“A few annoying policies”

Warwick Allerton-Chicago
Ranked #107 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed June 23, 2014

This is a beautiful older quality hotel in a fantastic location, however be prepared for some "old school" hotel policies.
-Charge $1.50 for phone calls - local or to a 1-800 number
-No free internet. You can get a "courtesy access code" but it keeps logging off - didn't work well.
-No fridge that you can use - only a mini bar with a sign saying you'll be charged $25 if you even move anything in the fridge - it has electronic sensors that can tell if anything is taken out. It's pretty frustrating to bring home 1/2 a famous Chicago Pizza from a restaurant and not be able to put it in a fridge overnight.
-LogNet TV - most hotels have scrapped this realizing people travel with tablets, smart phones or laptops who want to connect their unit to the TV with a HDMI cable. Lognet blocks that so you can't connect with your own unit.
- Free coffee is nice in the lobby but they only have tiny cups.
I see some reviews complaining about small rooms...We booked a larger Executive King corner room that was very large - loved it!

Room Tip: We booked a larger Executive King, corner room that was very large - loved it!
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HaroldonVacation
GM-Warwick-Allerton, General Manager at Warwick Allerton-Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2014

HaroldonVacation,

Thank you for sharing your comments. Having recently been purchased by Warwick Hotels International, we are in the process of many product and service upgrades to address the very areas you mentioned such as high speed internet and refrigerators.

We hope that in the future you will allow us the opportunity to redeem ourselves with the true hospitality Warwick Hotels are known for.

Warwick Allerton Hotel Chicago

Write a ReviewReviews (1,808)

Reviewed June 23, 2014

This is a very basic old hotel in a great location. But the sacrifices are many. Start with the tiny rooms and bathrooms, with ragged dirty carpet. Elevators are small and very slow. Many times we had to wait because all the down elevators were full. We were on the 17th floor of a 23 floors hotel. The lobby is one flight up from the street (no stairs evident) and the bellmen are scarce and from we observed very slow. All parking is expensive in Chicago but $60 per night is very high. Kudos to John the afternoon doorman for getting a few cabs during a rainstorm and providing accurate information about parking and directions. Many people complain about the hotel, but at a wedding block rate of $169/night plus tax and fees, ,it could be a lot worse.

Room Tip: Get a high room away from the street, There are sirens all night due to the proximity of the med cen...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Johnsotr

Johnsotr,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. You are correct in noting that our rooms are different from some modern hotels. As a historic landmark in Chicago we offer a unique experience.

Our sincere apology for the service you experienced as we continue to look to improve our product and service having been recently purchased by Warwick International Hotels.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

Location location location ! Unfortunately those are the only three things about it. The seemed like favors by the hotel staff. Our stay started with a small room with a view of the air conditioning duct ( A certain Mr. L told us that most of the rooms were taken ) We did move to a much better room the following morning, but the extra bed took 4 phone call reminders and one hour to show up.
Probably the worst hotel service I've been out through

Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Aniket D

Aniket D,

Thank you for taking the time to write regarding your recent visit to the Warwick Allerton Hotel Chicago.

On behalf of the staff and management of the Warwick Allerton Chicago, please accept my sincere apology for the service deficiencies you experienced during your stay.

We will address the matter with appropriate personnel to ensure our future guests do not encounter the less than stellar service levels you experienced.

Having just been recently purchased by the Warwick collection, we are planning many improvements to the property in both product and service. We truly hope one day you will return to our hotel and allow us to display the type of service for which the Warwick Collection of hotels are known.

Rest assured your comments will enable us to improve our culture of hospitality.

Reviewed June 20, 2014

This hotel is in a great location, right by all the shops you need.
What I didn't like about it was the very small rooms. The layout doesn't work and made me feel a bit claustrophobic. The lifts are very slow so you have to allow extra time to get downstairs.
Despite this, the staff are very friendly and the convenience of all the shops on your doorstep is great.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business

melinanm,

Great to hear you enjoyed your visit to Chicago and thank you for your comments. Our historic hotel has many uniquely sized rooms and are different from some modern hotels. You are correct that our lifts are not up to speed and rest assured we are currently working on a permanent solution.

