“Great Staff”

Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast
Ranked #121 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
“Great Staff”
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Best place ever. Staff is very helpful. Close to all bars and restaurants. Clean and comfortable room, free WIFI. Great room service. Thanks Anderw for removing the bible from my room.
Thanks
Jelena 601

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank jelena k
Destini W, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast, responded to this review, March 23, 2014
Jelena,

We loved your review and can't thank you enough for sharing your comments!! You made our day!! Please come back and see us again soon!! May we suggest you try some of our other Hotel Indigo locations as well, we're convinced you'll fall in love with our brand and become a loyal Hotel Indigo guest.

Happy travels, Jelena!!

Destini

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Thai first
Midlothian
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Hotel Indigo is not only the biggest bang for your buck in value, fabulously located, but the service here is by far superior! The front desk professionals, Andrew, Lissa, and Chris are so accommodating, friendly, and by far simply some of the best. It was only day two of my stay that all three knew me on a first name basis and this is a pretty busy hotel. My rating just for the service alone is 5 stars....The food is great and the have a great little bar in the front area facing Dearborn St. The rooms are quaint and you get almost a bed & breakfast feel. Feels like home with a touch of elegance. Truely one of my favorite hotels in downtown Chicago!!!! You will not be disappointed!

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank TMG80
TMG80,

Thank you for sharing your feedback!! I apologize for my delay in responding but want to thank you for taking the time to complete a review. I don't think people realize how much we look forward to receiving feedback, any feedback is a gift but your wonderful comments sure made our day!!

We can't wait to have you as our guest again soon and hope you'll share your experience with your family and friends!!

All the best,

Dubuque, Iowa
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Thanks to Mother Nature, our trip to NYC was cancelled (after driving from Iowa to catch our flight from Chicago). We decided to stay in the city for a couple days and found Hotel Indigo online. What a special place. The bright colors, murals, super-friendly staff, and well-appointed rooms made for a great stay. Valet parking right next door was convenient and easy and we were able to check in early. The location on Dearborn (just off Division) was great and many things were walkable--some fantastic restaurants just steps away. We were a bit nervous about the hotel being dog-friendly (I have a love/hate relationship with "pet-friendly" places--we love dogs, but I am always concerned of the possibility of pet-odor), but the only hint of dogs was the canister of dog food and a large bowl of water in the lobby. So sweet! Our room was adorable with an amazingly comfy king-sized bed, Keurig coffeemaker, large screen TV, CD player, and large shower. We upgraded our stay with breakfast (only $10 for both of us) and were able to choose from the menu. Delicious! There is a great bar in the lobby. My only regret is that we did not have more time to try the restaurant (beyond breakfast), the fitness center, or the spa. But we will definitely be back. The best part of our stay was the friendliness of the staff. Thanks, Hotel Indigo!

Room Tip: Our room was on the west side, north corner--we had no problems with sounds from the hallway or othe...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Miss-elaine-eous89
Miss-elaine-eous89,

We're sorry to hear you missed your trip to NYC, but we're delighted you enjoyed your stay with us!! Chicago has so much to offer, and while I'm sure it was somewhat disappointing to have Mother Nature "mess" with your original plans, we like to believe everything happens for a reason. Now, you know just where to stay when you decide to visit Chicago!!

We can't wait for your next visit and will order better weather for you next time!! We can't guarantee Mother Nature will deliver, but we'll be glad to put in the request for you!!

Safe and happy travels,

Reviewed February 14, 2014 via mobile

Hotel indigo is located in a great part of Chicago. The only problem is sound, not the ones from outside... The walls are paper thin.

There is plenty to see and do within walking distance. My favorite is the zoo located just north of the hotel in Lincoln Park.

Stayed February 2014
2 Thank CatchTheGerm
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
Dear CatchTheGerm,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments online. It is very nice to know that you liked our location. However, please accept our deepest apologies for the issues you had encountered with the noise. I understand the discomfort this caused you. Rest assured that this matter will be looked into. Again, I do apologize and regret that this impacted your experience at our hotel.

