“Very Nice Stay”

Courtyard Chicago Downtown/River North
Ranked #95 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed January 14, 2008

My family and I stayed at this hotel over Thanksgiving. It was nice, clean and staff were very friendly. The Desk person (people) were great anything I asked they had the right answer. The Bell Hop was cool. He had my 2 boys laughing all the way up to the 15th floor. In the little Café type thing the order taking lady was so friendly. We really did not know what we wanted. She took a whole lot of time telling us what was good, what she liked. She also put up with my kids doing Kid things. The cook was a very cool guy, I forgot to ask for extra cheese. So I asked him if he could put some on, with out thinking twice he put extra, then said yes. And they didn't charge me for it. The price per night was very good. Well worth it. We had a great time in Chicago, it is like New York City, only the people are NICER. Would HIGHLY recommend this Hotel and City to anyone!

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family

Reviewed December 1, 2007

I love the Courtyard on Ontario in Chicago. To start off the hotel lobby smells incredible, and has a warmth I cant explain. The service is always excellent from the time you arrive at the door till your stay is over. The rooms are all very nice, and the location is great! Overall I love this hotel!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank walleyeotter
Reviewed October 14, 2007

If you are going to stay in downtown Chicago, you bite the bullet & pay the price. The price flucuates with what events are happening in town. The strong point of this hotel is the staff particularly the bellhops who are very knowledgeable about tourist attractions, restaurants, etc. Also the location is good when connecting to buses & trains. The hotel has a Starbucks off the lobby. There are several good restaurants within walking distance. We found a Greek deli bar (one block N on State St) with a great $5 breakfast. Shopping is also close by on Michigan Ave & State St. Rooms are small but with a nice decor. I asked for a new shower curtain liner & got it immediately. Supposedly the rooms are going to be remodeled in 2008.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SunPilgrim
Reviewed September 28, 2007

We were booked into the Red Roof Inn across the street- a wedding group. The hotel was in such bad shape, we came across the street and had the best four days in Chicago, mainly because our Marriott hotel experience was so wonderful. The desk clerks were very helpful in getting us into the hotel on a moments notice and the town was filled conventions and every hotel was booked. They did find us a room and a beautiful one at that. The halls were spacious and decorated so beautifully. So clean and the rooms were very modern. We just loved the room and bathroom. We used the pool and again-so clean. The staff were very helpful with directions. This location was the best- walking distance to everything. We went to plays, Michigan Ave for all the great shopping-food-pier. We will definitely stay here again and refer this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank tutorpro
Reviewed September 17, 2007

We stayed at the Courtyard 9/15/07 & 9/16/07. It was my birthday weekend so there were a total of 4 of us (me and 3 girlfriends). My husband & I have a travel club so we're used to staying in condo only.
Check In:
We didn't check in till about 2am or a bit later. There were 2 people at the front desk. I walked up to the one guy that wasn't on the phone and he pointed to the guy on the phone. So I waited for him to get off the phone & he checked me in. I requested 2 double beds. I had booked a king room on price line for $92 per night & when I called at 1pm earlier that day the guy told me that when we checked in if there were 2 double beds available we could switch. When we were about 1 hour away from the hotel I called anonymously to ask if they had any rooms with 2 double beds available and we were told there were several. The guy at the counter acted like since I booked through priceline he was doing me this HUGE favor by switching us to a 2 double bed room. But he gave off the impression that he could work some magic and get me what I wanted. Since I had read the reviews on here b4 we booked it I asked for a mini fridge & microwave. He told me that he & the other guy were the only ones working at that time of night, so he could have a mini-fridge to us in the morning, but there were no microwaves left. I said ok, no problem.
The Room:
The room was rather small for the price. The TV wasn't impressive. Flat screen, but not the thin plasma style, maybe about 27 or 32 inches. The sink outside the bathroom was pretty small, little counter space for 1 person (and there were 4 of us). The bathroom was a good size the shower curtain & rings were very nice. The towels were low quality and smell a little too strongly of bleach. There was a small coffee maker on the sink along with a few packs of coffee, but there wasn't enough sugar or crème. There was a nice cushy chair w/ ottoman in the corner. A thin tall desk w/ a keyboard on it. was in the other corner with a firm swivel desk chair w/ a high back.
Now on to the best part of our stay... the bed. WOW! It was amazing. Fitting 2 people into a double bed normally would be rather uncomfortable. But this was a cloud from heaven. On top of the terrific mattress & box spring there was a feather bed overlay. It was amazing. You sink right in and don't want to move. Other reviews said they had a problem w/ the feathers poking them, but I had NO such issue. The bedding seemed to be a higher thread count and was very nice.
The pool was closed & we weren't tired so we went to look around the hotel. We stumbled upon a room that said 'authorized personnel only', but it was unlocked & the door was ajar. In this room were piles upon piles of microwaves and friges. I can't believe that guy lied to me!! So we used the dolly that was sitting there and wheeled our own fridge & microwave down to our room.
NO Breakfast???:
The next morning we were looking forward to fresh fruit, muffins, bagels and make your own waffles like I had read about in the review. I called down to the front desk and it rang for almost 1 minute and 40 seconds. I asked where the complimentary breakfast was located. They said there is only complimentary coffee. I was so pissed. If I pay $92 per night I was expecting at least cold cereal or danish or doughnuts or something. I can stay at a hotel for $40 a night and at least get stale doughnuts & coffee & tea. They have a full Star Bucks & a little cafe that serves a buffet breakfast for $15-16. Again I was really angry.
Parking:
They offer valet parking for $41 per day, BUT you can park less than 1 short block away for $12 per day. Walk out the front door of the hotel, turn left walk about 1 block, maybe 1.5 block and there is a lot that has a guard there 24 hours.
Checkout:
Check out was speedy, but the woman didn't ask how my stay was, so I didn't say anything. I figured I'd write to the company. A very very very nice bellhop loaded up all of stuff onto a cart and wheeled it down to our car 1.5 blocks away. He was awesome, but I can't remember his name. We tipped him well.

Overall, I wouldn't stay here again for the price. I expected more. Maybe I expected too much, maybe I'm spoiled by staying in condos when we travel. This is just my opinion.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank sargent5605
Reviewed August 23, 2007

The location was very convenient. A block from the El station and down the street from Pizzeria Uno, ESPN Zone and other restaurants. For a free continental breakfast, it was very good. Fruit, juices, cereal, bagels, muffins, homeade waffles. My only negative was the size of our room. We had a queen sized bed, non-smoking room. The room was small. We did not plan to spend much time in the room, so once we adjusted to it, it worked out fine.

Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Joanna B
Reviewed August 13, 2007

I spent a week here for business, and I was really impressed with this place. The staff was courteous and knowledgable about the area, (recommending a few restaurants in the area). The room I had was a king sized bed and there was plenty of room. I also enjoyed the free USA Today delivered daily to my room. This hotel is within walking distance of the House of Blues, ESPN Zone, The Webber Grill, and Redfish bar and grill. Also right on a bus line that will take you to Navy Pier and the Mag Mile. Only complaint I have about this hotel is that there is no wireless available. But they do have free broadband in the rooms!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business