Show is always a blast, and Shaw's is delicious.

We hope to see you next time you are in town- whether that's for Shaw's, the Auto Show, or something else!

Best regards,

Reviewed February 11, 2014

First, the basics:

- The hotel was up-to-date and in good repair
- The room I was in was up to Courtyard standards and very comfortable
- It's in a prime location for a Chicago visit, within walking distance to the State Street and Michigan Ave shops as well as the L and bus lines
- The pool is small but fine for lap swimmers or kids
- There's an attached restaurant that's pretty good, I can vouch for the burger as being very good
- It's everything you'd expect in a Courtyard in a great location.

Now the story:

This was a non-business trip for me, and so had the family with me. From the outset, the staff at the front desk was more outgoing, friendly, and genuine than any other staff I can remember. They actively enhanced the experience. Notably, this wasn't just one or two outstanding staff, it was every single member of the team at the hotel. Someone is leading and training them right.

As it turned out, we scheduled our vacation during a huge snowstorm, which limited our options for fun and in the end, caused us to be unable to fly out until two days after we were scheduled to leave. We had checked out, gone all the way to the airport, turned around and came back to the hotel in the hopes that we could get another room. Not only did they accommodate us, but they put us in the exact same room, which was a really nice touch. It added some consistency to a pretty chaotic trip, which was particularly valuable for the kids. They made us feel welcome, valued, and that we'd be taken care of no matter what was happening outside.

A truly exceptional staff here. I'll be going out of my way to stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family

Hello PromoRoadGuy,

We are all honestly touched by your kind review. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and I am thrilled that we were able to help your family feel at home.

Next time you visit Chicago, hopefully the weather will cooperate! I sincerely hope that you and the family still enjoyed this remarkable city, snow aside.

Thank you for choosing the Courtyard River North!

Reviewed February 9, 2014

I have really enjoyed this place! The staff is friendly and made me feel at home. Upon entering the hotel the lobby was decorated well and felt clean. The room is spacious and comfortable, great views. I find the Marriott bed pillows to be small and rather uncomfortable so I was pleasantly surprised to find large, "normal" size pillows on my bed.

My co-worker and I wanted to grad dinner and the front desk agent was knowledgeable on restaurants in the area, and even supplied us with a map of restaurants within walking distance and list of restaurants by food type.

I had lunch at the hotel restaurant. Gone are the days of mediocre food. Davanti Enoteca was outstanding!! The service was impeccable. I highly recommend the shoestring fries. (I am fry snob, lol)

After a long day of travel I asked for table bread to curb my appetite while I waited for my burger. I was served this spectacular display of toasted ciabatta with a hollandaise dipping sauce. All I can say is delectable.

To summarize:

Guest Service: Amazing
Cleanliness of hotel and hotel room: Good
Location: Close to some good restaurants and not too far from great shopping on the Magnificent Mile.

Room Tip: Parking is $57
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Hi Jeremy,

Thank you for your review! I am so happy you had a blast while staying here. We hope to see you again next time you're in Chicago!

Reviewed February 2, 2014

Now I travel to Chicago every year. I've stayed at this location last year and for the past few years, I've booked with Marriott instead of other hotels. Their standards for hospitality and professionalism is above and beyond. I've stayed at the Renaissance on West Wacker 2 years ago, but this takes the cake. Upon arrival and departure a staff would open my door and greet me with a warm smile, while they prepare to take my bags inside. Check in was pleasant but I was more eager to get upstairs and lay down after a long flight. Everytime I pass by the lobby the front desk agents never failed to ask me if I need anything and would engage in meaningful conversations even if I'm just downstairs to stroll around for a bit. The King bedroom is a good size, and depending on which side of the hotel you get you still get to peek out to see parts of Chicago that would leave you thinking how great it is to be here. It's really a great city to visit and this hotel is a great place to stay at. Portillo's is also walking distance from this hotel and that is a must-have while you're in Chicago!! Looking forward to visiting again this April. See you guys soon!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Frankie S, Senior Executive Assistant at Courtyard Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2014

Hello Hoa!

Thank you so much for leaving your review! We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us. Service is very important to us here at the Courtyard River North, and our staff takes it very seriously. Our average associate tenure is 16 years-- as you can tell, our team members truly love what they do. We really enjoy getting to know our guests and helping them create a wonderful lasting memory of their visit. I'm glad you got to experience this. Thank you for choosing us!

We hope we see you next time!

Senior Executive Assistant

PS- Portillo's is awesome!