“great choice”

Warwick Allerton-Chicago
Ranked #106 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed July 17, 2014

We recently stayed 3 nights at this hotel. It was the perfect location for us. It is steps off the magnificent mile and we were able to walk to many tourist attractions we visited. Our room was on the 24th floor with a view of Michigan Avenue. We had a huge room with a king sized bed and the room was lovely! The staff we encountered were welcoming and accomodating. Some reviews have commented on the elevators being small and/or slow. We found them to be efficient and a reasonable size for a hotel built in the 20's. This was a beautiful hotel and I would highly recommend it to anyone. The only negative was the price of parking our car for the 3 days (60 dollars a day) and that there was no free internet in our room. We had to sit in the lobby to message our family....you can pay for internet in your room. I feel in this day and age where you can get free internet in every coffee shop you go to a hotel of this caliber could offer that anemity as well. That aside I love this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
GM-Warwick-Allerton, General Manager at Warwick Allerton-Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2014

beachbum55_10,

Thank you for sharing your experience and we look forward to your future return.

Reviewed July 16, 2014

I say thankful because, I reserved the room on another site and did't know exactly what I was getting.(They, the other site)... advertised it as a chain style 4 to 4 and a half star.) I figured well that is good. After booked on the other site it gave the name of the Allerton, a Historic Chicago Hotel. My first impression was that IS NOT a common hotel like it gave as an example (eg: Hilton, Ramada...) So I decide to see the reviews. I read and was horrified by some of them, and thought, OMG! What did I get myself into??? After speaking with my better half, we laughed and remembered our trip to Waterton National Park and the "Prince of Wales Resort" in Canada. A step back in time when things were simpler. So we agreed to give it a try anyway, hoping the other two rooms we booked were up to "our take along guest" standards. We arrived early and were told only one of the rooms was ready, but we were not expecting them to be anyway(we were scoping out our lodging before hand.) We decided to upgrade for a small fee and that made us happy. We would all be on the same floor(19th)luckily by the time the other guest had arrived two of their rooms were available. We were waiting on our Jr.suite to be completed. We had dinner plans and reservations for 5:00. Luckily I had prepared and used one of the other suites to get ready before they all came. I waited in the lobby as my better half went up to quickly change in one of our kids rooms. Our room was finally ready by 4:30 (did I say they changed check in time to 4 instead of the 3 that was printed on our confirmation...with out notifying us?) Luckily where we needed to be was closer by, and our Chicago Host were meeting us at our Hotel. The rooms were older stlye, but tastefully done, remodeled and clean. We were worried about their size, that is why we did the upgrade...we were pleasantly surprised they were spacious enough, and because of our longer wait we were given a larger suite with no charge. The Placement of the hotel was prime and mostly quiet. It is close to a hospital so I myself heard sirens all night, but that is not unusual because of being a light sleeper. No one else said they heard anything. Parking is a little high priced , but that is common for Chicago, and their valet parking was very efficient in retrieving our SUV when we left (approximately 10 minutes from the time we called.) when we got down with our luggage it was waiting. All in all our experience and stay at Allerton was better than we had expected and we will definitely stay with them again. Kudos to the hard working staff trying to keep everyone happy...AND THANKS!!!

Room Tip: Definitely ask for an upgrade if you booked online... we were happy we did for the small extra fee...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends

Dawn,

It was our pleasure to have you and your family as our guests. We do believe our historical hotel with all its charm and character (as well as location) offer a different experience for our guests.

We recently became part of the Warwick International Hotels collection and we look forward to many upgrades in the near future.

Kindly,

Reviewed July 15, 2014

The birth of our first Grandchild was a month early, so after a hectic drive to Chicago we were lucky to get a room at the Warwick. Located just a few blocks from the hospital, it was an extremely convenient location. Right on Michigan Ave. was a huge bonus! We have stayed in several hotels in this area and the Warwick has been moved to the top of the list for convenience of location and outstanding service. We'll definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: upper floors have great views
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
GM-Warwick-Allerton, Manager at Warwick Allerton-Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2014

SamJan1972,

Congratulations on the birth of your 1st grandchild. It was our pleasure to be part of your life memory and we hope to see you again soon.

Regards,

Reviewed July 13, 2014

We chose this hotel when a Groupon was offered since it was in our desired location. We didn't have high expectations because of the great price. What a wonderful surprise! The room was completely quiet even though we were between the elevator and Michigan Avenue! The room was very spacious and well appointed. I have a new favorite Chicago hotel even without the Groupon!

2  Thank DebandTom
GM-Warwick-Allerton, General Manager at Warwick Allerton-Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2014

DebandTom,

Thank you for your kind words. We are trilled that you not only enjoyed your trip to our beautiful city but also your stay with us.

