“Great location, no where to hang towel”

The Silversmith Hotel
Ranked #17 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada
“Great location, no where to hang towel”
Reviewed August 8, 2014

This hotel has a super location. You can walk to most attractions. Nice big clean rooms. Only two complaints: 1) We couldn't believe there were absolutely no towel rods to hang your towel on! Only a small hook on the back of the bathroom door and another small hook way down at the far end of the bathroom by the toilet--no where to hang even a hand towel near the sink or to hang a bath towel near the shower. 2) The lighting in the living room and by the entrance door was very dim.
Other than those two things, the place was great.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the "L" (elevated rail transit system) as the trains go right by...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Marilyn F
Hans R, General Manager at The Silversmith Hotel, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Marilyn F., thank you for sharing your experience at Silversmith Hotel. We too love our location right alongside the loop, providing easy access to all that the Windy City has to offer. We apologize for the lack of towel rods and subpar lighting. We will look to improve upon these inconveniences for future visits. Thank you for bringing this to light and we do hope you will give us another chance to impress you the next time you find yourself in Chicago, Marilyn.

Regards,
Hans Ritten

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (559)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Oakland, California
Reviewed August 7, 2014

I am on a 30 day Amtrak USRail pass and stayed at the Silversmith twice for one night both going East and West. It was an easy 10-15 minute walk from Union Station, with many restaurants and cafés along the way.

Public transportation in the Loop area is everywhere, but I walked everywhere I went.

The hotel is one block fro Millenium Park,and I wandered over for a free concert on a Monday night--many families, nicely monitored and policed, safe.

I booked the 90 minute Architectural River Cruise through the hotel and saved $10. This cruise is a must-do for visitors.

The first night I stayed in a room on the "quiet side" of the hotel away from the elevated train. It was very nice.

Unfortunately, I got in late for my second visit and got room 501, right by the train. I was tired, but was woken up by train noise at 6:30am. (Sigh).

When I checked out at noon, the sweet desk clerk, Paige, asked me how my stay was, and I asked her if she'd like to hear a complaint. "Of course!"

As soon as I told her, she apologized and then offered me a free lunch in the hotel restaurant, saying she wanted me to be happy and return in the future. The lunch was great!

The staff at the Silversmith is excellent, very helpful and courteous. The rooms are comfortable and well appointed, and the bathroom I had featured a tub and a separate shower. All very clean.

The price I got when I phoned was as good or better than on any website.

I will stay there again, but I'll ask for a quiet room next time!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the train noise.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Hans R, General Manager at The Silversmith Hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Jazztonight, thank you for taking the time to share your experience with The Silversmith Hotel. We are glad you enjoyed our central location in the Windy City along with our recently renovated accommodations and luxury amenities . Our staff strives to provide optimal guest services, and we are glad they could make your visit to Chicago a memorable one. We look forward to you joining us again the next time you are in the Chicago area.

Reviewed August 7, 2014 via mobile

I was very impressed upon first walking into this newly renovated hotel. Unfortunately my room smells strongly of paint and after trying to call the front desk for half an hour, the best the hotel could do was tell me to open a window. Now I have a nice restaurant kitchen smell in addition to paint. I would recommend staying at a hotel with better customer service and rooms that don't smell

Stayed August 2014
Chelsea921, thank you for taking the time to share you experience with The Silversmith Hotel. We apologize for the paint smell in your room during you stay with us. We will look into this inconvenience to improve upon for future visits. We hope you give us another chance to impress you the next time you are in the Chicago area.

New York City, New York
Reviewed August 5, 2014

While I was a bit put off when the taxi dropped me off under the clanging "L" line, I was soon assured by the warm and efficient front desk clerk that the windows in the hotel had been soundproofed to assure a quiet nights sleep. Still I insisted on being put on a high floor and in the back of the hotel. The room was dark and faced a wall, but was quiet and lovely. Very well appointed with a cushy bed, a refrigerator and coffee maker. The hotel has a well equipped gym and is very well located steps to the Art Institute (one of the finest in the country) and the park.