We hope to see you again when you visit Chicago.

Kindly,

Reviewed June 18, 2014

We stayed at the Allerton for a family wedding in June. Overall, the hotel was clean and comfortable. It is an older, historic hotel, so room size and configuration is according to age and should be a consideration for those who prefer contemporary accommodation. Pros: Excellent location close to shopping and attractions; 'old hotel' charm; and a reasonable price point. Cons: Breakfast in the hotel was of less than expected quality; reservation adjustments with the central Warwick staff was a nightmare and one of the worst customer service experiences I've had in a long time. Note: I called the hotel onsite staff directly during business hours and they were quickly able to address my request. Perhaps they could teach the central team about customer service! If you're looking for a central, historic, moderately priced hotel, the Allerton is a great option.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Stacey A
GM-Warwick-Allerton, General Manager at Warwick Allerton-Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2014

Stacey A,

Thank you for taking the time to write regarding your recent visit.

On behalf of the staff and management of the Warwick Allerton Hotel Chicago, please accept my sincere apology for the customer service deficiencies you encountered. We will address the matter with appropriate personnel.

Rest assured, your comments will enable us to improve our culture of hospitality.

Reviewed June 18, 2014

I sooo wanted to like this hotel and give it a great review but my review will be so-so. All of the reviews I read prior to my stay (good and bad) were both spot on. First with the good. The location is fantastic!! It's right in the middle of the Magnificent Mile adjacent to the Apple Store. It's about 4 blocks from the Red-line (Chicago Ave) and bus stops are literally feet away. Secondly, the service was pleasant. Every staff member I spoke with was very nice and helpful. I got hotel through Hotwire so it was a blind buy. I didn't "choose" The Allerton. I was assigned a "petite classic" room which I didn't know until I arrived. I was told at the desk that the petite came with a full-size bed. The front desk person saw that I would be staying 6 nights and immediately offered to upgrade me to a room with a King size bed, Yayyy!!!. Or she saw I was 260 lbs :-) She was very nice.

Now to the room and the "opportunities for improvement". I'm not sure what the criteria is for grading hotels, but nothing felt 4-star to me except the location. The mattress felt cheap and was unforgiving. I'm so used to hotel beds being comfortable. Some of my pillow cases and sheets had holes in them. The lamp on my nightstand had been damaged and was leaning significantly. Some of the wallpaper hadn't been installed correctly and was crooked. There was damage to shower floor (a brown spot/gash) which made it look dirty. The bathroom was very small but it was just me so no big deal. One day I found a clump of someone's hair in one of my towels!! I tipped $5/day so they could at least check towels for clumps of hair! I literally shrieked when i saw it. I think the hotel room was worth what I paid for it, $129/night. Didn't feel I got a steal.

But no regrets! It was something I could afford in a great location. Would I recommend? That depends. Yes, if you're strapped for cash like I was and can get a good price. No, if you're expecting a 4-star experience. Three things would have really changed my mood about this place (no hair in towel, no brown spot in shower and no holes in linens).

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Clark R

Clark R,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

My sincere apology for the service deficiencies you experienced during your stay. We have addressed the matter with appropriate personnel.

I would also like to share with you that Warwick International Hotels recently purchased the hotel and many improvements are coming soon, such as all new mattresses and linen. Larger, more in-depth changes are also in progress so the Warwick Allerton will be returning to it's 4 star status.

Kindly,

Reviewed June 17, 2014

Stayed there for a couple of days on personal work. The hotel is clean and the staff are polite. It is very close to many businesses and all the shopping on the magnificent mile and is within walking distance everywhere. I parked at a public garage next block.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Ram P

vicdude333,

It was our pleasure to have you and your family as our guest and look forward to your return.

All the best,