“Attractive Centrally Located Hotel in the Loop”

Silversmith Hotel Chicago Downtown
Ranked #17 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
New Jersey
“Attractive Centrally Located Hotel in the Loop”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

I was in town for a business conference and was unable to stay at the conference hotel. I selected the Silversmith for its proximity to my meetings. The hotel was undergoing some renovations and the bar and restaurant were closed during my stay. I did find the rooms to be very nicely decorated and clean. The important features such as a safe, a refrigerator were both available. I had an executive room and really enjoyed having the small seating area and second television. The staff at the hotel were very friendly and professional. The breakfast they served was typical small pastries, juice and coffee. My only disappointments about staying at the hotel were not really about the hotel and more about its area and location. The train runs within feet of the building and was very loud. My room was on the side of the hotel away from the train and I still heard it a lot! I can only imagine what is sounded like from rooms facing the train. Secondly, there were a lot of street hustlers and panhandlers around the block or two around the hotel. I was approached at least a dozen times and was actually intimidated by a group of the panhandlers that hassled me and followed me down the street. I think I would think twice about staying in this area if I came back to Chicago.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better to get away from the train noise and ask for rooms away from the sid...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank pattilca
Frank L, General Manager at Silversmith Hotel Chicago Downtown, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Thanks for taking to time to share your comments with us. We're happy to know that you enjoyed your room accommodations and you found our staff to be friendly and attentive to your needs. We're disappointed to hear of the challenges you encountered while walking around the Michigan Avenue/Loop area of downtown. We appreciate your choosing the Silversmith and hope to see you again on your next trip to Chicago.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (565)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
liverpool
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Stayed five nights in a fourth floor double room and loved every moment.Hotel in good location,room very clean,maid service every day overall very good stay. A few things that were not so good, maid service missed out something everyday, not vacumed very well, toilet paper not replaced, no pen for duration of stay.small things that stopped me giving a excellent overall rating.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Frank L, General Manager at Silversmith Hotel Chicago Downtown, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Thanks for the review and comments. We appreciate the positive feedback as well as the areas we need to improve upon. Thanks again for choosing the Silversmith and we hope to see you on your next visit to downtown Chicago.
NJ
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Before raving about the hotel, let me rave about the staff. So helpful, so knowledgeable, so friendly. Ervin, Andrae & Enrique... thanks... you made a great vacation even better.!!
The room was big, clean, modern, every comfort. The lobby is a treasure, refinished beautifully.
Walk to the parks, the stores, the river..... great location.... all great .. we will return !!

Room Tip: Higher floors are best
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for all the wonderful comments about the hotel and staff. We especially appreciate your mentioning Ervin, Andre and Enrique who do a great job welcoming our guests to the Silversmith. We're happy to hear that you had a great vacation and were able to enjoy many of the fantastic attractions here in downtown Chicago. Thanks for your recommendation and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future!
Minneapolis
Reviewed September 9, 2013

First - the people at the front desk were nice although when they asked for my email address they also promised to email my receipt which didn't happen. My suite #505 was loaded with dark oak - very dated but still a bit of old school charm. The carpet was stained and needed stretching - there were speed bumps where the carpet buckled up - like walking on dirty waves. The mirror in the bathroom was covered in film. The shower had mold. Bathroom floor had cracks in the tile and the grout was just filthy. With so many choices in Chicago I would not chose this one again.

Room Tip: Stay away from the front of the building if you don't want to hear trains.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank James P
Thank you for your comments. I'm very disappointed I didn't have the opportunity to speak with you during your stay. Please give me a call when you have a chance - thanks!
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 9, 2013

While the hotel is situated in an older building (as a matter of fact, the lobby, situated on an upper floor, is eerily similar to the Overlook Hotel in the film, THE SHINING) but the rooms are contemporary. I was fortunate to stay on the recently renovated tenth floor and upgraded to a suite, which was small but well appointed with a large bathroom (great shower, but no bathtub), two big flat screen TV's, and a very comfy queen sized bed with many luxuriously fluffy pillows. The Silversmith is centrally located to theatres and shopping, all within walking distance, though the sometimes noisy El Train is right outside. The only downside of this convenient location is the collection of dodgy characters lingering near the entrance of the hotel (there is not always a doorman at his post either) and along South Wabash. And it's sometimes difficult to hail a taxi out front.
Still, the hotel staff is friendly and accommodating. Room service was prompt and the meals delicious. But as nice as the room was, the management would be well advised to go out and buy some new towels!

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the 10th floor (it's newly renovated) or at least a higher floor, away from...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your detailed review and comments. We appreciate the positve comments on the new rooms. Our hotel is located in a nationally registered building with a contemporary flare. We're happy to hear that you found our staff to be accommodating and that you enjoyed your meals. Also, thanks for helping us improve our houskeeping services. We're glad you chose the Silversmith and we hope to see you again in the near future.
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed September 8, 2013

My boyfriend and I were visiting Chicago for the first time and wanted a nice hotel, next to all the action and we got just that! I am very particular about where I stay and I was happy with the executive suite we stayed in on one of the newly renovated floors. The suite was spacious and the rate we had included parking. Every time we requested the car, it came very quickly and the staff at the hotel was very helpful. The breakfast at the hotel wasn't very good but we were looking forward to eating at a local place called Wildberry (which was AMAZING) so that wasn't an issue for us. The hotel lobby was not very modern but our room made up for it, especially the bathroom and sitting area! Overall, great hotel...can't beat the location and excellent service

Room Tip: Make sure you get a newly renovated room!!!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for all your comments. We're very happy to know that we didn't disappoint you in your choosing the Silversmith for your first visit to Chicago. We appreciate knowing that you and your boyfriend enjoyed the new suite and that our staff provided you with excellent service. Thanks again for staying with us and we hope to see you again in the near future!
Pella, Iowa
Reviewed September 8, 2013

This was my first trip to Chicago and I will definitely go back. We stayed at the Silversmith because it was in the Loop and I had purchased a Groupon for 3 nights. The accomodations and staff couldn't be beat. There were many great restaurants and bars within easy walking distance. We purchased a GoChicago card which admitted us into all the must see's as well as the Hop On/Hop Off Trolley. The location can't be beat. The staff was terrific. Our room was ready when we got there at 10am. Check-out is noon, however because we were not leaving the city until 5pm, the Silversmith stored our luggage until we were ready to go. We felt very safe with the 24 hour doorman.

Room Tip: The only reason I gave the room's a 4 is because this is right by the EL, which wasn't a pro...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Wow, it sounds like you and your friends had a great first visit to Chicago! There certainly are many fantastic attractions all around the Silversmith. We appreciate your kind words about our staff and accommodations. Thanks again for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you again on your next visit!