Room Tip: Ask for a room up high far away from the L line.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Thank you Paul_NYC_10 for taking the time to review The Silversmith Hotel. We are glad you enjoyed our recently renovated accommodations and luxury amenities along with our central location in the Windy City. Our staff strives on providing optimal guest services, and we are glad our staff could make your visit a memorable one. We look forward to you joining us again the next time you are in the Chicago area.

Oviedo, Florida
Reviewed August 5, 2014

Picked this hotel because of location as we were attending the Lollapalooza festival. It is a block off Michigan Avenue by Millenneum Park and literally within walking distance of almost everything. Felt safe with alot of people around. Closeby is a Target, CVS, 7Eleven. For breakfast I would highly recommend the Corner Bakery Cafe on block away recommended by our doorman. We took the L from Midway and got off a few steps from the hotel. Our doorman, Enrique, was so friendly and helpful, always greeting us with a genuine smile. The front desk staff including Ariel were also great. They stored our luggage until our room was ready and then called us when it was. Our King executive room was very nice on the 8th floor (we asked for a high room). We were worried about the train noise but this was not an issue at all. First thing in morning on weekdays you could hear a sound like air conditioning, but that was it. The bed was very comfortable, the room was spacious, the bathroom was very nice, and there was a fridge, Keurig, and safe. We were so happy we picked this hotel...would HIGHLY recommend staying here!!

Room Tip: We asked for a street view, high room. The king executive room was perfect for me and my 2 teenagers...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Maureen L, thank you for taking the time to review The Silversmith Hotel. We are glad you enjoyed our central location in the Windy City neared famed attractions, shopping, and dining. We too love our recently renovated accommodations and chic, modern decor. Our staff strives to provide optimal guest services, and we are glad we could make your stay in Chicago a memorable one. We look forward to you joining us again the next time you are in the Windy City.

State College, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 5, 2014

We recently stayed at the Silversmith Hotel in Chicago for 10 days. From the moment we arrived, we had an amazing experience there. The building was extremely clean and charming; the location is excellent, with short and easy walks to many of the major sites (Millennium Park, the Art Institute, Shedd Aquarium, Adler Planetarium, Symphony Center, Lyric Opera, and much more) and many restaurants as well as the train, underground, Metra, and buses. The staff were truly remarkable from the moment we arrived until we left. Everyone -- from the front desk through the bell staff, housekeeping, and bar/restaurant -- was sincerely friendly, forthcoming in their desire to be helpful, and they seemed genuinely interested in making our experiences in the city and at the hotel memorable. Bravo to the management for hiring an excellent team of employees who seemed to enjoy serving everyone who walked through the doors. An added plus -- the beds and pillows ensured we had happy dreams!

Room Tip: Rooms away from Wabash Avenue are quietest (the "L" train runs one level above ground alon...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Laurel_Sanders123, thank you for taking the time to share your experience with The Silversmith Hotel. We are glad our staff could provide you with optimal guest services and make your visit to Chicago a memorable one. We too love our recently renovated accommodations with luxury amenities and chic, modern decor along with our central location We look forward to you joining us again the next time you are in the Windy City.

Finland
Reviewed August 5, 2014

Location of this hotel is the best. It's within walking distance of everything and there is also metro stations nearby. You can actually get from ORD Airport into this hotel if you like to. There is lots of restaurants, Grant Park, shops and even a big Target in the same block.

Service was great in every way. The hotel seems like a brand new and it's super clean. The room is filled with unique design details.

This is my choice for Chicago. Hopefully to see you again.

Room Tip: Some extra dollars will get you an upgraded room, it was worth it.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tommypee1
Thank you for taking the time to share you experience with The Silversmith Hotel. We are glad you enjoyed our central location in the Windy City near famed attractions, shopping, and dining. We too love our recently renovated accommodations with luxury amenities and modern decor. We look forward to you joining us again the next time you are in the Chicago area.