“Super Location! Good value for your $”

Courtyard Chicago Downtown/River North
Ranked #86 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Stroudsburg, PA
“Super Location! Good value for your $”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2014

My daughter and I stayed here on our travel west. We were pleased with the location near many restaurants and shopping. Our clean room had 2 Queen size beds and had a refrigerator which was convenient for storing our leftovers. We didn't have much of a view even though we were on the 16th floor. It did not bother us though. The staff was polite. One area for improvement is the internet. Our connection was poor. I ended up using my cell phone to access the internet.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Frankie S, Senior Executive Assistant at Courtyard Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Hello CherryAmes2002,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review! We are glad you enjoyed your accommodations! I am sorry to hear that your connection to the internet was not satisfactory. I apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced. We recently upgraded our internet and Wi-Fi options to improve reception and service for our guests, and continue to monitor and improve the service. If you are willing, I'd love to hear more about your stay so that may improve your future visits! Please, if you have a moment, reach out to me directly.

Again, thank you for your time!

frankie.solomon@marriott.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
  • Indonesian first
Lexington, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

My husband and I were in Chicago to attend a wedding, and this hotel was the perfect location for dining out and sightseeing. Had a great room on the 15th floor with a wonderful view. The staff was very friendly and helpful, especially the maintenance man who fished out my earring when I accidentally dropped it down the drain!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Frankie S, Senior Executive Assistant at Courtyard Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Hi Sharon!

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review! We're so pleased that your stay went well, and we're especially happy that you got your earring back!

We hope to see you next time!

Thank you for choosing Courtyard Chicago Downtown/River North!

Rustington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014

Fantastic location for a quick touristy outing in Chicago. Very close to the Magnificent Mile with its fantastic shopping but also close to a number of 'normal' shopping outlets. The food in the restaurant was superb and I would definitely recommend the value-busting set menu. My only problem was my personal issue of electronic key phobia - which meant that to get some fresh air, I was travelling up and down the elevators at 4am trying to get to the ground floor. It turned out that I was using the key card upside down but as there was no actual warning that I was doing this wrong, I didn't manage to get to the ground floor until some other early morning people chose to get in the same elevator. Highly recommended - but make sure you know which way round your key is!

Room Tip: Naturally, a better view is available from the higher floors.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Hello Htur61!

We are so glad you enjoyed your Chicago visit! We hope to see you again soon. Thanks for your review!

Schaumburg, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

The hotel was spotless and the front office staff were great. They were wearing Bears jerseys, which I loved!! It was a game day after all. Nothing can compete with this location. It is quick ride to anywhere and the bars & restaurants are all great. Go to Andy's Lounge across the street, you won't be disappointed in that choice or this hotel.

Room Tip: Try to get a view out of the front of the hotel, you will look at the Trump Tower, Marina Towers, et...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Frankie S, Senior Executive Assistant at Courtyard Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Well hello there, Davey!

Thank you for the Five-Star review! I'm so glad you came to stay with us, and that you enjoyed the hotel's amenities and downtown location. Andy's Jazz is definitely a classic Chicago hot-spot. We're glad you had fun!

One thing that I love about our hotel is the level of service mixed with that "human element." We wear Bears jerseys on game days, we give local, homegrown recommendations, and we connect with our guests in a really special way. We feel that's what makes a hotel stay great!

Thanks again for choosing us, and we wish you a Happy New Year!

All my best,

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a girls night out on New Year's Eve. Got a double room on the 15th floor. Lovely hotel, nothing particularly special about it, though. Amazing service from personable staff. I would definitely recommend it for a clean, no-fuss stay.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Frankie S, Senior Executive Assistant at Courtyard Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Hi there!

Thank you very much for leaving your review. We are glad you had an easy stay! Sometimes travel can be exhausting and complicated- we strive to make things stress-free and relaxing for our guests!

