“Location is key!”

Silversmith Hotel Chicago Downtown
Ranked #23 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

Great hotel. I've stayed there several times. The rooms are getting a little tired. Wall paper peeling, bathroom/bedroom doors won't lock apparently due to settling. It's in a great locations. Friendly staff.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank TheNationalTraveler
Michael V, General Manager at Silversmith Hotel Chicago Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Thank you for your review and for your comments. We appreciate the feedback and will work with the maintenance team to address the items the mentioned.
We truly appreciate that you've been here several times and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

We picked The Silversmith Hotel and Suites because it was reasonably priced and near the venue of the wedding that brought us to Chicago. We were blown away by the spacious room, the historic Frank Lloyd Wright decor and the unbeatable location. The L dropped us right at the Silversmith doorstep from Midway Airport, we were in the heart of The Loop and a five minute walk to Millennium Park and The Chicago Institute of Art.
Because the wedding date was changed, we had to rebook our reservation. Instead of dealing with an off-shore call center, we dealt directly with the hotel manager, Sergio, who was fantastic.
Highly recommended! We will go back.

• Stayed: March 2013

Thank you so much for the wonderful review. I will be sure to pass along your comments to Sergio.
We appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

As advertised, your clean room will show off its recent renovation, and have a coffee maker, quiet fridge,and nearly silent room. Although advertised, there were no robes in our room, or turn-down service. Unexpectedly, there was no morning brewed coffee in the lobby, though there was water by-the-glass. (You could purchase water-by-the-bottle, but we had brought ours.) Scraps of paper (litter) remained on the hallway floors for a couple of days. Our safe didn't work, and was not repaired during our stay. (We notified mgmt upon our arrival, and stayed at the hotel a couple of days.) Getting stamps on postcards was a breeze. Fitness center's 24-hour use was nice. The huge fireplace, in the lobby, was a lovely place to eat a take-in snack in front of. Frank Lloyd Wright interior decoration touches were clever. This hotel is not a "first choice," but a second.

Room Tip: We did not pay a premium for a quiet room. We asked for one, however, and got it. If you need a wo...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Michael V, General Manager at Silversmith Hotel Chicago Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Thank you for your review and for all of your comments, both positive and negative.
I am disappointed to hear about some of the service lapses that you encountered. I will share your comments with the staff and work to ensure that we can deliver a better overall experience.
We appreciate your business and do hope that you will stay with us again.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

This was a nice hotel that was centrally located on Wabash. Close to many of the Chicago attractions. Close to the metro. Great for walking to Michigan avenue and other locations. Staff was not very helpful or friendly. We stayed here for business. I would recommend this place for a decent place to stay in Chicago.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Michael V, General Manager at Silversmith Hotel Chicago Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Thank you for the review and your feedback. It is with both positive and negative comments that we hope to improve.
I am dissapointed to hear that you didn't find the staff very helpful or friendly. That is very contrary to how we try to operate and very atypical for the staff here. I am very sorry that we didn't meet or exceed your expectations.
We appreciate that you stayed with us and truly hope that you will consider us again in the future, so that we can put our best foot forward.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

I stayed here at the end of February on a business trip to Chicago. The hotel was easy to find in the Loop; with easy access to the El trains. There's actually a red line station right near the hotel--which I did not hear at all from my room which overlooked it. My room was quite large, with a very comfortable bed, 2 large flat screen tvs (in bedroom and sitting area), mini fridge (very handy), and free wifi. The bathroom was especially large, and spotless. The only drawback was I wish there were more accessible and usable power outlets (as is the case in many hotels). I had to unplug one of the two phones to charge my phone next to the bed. The location was great--my meeting was a few blocks away, and there were lots of dining options in all price points in the area. Would stay here on a return trip to Chicago.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for the review and the positive comments. We will see what can be done about the outlet situation- as we can certainly improve in this area.
We appreciate your business and hope to see you back again.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Came from the UK - great room, good view, friendly and very helpful staff. Enormous, uncrowded, and comfortable lobby area. The cleaner smiled and chatted in the morning. Great atmosphere and ideal location; it would be my first choice to stay in Chicago again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Thank you so much for the review. I will be sure to pass along your comments to the staff.
We appreciate your business and hope that if your travels from England bring you back to Chicago that we will get to see you again.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

There were a couple of glitches in my stay at the Silversmith (to which I was attracted by a Groupon offer), but overall, I am very positive on the hotel and would stay there again. It is a bit odd, in that there is very little street presence (just a door), and the lobby is on the second floor. But it is visually lovely--Arts and Crafts style--throughout, and the deli/restaurant (Ada's) that accompanies it (and where I ate all my breakfasts, since they were included in the cost of my room) is pleasant (at least the back room, which is the first one you enter when coming from the hotel rooms) and the food is OK (in a foodie town like Chicago "good" means really, really good).

The glitches: #1--I arrived in the middle of a snow storm, and the only person at the door did not help me with my bags (I struggled to get them over the snow and slush onto the sidewalk and to the door). It turns out that there are door people and valet people, and the door people do not touch baggage. There was no valet person around. So, I arrived annoyed. The people at the desk were very apologetic and nice, which helped to calm me down. So did the room, which was very pleasant and very clean, until--glitch #2--the second day of my stay, when my room was not cleaned. I was out all afternoon and evening and arrived to find the room completely untouched, bed unmade, dirty towels still on the floor, etc. The desk staff were appalled and had fresh towels, TP, etc. sent up immediately (11:30pm). And the next day, when I asked for a very late check out (for more than an hour, there is an extra chard), I asked for 4 extra hours with no charge and was given it without a question.

Even with the giltches, I found the hotel and the staff very pleasant and may indeed return there. A note: I paid attention to the reviews and requested a quiet room at the back, and I was given one. It had no view (just the back of the next building) but was very quiet (I only barely heard the El (train) and was easily able to sleep late. In addition, I ended up with a room upgrade.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for the review and for your comments. We really appreciate the feedback. I am sorry to hear of a couple service lapses during your stay and I apologize for the inconvenience. I was happy to hear that we were able to resolve the problems and that you would indeed return to our hotel.
We truly appreciate your business and hope to see you again in the future.