Karen G.
Tampa, FL & worldwide
Reviewed February 14, 2014

This was my third stay at Hotel Indigo. The first stay we had was very disappointing, but I decided to give the hotel another try. The second stay was better, so I decided to give this hotel another try. There were some good and bad experiences with our stay. I did appreciate the accomodation of an early check. At check in I was only given one breakfast coupon, this was partially my mistake because I accidently put 1 person on the reservation. It was obvious that my partner was with me, yet when I requested the second coupon I was given attitude and hassle by the front desk clerk. We did a quick bag drop and then I had to get to a meeting downtown. Upon getting back to the hotel around 5 pm I was exhausted and just wanted to sleep. Before even laying on the bed I noticed it seemed to be uneven and had a very large slop to it. When I laid on the bed it because even more obvious that the bed was broken. I called down to the front desk and they were kind enough to offer to move me to another room. Chris did bring the keys up and offered to help move my bags. We gathered our things, but the room we were moved to was considerably smaller than the room I had booked and paid for. He tried to say that that was all they had available for the night and we could stay in our current room with the broken bed or take the smaller room. So I pulled out my laptop and saw that they still had rooms available. Chris tried to cover and say he thought we wanted to stay on the same floor, which was not the issue at all. So while we were in our original room #1111 - the engineer came up to take a look at the bed and he said that it was missing one of the supports. At this point I was getting ready to cancel my stay and look for another hotel when they did offer to move us to another room. The room change and upgrade to a suite was appreciated. This hotel has some serious maintenence issues, of the 3 phones in the suite, only 1 of the phones in the living area works. Also, one of the lightbulbs on a side table was burned out and the tea or coffee made tastes like the coffee maker was cleaned with bleach. The next morning breakfast was included in the rate that we booked so I called and placed an order for room service. My partner and I both ordered the same thing, the BLT with a side of potatoes, a bottle of water and fruit. About 10 minutes after the order was placed room service called to say that our coupons could only be used by coming down to the restaurant or I had to pay for delivery fee. I advised the staff member that I would happlily pay the fee, but was on time constraints and waiting for my breakfast to arrive. Ten minutes later I get a second call saying that I must have cash to pay the gratuity. I advised her that would not be a problem. Room service arrived with two people bringing it up, one to collect funds and the other carrying the tray. I gave her the money and she stood there and asked for a tip. I was already paying 19.5% gratuity!!!! This is the second person at this hotel to ask for a tip, that is completely uncalled for. Upon opening up our food they placed the sandwhichs on individual plates and the potatoes were all on one plate instead of with each sandwhich, the same thing was done with the fruit, which looked and tasted like it had been sitting cut up for a few days. When the order was placed I asked for extra ketchup and mayo, which when it arrived there were two small bottles of each. My partner went to open his mayo and it had already been opened - the seal was broken and the mayo was half gone!!! This happened last time with the ketchup (which also had a layer of mold in it). My question is are they taking the mayo and ketchup off of the tables or room service trays and reusing them? If this is what comes up to the room, what is going on in the kitchen? It made us both sick to think of, we couldn't even eat the breakfast. I have to say that I had reserved my next trip at the Indigo and that reservation has now been canceled, it will take a lot for me to ever consider staying at this property or any Hotel Indigo again. As a Platinum member that spends more nights in hotels than in my own home due to business, I am seriously considering changing my loyalty to a hotel that has better care for cleanliness and customer service.

Room Tip: As for a room facing Dearborn or a room at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank StehmanPhotography
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast, responded to this review, March 1, 2014
Dear StehmanPhotography,

Pam G
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Let me just list some of the things that I found wrong inside my room:

Tears in the wallpaper
Dirty handprints on the painted wall
Greasy looking stains on the bench at the foot of the bed
Constant clicking noise from heater
Scratchy and uncomfortable bedding
Squeaky bed
Unused facetowel in bathroom covered in brown stains, (hopefully makeup?)

Add this to the odd smell in the lobby that another guest described as a "dirty diaper smell" and the lack of hospitality from several (but not all!) employees, and I would say stay somewhere else.

The area is a great area and the building itself is awesome. With the help of a serious interior designer and some more maintenance, this hotel could be the best. Unfortunately, the garish decor misses the mark and the cleanliness leaves a lot to be desired.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank marlowegraves
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Dear marlowegraves,

Ben J
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed February 6, 2014 via mobile

This place was really nice. The rooms were very unique and the service was great. Nearby parking was extremely over priced so look for a deal on that. This hotel's location is great. Very close to the lake as well as dining and bars. It's also a hop skip and a jump to catch transit. Overall a very nice place.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Justin,

Thank you for your great review!! We agree, our hotel is unique and our location is second to none!! As for the parking, we know parking downtown Chicago can surprise almost anyone if you are not familar with the parking charges. Our hotel does not own the garage next door but the convenience is worth the price for most guests. However, please keep an eye out for our Parking Packages, we're certain you'll find a pacakge that will suit your needs and save you money for more important activities in our fine city.

Please come back and see us again soon!!