“Good hotel but a few things you should know”

Silversmith Hotel Chicago Downtown
Ranked #21 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Silversmith Hotel:

Pros:
Appeared clean
Big Room
Newly renovated
Very friendly staff
Big Shower
Free Wifi
Refrigerator
Safe
Good location
Comfortable bed (although high – I’m tall so it was ok for me)

Cons:
Décor
Layout of room and bathroom
Amenities
Not hot enough water
Uncomfortable Shower
Outlet availability
No signage on room with ice machine

Explanation of cons:

I originally picked this hotel because of the pictures I saw on travel websites that showed an Arts & Crafts boutique hotel – which is the period my husband and both love the most. Luckily I checked out the hotel web site and saw that the rooms were recently updated in a different style, was disappointed but at least the lobby was still Arts & Crafts. Upon arriving I found out from the staff (who were very friendly) that the lobby was going to be changed as well. There are a lot of hotels to choose from and this was the main reason I chose this one, so I don’t see a reason to return to be honest. I think the new décor is modern 20’s glam. It doesn’t quite work. I would never hire whoever they did to design the room.

The desk has a convenient outlet on the front, which was nice, but the only outlet by the bed had one plug available (others were for light and radio etc.) Other side of the bed didn’t have any. Most newly renovated hotels have lamps with outlets on them.

In the bathroom you cannot be at the sink with the door open and the tiles on the shower floor were uneven so were uncomfortable to stand on, my husband said the problem was the grouting – that the grouting job was terrible. My husband felt that the shower wasn’t hot enough – I thought it was fine.

Amenities: no hair conditioner and after the first day of housekeeping they took away one of the soaps!

While the restaurant is being renovated they provide a continental breakfast in the lobby of toast, bagels, Danish, bananas, coffee and tea. It is basic but adequate for a quick breakfast.

Room Tip: Corner room we had was quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Susy C
Hans R, General Manager at Silversmith Hotel Chicago Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2013

Dear Valued Guest-

We are sorry that you are not a fan of our new look but hope that our service WOW's you enough to come see us again. We do hope that we will see you again.

There are newer reviews for Silversmith Hotel Chicago Downtown

Reviewed November 7, 2013

We had just one day in Chicago and therefore were looking for a hotel next to some of the sites we wanted to see. This hotel was the perfect choice. Within waking distance of the Art Museum, Millenium Park,.Public Library and shopping centre this is a great location. The staff is very friendly and the room has everything you need including a mini fridge, coffee maker and a proper desk if you need to do some work. On the downside, our room was just above the train rails, which was a bit of a problem for me.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hans R, General Manager at Silversmith Hotel Chicago Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2013

Thank you for your comments. We are glad that you found our hotel very comfortable and convenient. We hope to see you again at The Silversmith Hotel.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

We stopped at the Silversmith on our way to a Notre Dame football game. It is a very nice place with newly remodeled rooms. Ours was a suite with a comfy sofa and art deco decor. Bath was very nice with a large walk in shower. Silversmith is on the el line, but we were in the rear so that was not a problem. Their restaurant is being renovated and so is closed. They do serve a continental breakfast in the lobby. There are also restaurants nearby.

It is located neat the Art Institute and Millennium Park.

Room Tip: Rooms toward the rear are quieter.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your comments. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you during your next trip to Chicago.

Reviewed November 5, 2013

A hidden gem conveniently located on jewelers' row in Loop, right next to El (which you can hear but didn't keep us up). Nice junior suite-style rooms, with fridge & wifi. Provided free continental breakfast in lieu of restaurant bring closed for renovation.

• Stayed: November 2013

Thank you for your nice comments! We are glad that you found us a hidden Jem and hope to see you again at The Silversmith Hotel.

Reviewed November 5, 2013

Just when one finds a hotel they like, the owners decide they need to redesign it to be look more modern? It is hard to review a hotel like this when it is undergoing such a dramatic transition and appears to be drifting away from its unique historic positioning. Based on some of the images I saw during our visit, the Silversmith is trying to be more like every other cookie-cutter hotel design. At this time there is not a functioning restaurant in the hotel due to renovations and a very basic complimentary continental breakfast is provided.

But taking design out of the equation (we love the super tall ceilings and historic hotels that embrace their heritage), the location of this hotel is great...CSO, Art Institute, Macy's, and lots of other great shopping is within easy walking distance. The front desk staff were genuinely friendly and eager to assist. The maintenance department responded promptly to our requests; nevertheless, the issues should have easily been spotted by a housekeeper and remedied. Hopefully the issue of banging water pipes will be addressed in the work being done on the guest rooms?