All the best,

Reviewed July 11, 2014

The good:

- Unbeatable location: Right on the Mag Mile, all attractions, dining, shopping, etc very close by, walking distance

- Most staff are friendly (read on)

- Fairly inexpensive breakfast buffet at the hotel restaurant, although nothing special, if you don't want to waste time looking for food, would recommend.

- Free computer access and printer use in business centre!

- Nicely appointed rooms

- Excellent rain head shower and bathroom is also nice overall

- Great fitness centre with quite a bit of equipment and a cool view

- Free secure luggage storage on the day of your departure

- Nice lobby and lounge area

- Free coffee in the mornings from 6 or 7 am until 11am (read on).

The "meh":

- Some rooms are pretty small ("petite" rooms). Although not as small as some reviewers might make them seem, they are on the lower end of the spectrum. I got a free upgrade to the standard room with king bed and it was quite spacious! Be sure to ask for an upgrade!

- No coffee machines in the rooms. Seems like more and more hotels in the US are taking on this "trend"; at least there's free coffee here in the mornings (on the 2nd floor).

- The lounge and restaurant is nothing special. I would actually say that it's overpriced and the servers don't really seem to care much about you. The drinks and food aren't anything to rave about.

- Beds aren't very comfortable and the blanket and sheets looked worn

- There is a big hospital (Northwestern memorial) one block away so you will hear quite a few sirens. This didn't disturb me but maybe it would be bothersome to a light sleeper. Obviously nothing the hotel can do about it, but something to keep in mind.

- Housekeeping isn't exactly stellar. Upon my arrival there was an empty water bottle on the floor and some other garbage in the corner. I could have complained but it was late, I was tired. That garbage wasn't cleaned throughout my whole stay.

- Not a huge deal but the toilet was VERY loud and flushed for what seemed to be an eternity, it was also uncomfortably low, not letting me fully embrace the moment.

- Elevators are small, very hot (complete lack of ventilation) and were often very smelly

The bad:

- Mini fridge: as in many hotels, it is weight calibrated with pop and the like inside, so you can't use it for your own stuff and you will be charged if you take drinks out of it. Knowing the rip-off prices that hotels always charge (Allerton is no exception), I never even bothered opening the fridge so you can imagine my surprise when I get a bill for 15 some $ when checking out for 2 pops which I never touched! I called front desk and the lady (possibly the rudest employee at the hotel) was somehow trying to imply that I was lying and only after arguing with her did she agree to refund the charges.

- There is a "green program" in the hotel where for every night you don't get your room cleaned, they give you a $10 credit for the lounge, restaurant or in-room service... seems simple? Not really. They will NOT discount you $10 off your bill unless you complain to them that you never got discounted $10 from your lounge or restaurant bill when you are checking out. The employee said that this is a very common occurrence so I wonder how many people just overlooked that charge without realizing their room didn't get cleaned but an extra $10 got cleaned out of their wallet...

- Car parking: Luckily I didn't have a car here, but if you do, you'll have to pay another $60 per night for parking!!!

Overall, if you can get a good rate for this hotel I would recommend it. If you got it while bidding on Priceline (like me), don't worry, it's not bad for the price you got it for. Of course if the price for the Allerton is similar to other hotels nearby on the mag mile, I probably wouldn't recommend it because there are better options around.

Room Tip: Ask for a room upgrade! Get a higher floor for less noise and probably a better view.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank YYC_WORLDWIDE

YYC_WORLDWIDE,

Thank you for sharing your comments and please accept my sincere apology for any deficiencies during your stay. Rest assured they will enable us to improve our culture of hospitality.

As I the General Manager here but a few short weeks, I can tell you that our hotel was recently purchased by Warwick Hotels International and we look forward to many improvements to our product and service in the near future.

We hope you allow us to share our true Warwick hospitality in the future.

Regards,

Reviewed July 11, 2014

The price you pay and services you get are not on same page. The room that was given to us had bad plumbing.

The location on this hotel is awesome, right in middle of everything. Valet parking is also bad, takes more than 10-15 mins to get your car so call up in advance.

So overall it was a an Ok-Ok experience.

1  Thank Indian_journey

Indian_journey,

Thank you for your review and our apologies for the delay in retrieving your car. We will share your comments with appropriate management of the garage.

We hope you enjoyed your visit to Chicago and stay with us again when you return.

Reviewed July 10, 2014 via mobile

Yes, there are lots of hotels and one may either save $5 here or there or perhaps have 10sq ft extra but our rooms were clean, boutique style and plenty of room. We had a King bed, and separate sitting area with a pullout. Although it had a rain shower, there was lots of pressure unlike other hotels that have nice but unhelpful features. My only complaint was there was no coffee in the room but in the same time I could make some I returned from the 2nd floor with a fine brew to start the day.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends

MidlifeMike,

Thank you for sharing your experience and we hope to share our new renovations in the near future.

Kindly,