“Good value...but noise issues”

Holiday Inn Chicago Downtown
Ranked #120 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I stayed in mid-May while attending the National Restaurant Show. The room was clean, the bed was nice and comfy, and the staff was very friendly from front desk to housekeeping (except for restaurant staff). The location wasn't as great as I thought it would be, but it was a quick $10 cab ride to get anywhere we needed. So for the price of the room and ease of getting around, this hotel worked for this particular trip. The biggest issue was the outside noise since this hotel is right next to the highway. If it hadn't been for the ear plugs they provided in every room complimentary, there's no way I would have been able to sleep during this trip. The highway noise is constant all night long. But with the ear plugs they thankfully provided, I was able to sleep all night with little disturbances. I did have an issue with their restaurant - service was entirely too slow and unfriendly and the cost is too high for what is provided with their buffet and level of unprofessional service. I only breakfast there the first morning and didn't go back because of this.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Amber S
HIHS-Manager, Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2013

Dear Amber S,

Thank you for leaving a review and staying with the Holiday Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown during the National Restaurant Show. We are happy to know that the ear plugs assisted with a good night's rest and that you received excellent service from the front desk and housekeeping staff. We apologize for the experience you had with the restaurant buffet and staff. We are in the process of retraining and have shared your comments with the team.

Thank you for staying with us and look forward to welcoming you back.

Holiday Inn & Suites Management Team

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Hotel was nothing spectacular, but we had no complaints. Booked with the park for a penny package so that was a plus. Room was clean and bed was very comfy. Staff was friendly. Location was good in my opinion, only a $10 cab fare to get anywhere we wanted to go. Would stay here again if we ever have the cash to go back to Chicago!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear 934traveler934 ,

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor regarding your stay at the Holiday Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown. We are happy you enjoyed the Park for a Penny Package, comfortable room, friendly staff, location and taxi ride to your destination.

Thank you for staying with us and look forward to welcoming you back!

Holiday Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown Management Team

Reviewed July 1, 2013

Older but clean hotel. Friendly staff. Even though I was charged for breakfast when I had the voucher (priority club) for a free breakfast, the waitress put voucher in pocket and acted like she did'nt take it when it was time to pay. The charge appeared on our credit card and they are supposed to be refunding it . Pool is really small. Rooms are just average. In my opinion the location is not good. There is nothing close by to walk too. It is close to Union Station but far walk to any stores or resturants. I would much prefer to stay closer to the loop.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Nikkir98

Dear Nikkir98 ,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay and thank you for being a loyal IHG Rewards Club Member. We are happy to know you took advantage of the hotel's local extra with the breakfast coupon but apologized that the staff charged your credit card in error. We have sent you an offline message to gather more information to ensure you receive the credit you were promised.

Adrienne E.
HIHS

Reviewed June 30, 2013

I'm a Priority Club member and have stayed at many Holiday Inns. This one was old, run down, and dreary. On the plus side, the staff were nice and helpful. Everything seemed clean enough. The breakfast wasn't good. I'd stay again if it was my only choice--it's not like it was awful--but it just wasn't nice.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
HIHS-Manager, Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Dear annaboat,

Thank you for your candid feedback about your stay and thank you for being a member of IHG Rewards Club. We apologize that your breakfast and dreary hotel experience was not up to standard. We are happy to know that you encountered our nice and helpful staff while relaxing in our clean room. We hope that you would give us another opportunity in the near future as we would love to have you as our guest. Also, we have sent an offline message to you.

Hotel Management Team

Reviewed June 23, 2013

My trip was at the end of May, but I'm just getting around to writing this review. If you are simply looking for a clean room with a convenient location to see the city at a good price, I recommend this hotel! And FYI, I am pretty particular about cleanliness! The staff was super friendly and they frequently inquired about our comfort and satisfaction with our hotel room. The subway stop was a 3 minute walk from our hotel- it couldn't be closer! This was a major plus, because it saved us a good chunk of change, since we were able to take the subway from O'Hare airport straight to the hotel, instead of paying for a cab or shuttle. I was worried that I would have to drag my suitcase several blocks to the hotel, but it was a breeze, since the subway stop was so close to the hotel! The only issue was that the up-escalator for the subway was broken, so we had to carry the 2 suitcases up 3 flights of stairs. Luckily, my husband was up to the task, because I wouldn't be able to do it. Hopefully the escalator gets fixed soon; you can call the hotel desk and ask the staff for the status. (The staff at the hotel desk had warned me about the broken escalator when I called them about transportation options before my trip.) The hotel is a short subway trip to Millenium Park, so very conveniently located. It's not a fancy hotel, but it is clean, has a great location and is reasonably priced! I would stay here again, for any future trips to Chicago.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank gr33ntea
HIHS-Manager, Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Dear gr33ntea,

Thank you for leaving a review about your stay experience at the Holiday Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown. We are excited to know that you were able to travel to and from the hotel on public transportation. As you mentioned, you saved a chunk of change by utilizing the Chicago's Transit system. We are sorry that the escalator was not working but that you were prepared for that minor issue. Also, we are pleased to know that you received great service, clean and comfortable accommodations and that you would stay here again.

Thank you once again for allowing the Holiday Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown the opportunity to have Mr. & Mrs. gr33ntea as our guests.

Best Regards,

Holiday Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown Management

Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

After staying here three days, the second day my head started to itch and when we got home later that week we all found out that we had gotten head lice. Awesome. :| There was also terrible terrible service especially in the downstairs breakfast restaurant. We waited 20 minutes or more to get our orders taken. Waiter even confronted us about our "complaint". It was stupid.

1  Thank paloojan
HIHS-Manager, Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Dear paloojan,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and please accept our apologies for you experienced. We would like to investigate this further and have sent a private message to you to gather more information.

Please know that we take all claims seriously and will await your response.

Adrienne
Hotel Management Team

Reviewed June 14, 2013

Very close to Union Station and the Clinton Station-Blue Line. I had an Amtrak connection and needed a quick place to say. Great hotel, quiet, clean, great staff, no problems.
NOTE: If you walk from Union Station, when going under the bridge use the sidewalk on the left (right when going back to Union Station). There is a homeless camp just above the sidewalk under the bridge plus the sidewalk is wider.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ScottC4746

Dear ScottC4746,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review about your stay at the Holiday Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown. We are happy to know that you were able to find the hotel without any problems from the Clinton Station of the Blue Line and Amtrak via Union Station. We are pleased to know that you were able to enjoy a quiet, clean, friendly place, with no issues at our hotel.

Thank you once again and look forward to your return visit in the near future.

Best Regards,