“Lovely hotel”

Ranked #17 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
durham, UK
“Lovely hotel”
Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 5 nights while in Chicago and couldn't fault it - ideal location, complimentary snack breakfast due to restaurant closure and pleasant staff. We did ask Conciege for a cheapest restaurant and he sent us to Mortons and once we'd ordered drinks we got the food menu and the food was $55 each with the side so we were pretty disappointed with this recommendation

• Stayed August 2013
Frank L, General Manager at The Silversmith Hotel, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Thanks for your review and comments. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay and that our staff took good care of you. We apologize for the miscommunication on the restaurant recommendation as there are several casual or fast food restaurants in the local area. Thanks for choosing the Silversmith and we look forward to seeing you in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (559)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Haverhill, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed September 12, 2013

I was in Chicago for one night attending a conference at a close-by hotel. I chose to stay at the Silversmith because it was less expensive, had great reviews, and easy to get to.
I made a GREAT choice. This hotel was clean, beautiful, and WAY more relaxed than the hustle and bustle of other hotels.
The staff were all extremely friendly (Ervin and Hillary were the only two who's names I remember, but they were ALL great).
For some reason, the deadbolt on my door didn't lock properly. When I called the front desk, they had maintenance up in a matter of minutes, and the door was fixed within half an hour.
Overall, I had a great experience and hope that I'm able to stay here again when in Chicago.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Frank L, General Manager at The Silversmith Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Thanks so much for your comments and positive feedback! We're glad that you found our hotel. As you noted, we are a great alternative to what you experience at other hotels. We appreciate your mentioning Ervin and Hillary as two members of our staff that do a fantastic job taking care of our guests. We're very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and you now have a preferred hotel when staying in downtown Chicago. We look forward to seeing you in the near future!
Mattituck, New York
Reviewed September 12, 2013

The hotel is located close to all the attractions and the price was good. There were renovations going on and we were moved to one of the new rooms - much better than the first room to which we were assigned. The best thing about the Silversmith is the staff. The people at the desk were very nice, and the guys at the door - Enrique and Andrae - were terrific. They knew where everything was and had the answers to every question we asked.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your review and comments. We greatly appreciate your feedback; especially mentioning the service you received from Enrique and Andre. Thanks for choosing the Silversmith and we look forward to seeing you in the future.
New Jersey
Reviewed September 10, 2013

I was in town for a business conference and was unable to stay at the conference hotel. I selected the Silversmith for its proximity to my meetings. The hotel was undergoing some renovations and the bar and restaurant were closed during my stay. I did find the rooms to be very nicely decorated and clean. The important features such as a safe, a refrigerator were both available. I had an executive room and really enjoyed having the small seating area and second television. The staff at the hotel were very friendly and professional. The breakfast they served was typical small pastries, juice and coffee. My only disappointments about staying at the hotel were not really about the hotel and more about its area and location. The train runs within feet of the building and was very loud. My room was on the side of the hotel away from the train and I still heard it a lot! I can only imagine what is sounded like from rooms facing the train. Secondly, there were a lot of street hustlers and panhandlers around the block or two around the hotel. I was approached at least a dozen times and was actually intimidated by a group of the panhandlers that hassled me and followed me down the street. I think I would think twice about staying in this area if I came back to Chicago.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better to get away from the train noise and ask for rooms away from the sid...
1 Thank pattilca
Thanks for taking to time to share your comments with us. We're happy to know that you enjoyed your room accommodations and you found our staff to be friendly and attentive to your needs. We're disappointed to hear of the challenges you encountered while walking around the Michigan Avenue/Loop area of downtown. We appreciate your choosing the Silversmith and hope to see you again on your next trip to Chicago.
liverpool
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Stayed five nights in a fourth floor double room and loved every moment.Hotel in good location,room very clean,maid service every day overall very good stay. A few things that were not so good, maid service missed out something everyday, not vacumed very well, toilet paper not replaced, no pen for duration of stay.small things that stopped me giving a excellent overall rating.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Frank L, General Manager at The Silversmith Hotel, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Thanks for the review and comments. We appreciate the positive feedback as well as the areas we need to improve upon. Thanks again for choosing the Silversmith and we hope to see you on your next visit to downtown Chicago.
NJ
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Before raving about the hotel, let me rave about the staff. So helpful, so knowledgeable, so friendly. Ervin, Andrae & Enrique... thanks... you made a great vacation even better.!!
The room was big, clean, modern, every comfort. The lobby is a treasure, refinished beautifully.
Walk to the parks, the stores, the river..... great location.... all great .. we will return !!

Room Tip: Higher floors are best
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for all the wonderful comments about the hotel and staff. We especially appreciate your mentioning Ervin, Andre and Enrique who do a great job welcoming our guests to the Silversmith. We're happy to hear that you had a great vacation and were able to enjoy many of the fantastic attractions here in downtown Chicago. Thanks for your recommendation and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future!
Minneapolis
Reviewed September 9, 2013

First - the people at the front desk were nice although when they asked for my email address they also promised to email my receipt which didn't happen. My suite #505 was loaded with dark oak - very dated but still a bit of old school charm. The carpet was stained and needed stretching - there were speed bumps where the carpet buckled up - like walking on dirty waves. The mirror in the bathroom was covered in film. The shower had mold. Bathroom floor had cracks in the tile and the grout was just filthy. With so many choices in Chicago I would not chose this one again.

Room Tip: Stay away from the front of the building if you don't want to hear trains.
1 Thank James P
Thank you for your comments. I'm very disappointed I didn't have the opportunity to speak with you during your stay. Please give me a call when you have a chance - thanks!