We are 60-year-old self-funded retirees with lots of pleasure and business travel experience in many parts of the world. We have high, but not unreasonable expectation of hotels and, more importantly, we always try to match our expectations with what we believe we purchased. Our most important criteria for selecting a hotel are cleanliness and location. For this hotel, we booked a room with one queen size bed and got a larger room.
It’s a small establishment that had been tastefully refurbished when we stayed there in April 2014. Our room was very clean, a generous size, the bed was really comfortable and the shower was hot and strong. Our room didn't have a bath, which didn't bother us at all. The Hotel's Wi-Fi network was very good and fast. When we stayed, the second floor of the hotel, which was the foyer before renovations, was in its original condition. Drop in and have a look, it's a great example of a hotel from a previous era.
The staff was very friendly and very helpful. They even provided a list of nearby restaurants we might like to try, even though they had an in-house dining room that was very good, although we didn't use it a lot.
For location, you can't beat this hotel. It’s only a couple of blocks from Chicago town centre and 10 minutes real easy stroll to the Wrigley building. It was close to both rail and bus routes, however, being in such a great location we actually walked our way around most of the interesting parts of Chicago.
If your looking for good spots to eat. We ate at Etaly (yes, this is the correct spelling) on East Ohio St, which was a really good Italian food and wine experience and Uno Pizzeria that is just up the road from Etaly for good original Chicago Deep Dish pizza. A local recommended both of these places to us.
The only problem with the hotel is that the elevated city loop runs right outside the hotel. It's a positive if you view an EL station within meters of the front door as a benefit. We had a room at the back, and while you could hear the trains, it wasn't "show-stopper" for me. I'm a light sleeper but stilled managed to sleep well enough.
All up, this hotel is in a great location, its very good value and I'd stay there again. There were lots of business travellers staying.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy exceptional service, a warm and elegant setting with an unparalleled location in downtown Chicago. The Silversmith Hotel Chicago Downtown is a a rare gem, that is encased in classical architecture and sparkling with a new choice of luxury through contemporary spacious guest rooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cancelon, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, HotelsforEveryone, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Silversmith Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Silversmith Hotel And Suites
- The Silversmith Hotel Chicago
- Silversmith Hotel Chicago