The housekeeping was very good; however, a major carpet stain in the sitting area was pretty hard to miss and it would pain us to think this was being ignored just because our room was slated for a redo within a short time. But extremely annoying and startling was the housekeeper knocking on our door at 9:00 AM. Even though we were scheduled to check-out within a couple of hours, a housekeeper should be advised by the front desk when a room is ready to be cleaned and there is no need for such a disturbance.

Stay tuned, we will just have to wait and see the newly "polished" Silversmith Hotel before making further determination if we will be returning. Though location is important in deciding which hotel to stay at, so is its ambiance. It is often said change is a good thing...we sure hope that will be the case at this lovely boutique hotel.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, request a room at the rear of the hotel and away from the "L".
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your comments. We hope that you will enjoy the changes and that we are welcoming you back to The Silversmith Hotel soon!

Reviewed November 4, 2013

We arrived early in Chicago from STL and we went straight to the hotel. We asked if we can check in a bit early (12 noon) and they did let us checkin. We were happy about that. When we got to our room there was a random couch in the middle of the room, no big deal they removed the couch but moved us in another room. We booked the suite and we were happy with it. There were 2 flat screen TVs in the room, one in the main bed and one in the living room. The hotel was newly renovated and the room was very modern. It was very clean. A couple of things I did not like about the hotel was there were no facial tissues and shower caps in the room. We had to ask for it. The whole hotel seems to be unprepared for guests. When we got there there were nowhere to put your luggage up but after a day it was already there.

Room Tip: 505 is pretty quiet. I did not hear any garbage trucks you can barely hear the train
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CMWar

Thank you for your comments. I am sorry for the initial inconveniences that you experienced but am pleased that the staff was able to remedy them and that you were able to enjoy your stay. I do apologize for the areas where we let you down, and hope that you will return to The Silversmith so that you can experience our service as it is designed to be experienced.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

Wow. I am an avid reader of reviews of hotels before I stay anywhere, and I feel really let down here. The only reviews that mentioned the noise mentioned the noise from the elevated train. Room 918 wasn't anywhere near the elevated train. We couldn't hear the el it at all. What we could hear, however, were what sounded just like garbage trucks. One right after the other, beep beep beeping as they backed down the alley, then the loud crashing as glass was emptied out of the dumpsters and into their truck. It was so loud we actually checked our windows to make sure they weren't open. It was way louder than our television. This continued until the wee hours of the morning (why are there so many garbage trucks in this alley?). When it finally stopped I checked the clock. It was 1:47 am. I was relieved it was over, but I was so wired I couldn't get back to sleep. A couple of hours later, just when I was finally going back to sleep, it started again!!!! It was horrible. This time the garbage trucks only seemed to do their thing for about a half an hour. I thought I would never get any sleep and we had a big day ahead of us on Saturday. On a more positive note, the women at the front desk on Friday night (11/1) and Saturday night (11/2) were wonderfully upbeat and helpful. They were very welcoming and gave us great advice on places to eat. By the way, we really recommend Rudy's around the corner on Madison. They have a $5 off coupon at the front desk. Back to the hotel, the lobby was under some sort of construction, and the ambience wasn't great. Our room was nice, but a little on the small side. We had a view of a brick wall. The decor was lovely, with plenty of drawer space and closet space. The beds seemed really small. I don't think they were queen beds, but full size ones. It was comfy, but quite a tight fit for both my husband and me. It was really nice to have a refrigerator in the room, too. The bathroom was really large, and so beautiful. My husband was really disappointed with the free breakfast, but I told him it was nicer than some of the other downtown hotels. I think he was looking for an actual hot breakfast like you'd get in a suburban hotel, but not here. I thought it was fine. It consisted of bagels, toast, banana bread or cinnamon rolls, coffee, juice, and bananas and apples. It did the trick for me. There was no noise on Saturday night, which is why I only caution about the Friday night. And again, I think it was garbage night. I would never ever stay here again on a Friday night. I might stay here another time due to the location, the help at the front desk, the decor of the rooms, and the added bonus of a free breakfast.

Room Tip: Avoid room 918 if at all possible, especially on a Friday night. Avoid any room on a Friday night t...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family