“Underestimated”

Ranked #117 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
“Underestimated”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

When booking a one night stay with this hotel I booked with location being my primary concern. I was a little hesitant after making the booking that maybe I should have looked into a different hotel.. I underestimated the staff at the Downtown Holiday Inn location.

From the moment we walked through the door we couldn't have asked for a nicer greeting from all members of the staff behind the counter. The staff was diligent and thorough in providing all information that we may need during our stay. After checking out the room which was very clean we took a trip to the bar in the retaurant. The staff there talked with us as we were friends and not guests. The staff member provided options of things to do in the city and even routes to get around from different venues.

The following day when we made our departure we also received top notch service while we were checking out. The valet had a car parked right outside the door and even help carry one of our bags.

**After leaving the hotel I realized that I had left a laptop computer at the hotel. I called on my way home which is about 5 hours from Chicago and left a message for the house keeping department. The following day i received two calls from that department to try to help me recover my computer. Eventually I spoke with Rob and he was able to completely top off my stay by providing exceptional service to make sure I could retrieve such a valuable item.

Next time time I need a place to stay in Chicago I'll be booking at the Holiday Inn and Suites Downtown!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Wade L
TRrichards, Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago Downtown, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear Wade L,

We thank you for taking the time to leave a review about the Holiday Inn Suites Chicago Downtown. You comments have been shared with the staff as well as the management team. We value all of our guests and want you to know, you deserve the best. Wade L, we would love to have you as our guest whenever you visit Chicago.

Thank you once again for staying with us and for leaving a review about your experience.

AE-Hotel Staff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
East Lansing, MI
Reviewed January 26, 2013

The room was clean and more than acceptable, however here was a lot of highway noise. The flaw with this location was the fact that pets were allowed in the hotel. My neighbor had a barking dog which the owners left unattended at night and I was forced to call the front desk. The front desk could not do anything because the owners of the dog were not in their room and no where to be found. I did not get any sleep with the howling dog. If there were no dogs allowed in the hotel, I believe I could have had a peaceful nights rest. I am glad I do not have an allergy to pets.
The location of the hotel was in a "shady" area and I did not feel safe walking at night.

Even after complaining to Holiday Inn directly, I was promised some sort of contact form the hotel's management staff, which still has not happened. I believe it's just another way of poor customer service

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Bkbuzz
TRrichards, Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago Downtown, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Bkbuzz,

Our goal is to provide excellent service as well as wanting our guests to return again and again. Most importantly, we just emailed you to the email address that was attached to your profile. Please accept our apologies once again.

davenport
Reviewed January 26, 2013

the stay was ok. I was happy to see that prority members got discounts, for food or 5 dollars off parking or 250 bonus points. .I like that parts.i hate i didnt have a microwave to warm my food.Hotel needs to purchases new pillow.Top lock didnt lock, being a single woman didnt like that.Staff was very very friendly. overall the stay was ok.I would stay again if i couldnt book at the Marriot hotel

Room Tip: Dont expected anything fancy
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Dear denise g,

We apologize about the lock to your room but are grateful that you will give us a try in the near future. We wish to speak to you offline and will be sending a private message.

Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I got a room in this hotel via priceline and got a great deal. Staff was helpful and hotel was clean. It is in a good safe location. Pizzeria on site, free wifi and Clinton Train Station on blue line is right next to the hotel. Parking was $20/nite which in all reality, for the location, is quite inexpensive. I honestly do not have anything negative to say about the hotel. Don't expect a 7 star hotel because it is not, but it's not a roach motel. its an average hotel but the price, location and cleanliness make it worth staying here. Very close to millenium park. I would def stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank WilsonSantiago85
Dear WilsonSantiago85,

We are most grateful that you took the time to leave a review about our hotel after returning home. The staff at the Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Chicago thank you and would love to have you as our guest in the near future.

Best Regards,

Hartford, Wisconsin
Reviewed January 23, 2013

After reading the previous reviews I didnt know what to expect. When we got there I was happy to see that priority club members got a parking discount. I also thought the staff was extremely friendly. Beds are not upgraded to pillow top yet and the building over all is a bit outdated. Food places on the street are only open till 9:00 for the most part and hotel food maybe 10 or 11pm. In fact the whole town shuts down at like 8:30pm. Overall not a bad experience for the price.

Room Tip: Dont expect to find anything to eat at 12:00am. BP gas station had some donuts and there is a Dunkin...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
TRrichards, Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago Downtown, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear Todd K,

We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review about our hotel. It's nice to know that you read reviews prior to your arrival and that we met your expectations. I am sorry that things closed a little early and that the bedding was not as plush.

We welcome you back as our guest in the near future.

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Hotel was OK. The staff was friendly and helpful. Travelled for business and not sure I would stay at this hotel again due to location. It was nice that they had a restaurant in the hotel to grab a bite to eat.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Happy140,

We would love to have you back as our guest whenever you visit our Great City of Chicago.

Thank you Happy140 for taking the time to review our hotel.

Kindest Regards,

Cookeville, Tennessee
Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here one night in June for a Cubs game. The staff was very friendly and the hotel is right next to the blue line. Enjoyed our stay, no complains, clean room, good service, and a nice view of the Willis Tower.

• Stayed June 2012
TRrichards, Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago Downtown, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear Matthew0027,

We were very happy to read your review about our hotel. The Holiday Inn Hotel and Suites Chicago Downtown sends a big "Thank You" from Chicago to Tennessee. We welcome you back to our hotel whenever you are visiting Chicago and the Cubs.