We'd love to see you at the hotel again. Next time you come to visit, let us know what can make your stay truly special. We'd love to "wow" you!

All my best,

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013

We stayed here for a wedding we were attending at Trump Tower, which is just around the corner. We are local to Chicago so my review may be slightly different than those who travel here for vacation/business.

Parking/valet: The cost is $57/day WITH in-and-out privileges. So if you plan to go about the city via your own car and expect to go in and out of the garage more than once a day, its probably worth it. However, if you plan to go about the city by cab/walking, this price is a total rip off and you need to check out other local garages using spothero.com, I've used it several times here in the city and you get parking for a fraction of the price.

Overall its a nice hotel, the lobby is very small and there are only 4 elevators, but we didn't seem to have to wait too long when going about out business. We had a king bed and the room had a sofa sleeper couch. I wouldn't recommend more than 3 people to a room. I also recommend a higher floor number if you can, otherwise you'll probably get a view of the cooling tower/maintenance areas. We had lots of pillows and were overall very comfortable, and I liked having our thermostat in our room. The only thing I didn't like is that the hotel charges you a hold fee on your credit card. We didn't know this prior, and they did this at check in. We weren't happy about that and the front desk staff has a lot to be desired in customer service and friendliness. But then again, so do a lot of Chicago hospitality businesses.

Location: There are a LOT of great bar/restaurants in the area such as HUB 51, Frontera Grill, and Rockit Bar & Grill, to name a few. It is very centrally located in regards to the shopping on Michigan Avenue and restaurant scene. River North in general is a very safe area for tourists, so you should have no fears. There is also a 7-11 and Glazed & Infused Donut shop at your fingertips with this hotel.

We'd stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank akm107
Hello akm107!

We loved having your wedding group at the hotel! It was a lot of fun. You are indeed a Chicago-insider, and we appreciate the tips and tricks that you've listed here.

As for parking, we agree that it's definitely a value if you plan to take the car in and out during your stay or if you're looking for convenience. Parking can be limited in the downtown Chicago area, and our valet pricing is consistent with the other hotels in the area. If you plan to leave your car for the week, however, there may be an option that is a better fit for you! Ask us for suggestions anytime.

Akm107, I sincerely apologize that you did not experience the true level of service we are known for from our front desk team. I am also sorry that the room fee/incidental hold was not properly explained to you. At many hotels, including ours, the systems automatically authorize the method of payment at check in. The hold typically falls off in 2-10 business days, depending on your bank. This can be an inconvenience, and I am sorry it was not addressed. This will certainly be a training opportunity for our team.

Overall, however, I was very happy to hear that you enjoyed the accommodations and our stellar location! Being in the Heart of River North really makes it easy to find amazing food, drink, and activities during a downtown stay.

We hope to see you again! If you have any additional comments, it'd be wonderful to hear them. Feel free to reach out to me directly!

(312) 329-2500
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2013

This hotel exceeded expectations. It was quiet (barring the occasional emergency vehicle), clean, comfortable, and very well located. Within 8 blocks walking distance you have shopping, Cloud Gate, many excellent restaurants, theater row, Millennium Park, ice skating, Art Institute, etc. the price at $150 per night mid December was extremely reasonable. There was a really neat bar / restaurant adjacent to the lobby. I also liked the layout of the room as the bed faced the window and you do not share wall space with the bed the in next room. Nice downtown views from all rooms. The staff was really friendly and helpful. Loved them. Will stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Julie A
Frankie S, Senior Executive Assistant at Courtyard Chicago Downtown/River North, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Hello Julie!

Great to hear from you. We're so glad you enjoyed your recent stay with us! Being in the heart of the city does have it's perks- being a short walk from nearly everything is definitely one of them!

You had some really insightful notes on the layout of our guest rooms. You may find this article on the Marriott "Underground" design lab interesting! ---> http://bit.ly/1h9eHLu

Thank you again for choosing us for your stay. We look forward to seeing you again!