“Good hotel, great location, average staff.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Silversmith Hotel

The Silversmith Hotel
Ranked #15 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Ridgeland, Mississippi
“Good hotel, great location, average staff.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

This was a nice hotel that was centrally located on Wabash. Close to many of the Chicago attractions. Close to the metro. Great for walking to Michigan avenue and other locations. Staff was not very helpful or friendly. We stayed here for business. I would recommend this place for a decent place to stay in Chicago.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Michael V, General Manager at The Silversmith Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you for the review and your feedback. It is with both positive and negative comments that we hope to improve.
I am dissapointed to hear that you didn't find the staff very helpful or friendly. That is very contrary to how we try to operate and very atypical for the staff here. I am very sorry that we didn't meet or exceed your expectations.
We appreciate that you stayed with us and truly hope that you will consider us again in the future, so that we can put our best foot forward.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (547)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Brookline, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

I stayed here at the end of February on a business trip to Chicago. The hotel was easy to find in the Loop; with easy access to the El trains. There's actually a red line station right near the hotel--which I did not hear at all from my room which overlooked it. My room was quite large, with a very comfortable bed, 2 large flat screen tvs (in bedroom and sitting area), mini fridge (very handy), and free wifi. The bathroom was especially large, and spotless. The only drawback was I wish there were more accessible and usable power outlets (as is the case in many hotels). I had to unplug one of the two phones to charge my phone next to the bed. The location was great--my meeting was a few blocks away, and there were lots of dining options in all price points in the area. Would stay here on a return trip to Chicago.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the review and the positive comments. We will see what can be done about the outlet situation- as we can certainly improve in this area.
We appreciate your business and hope to see you back again.
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

Came from the UK - great room, good view, friendly and very helpful staff. Enormous, uncrowded, and comfortable lobby area. The cleaner smiled and chatted in the morning. Great atmosphere and ideal location; it would be my first choice to stay in Chicago again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for the review. I will be sure to pass along your comments to the staff.
We appreciate your business and hope that if your travels from England bring you back to Chicago that we will get to see you again.
Ann Arbor, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

There were a couple of glitches in my stay at the Silversmith (to which I was attracted by a Groupon offer), but overall, I am very positive on the hotel and would stay there again. It is a bit odd, in that there is very little street presence (just a door), and the lobby is on the second floor. But it is visually lovely--Arts and Crafts style--throughout, and the deli/restaurant (Ada's) that accompanies it (and where I ate all my breakfasts, since they were included in the cost of my room) is pleasant (at least the back room, which is the first one you enter when coming from the hotel rooms) and the food is OK (in a foodie town like Chicago "good" means really, really good).

The glitches: #1--I arrived in the middle of a snow storm, and the only person at the door did not help me with my bags (I struggled to get them over the snow and slush onto the sidewalk and to the door). It turns out that there are door people and valet people, and the door people do not touch baggage. There was no valet person around. So, I arrived annoyed. The people at the desk were very apologetic and nice, which helped to calm me down. So did the room, which was very pleasant and very clean, until--glitch #2--the second day of my stay, when my room was not cleaned. I was out all afternoon and evening and arrived to find the room completely untouched, bed unmade, dirty towels still on the floor, etc. The desk staff were appalled and had fresh towels, TP, etc. sent up immediately (11:30pm). And the next day, when I asked for a very late check out (for more than an hour, there is an extra chard), I asked for 4 extra hours with no charge and was given it without a question.

Even with the giltches, I found the hotel and the staff very pleasant and may indeed return there. A note: I paid attention to the reviews and requested a quiet room at the back, and I was given one. It had no view (just the back of the next building) but was very quiet (I only barely heard the El (train) and was easily able to sleep late. In addition, I ended up with a room upgrade.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the review and for your comments. We really appreciate the feedback. I am sorry to hear of a couple service lapses during your stay and I apologize for the inconvenience. I was happy to hear that we were able to resolve the problems and that you would indeed return to our hotel.
We truly appreciate your business and hope to see you again in the future.
Novi, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

Upon arrival, everyone was so friendly. From the valet, to the doorman, and the young men in the lobby assisting us while checking in. As we told them the purpose of our stay was for a 30th birthday, they immediately upgraded our room to a suite and later on sent up a bottle of red wine and chocolate! The room and the bathroom were quite spacious. The beds were comfortable as well. Although this hotel is older and in a historic building, it is comfortable, clean, and quiet. The bean/millennium park is one short block away. Almost everything is in walking distance. We did need to take a cab to north mi ave due to cold weather, but I wouldn't have minded the walk in the summer. As I plan another trip to Chicago later this year, I would defiantly consider this hotel again!

• Stayed March 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Michael V, General Manager at The Silversmith Hotel, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Thank you for such a great review! So nice to hear that we were able to make the 30th birthday special.
We hope to see you back!
Fenton, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

I loved this place! It is in the middle of the Jewelry District so we viewed many diamonds. It was right next to the subway. Easy to get to from the train station. The rooms were clean and comfortable. Breakfast was great. Employees were very helpful.

Room Tip: I am pretty sure all rooms have windows.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for the great review. We also think that our location is great! We appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon.
Lagos
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

The hotel location is great walking to loads of attraction bus route and train route was easy. The staff so friendly and always ready to help you. they had massive resources in providing information about restaurants where to shop maps etc. the rooms are good size and the suites are well furnished love the high ceilings.Would i stay there again Definitely Yes. and the price is great!!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank hkg_12
Thanks for such a great review! It was nice to hear that we were able to help you and the staff was very friendly.
We appreciate your comments and look forward to seeing you again.