“Really great price, great size room and comfy beds!”

Silversmith Hotel Chicago Downtown
Ranked #26 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed March 6, 2010

I stayed at the Silversmith while on a 2 months holiday in the US. It was one of the best hotels i stayed in. When I checked in I couldn't believe the size of the room. A nice living room area with couch, tv, microwave and coffee maker (coffee not provided) and desk with free wired internet (which worked great). A very large and very clean bathroom, and a huge bed in a good size bedroom which was sepetate. My room looked over the railway and at first I was a little worried about noise... it was not a problem. I could hardly hear a thing. And i didn't even notice the train.

All the door staff were fantastic, they gave me some great advise on where to eat and were very friendly. They could see I was travelling alone and kind of looked out for me. The building was secure which also made me feel safe.

And then theres the price which was great. Chicago seemed to be a bit expensive and this hotel had a great size room in a great location for a fantastic price! What more can i say!

Oh and the bed are so comfy which is something you don't always find in a hotel!!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (2,177)

Reviewed February 24, 2010

We stayed at the Silversmith for a weekend getaway. The hotel itself is a beauty- a wonderfully restored 1896 DH Burnham firm building with National Landmark status. Our room was full modernized, yet reflected its art and crafts movement heritage in its furnishings, wall coverings, and carpet designs. The room was surprising spacious.
The lobby was a comfortable place to relax by the fire and access the wi-fi (in room there was a data port).
The location was great- close to the art museum and just steps from the Madison/Wabash el stop. As with any hotel in the loop, there was the sound of the el. The well glazed windows helped minimize the sound, but if you are a light sleeper, you may want earplugs. We heard no other city sounds (ie- sirens, car alarms, garbage trucks).
There is no in room coffee and the coffee shop downstairs closes on Sunday. There are several chain coffee shops withhin a block, but your best bet is the The Pittsfield Grill in the Pittsfield Building just a block away. Good breakfast, great value, and in the atrium of another classic old Chicago building.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 18, 2010

The Silversmith was just right: convenient to things in the Loop including art venues, near the El as well as the Blue and Red lines so you could get anywhere, huge room (bigger than my NYC apartment), restaurant on first floor, free wired internet access in the room worked well enough (didn't try the lobby wireless), door guys friendly. Oh, the price was only $89 a night, reserved on the hotel website. (The only reason I'm not rating the service above is I didn't really use it; the desk clerks were fine but I didn't ask anything of them other than check in and out.) (My room was on the front of the building and I could hear the trains; if that bothers you, you might ask for an inner room.)

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed February 16, 2010

My gal pal and I have traveled extensively over the past three years within and outside of the United States. So far the Silversmith has been one of our best finds for the money. Just a few of the highlights were cleanliness of private and public areas, helpfulness of the staff, conveniency of location and quality and cost of the food within the hotel's deli.
It was surprisingly quiet considering it's location next to the L Really, we hated to leave but took comfort in the fact that we would definitely return.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 16, 2010

There are nicer hotels in Chicago, definitely (if money is no object, check out the Swissotel), but for the price, there is NOTHING better in Chicago. For a well-below average rate, you get a very nice room (HUGE! Especially the bathrooms), incredible customer service - I've only been there three times, but the employees all remember me, they constantly check up on you and help any way they can - and the location, which is right in the heart of downtown and just seconds from almost all of the L stations, is unbeatable. They do charge $40 for parking a night, but this is standard fare for downtown Chicago. I will continue to use this hotel every time I visit the city, as they're above average in every possible way.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 5, 2010

I was in Chicago (my home town for a funeral) - I flew in that morning went directly to the funeral and finally checked into the hotel at around 8 p.m. All I wanted was to have a cup of coffee and watch TV - I was scheduled to fly out early the next day.

I was amazed not to find in room coffee and that the remote for the TV in my room did not have the closed caption option. I am deaf and cannot watch TV without it. Fortunately the desk clerk was familiar with the problem and was able to direct me to a convenience store for coffee and explain to me how to set up the captioning on the TV.

The bed was wonderfully comfortable - and the staff was very pleasant.

For the price and the convenience the hotel is a great deal and I would stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 14, 2010

I say surprisingly because this hotel doesn't have an overwhelming amount of great reviews. Nor, does it have a brand name, so I knew what to expect. Friendly, quiet and centrally located. We got our rooms on a deal, so I'd say this hotel was easily worth the money. The room was big. The first room was a "living room" with tv and couch. Then a bedroom separate from that. I don't think I would pay the top dollar though. We did not use the gym. No cont breakfast. Best deal: free internet connection. This is the kind of hotel you sleep/wake up early to work out/leave. No frills. It's not hard to find but it's hard to notice because there are no large signs/displays. And if you pass it, you'll have to go around the block to return. My only real complain is the amount of the valet service - it seemed excessive. Because we got the room on a deal, I went for it.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple