I stayed here for three nights for a business conference. Located right in the heart of downtown Chicago (near Millennium Park), the Silversmith hotel is surprisingly difficult to locate, at least for me. The hotel staff & valet are very helpful and outgoing, and the room is clean and comfortable. The hotel was a tough find because it's located near the train and has a very undistinguished front door (on South Wabash Avenue between East Madison Street and East Monroe Street next to the TCF Bank). For this meeting, I was deciding between the Silversmith and Holiday Inn Mart Plaza, and I think I'll try the Holiday Inn next time for comparison.
1. Great location. Walking distance to Millennium/Grant Park, State Street (shopping), and Intelligentsia Coffee.
2. The hotel and valet staff are friendly and helpful; even at midnight. I had an 100 lbs product shipped to the hotel, and it was brought to my room when I checked in and brought back down in the morning. While I had no other alternative but to use the hotel's valet service, I felt the valet service was very professional and courteous. Each morning, I would called down for my car to be readied at a certain time and it was always on-time and ready to go. Look it up on Google Map's "Street View" before heading there.
1. The complimentary internet is extremely slow. Think 28.8k dial-up speed. This was very annoying because I was kept up trying to access emails and vendor info because only one would operate at any given time.
2. While on the highest floor (10th), I can still hear the train operating directly in front of the hotel.
3. Parking is über expensive: $42/day, but I doubt other comparable hotels in the area are charging less. From previous posts, I read about a nearby parking garage that charges less, but I was told that the nearby parking garage charges each time you enter and exit the garage. Since I was constantly in-and-out, I reluctantly paid the hotel's parking fees.
4. The room's decor is dated.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy exceptional service, a warm and elegant setting with an unparalleled location in downtown Chicago. The Silversmith Hotel Chicago Downtown is a a rare gem, that is encased in classical architecture and sparkling with a new choice of luxury through contemporary spacious guest rooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Hotwire, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, HotelsforEveryone, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Silversmith Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Silversmith Hotel And Suites
- The Silversmith Hotel Chicago
- Silversmith Hotel Chicago