“Not impressed”

Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast
Ranked #124 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Let me just list some of the things that I found wrong inside my room:

Tears in the wallpaper
Dirty handprints on the painted wall
Greasy looking stains on the bench at the foot of the bed
Constant clicking noise from heater
Scratchy and uncomfortable bedding
Squeaky bed
Unused facetowel in bathroom covered in brown stains, (hopefully makeup?)

Add this to the odd smell in the lobby that another guest described as a "dirty diaper smell" and the lack of hospitality from several (but not all!) employees, and I would say stay somewhere else.

The area is a great area and the building itself is awesome. With the help of a serious interior designer and some more maintenance, this hotel could be the best. Unfortunately, the garish decor misses the mark and the cleanliness leaves a lot to be desired.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank marlowegraves
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Dear marlowegraves,

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare

There are newer reviews for Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast

Reviewed February 6, 2014 via mobile

This place was really nice. The rooms were very unique and the service was great. Nearby parking was extremely over priced so look for a deal on that. This hotel's location is great. Very close to the lake as well as dining and bars. It's also a hop skip and a jump to catch transit. Overall a very nice place.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Destini W, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2014

Justin,

Thank you for your great review!! We agree, our hotel is unique and our location is second to none!! As for the parking, we know parking downtown Chicago can surprise almost anyone if you are not familar with the parking charges. Our hotel does not own the garage next door but the convenience is worth the price for most guests. However, please keep an eye out for our Parking Packages, we're certain you'll find a pacakge that will suit your needs and save you money for more important activities in our fine city.

Please come back and see us again soon!!

Reviewed February 5, 2014

Went for an overnight with BFF for my birthday on the day after Christmas (Dec 26, 2013). We arrived early, but the staff let us drop off our luggage so that we could explore the area before our check in at 4:00 p.m. The room was an upgrade that I requested when booking (King bed with fireplace) because my childhood best friend & I planned on enjoying a glass of wine and catching up that evening without kids/spouses to interrupt. Loved the ambiance of the hotel and our room. We were on the 14th floor so the elevator ride took a bit. Our room was bright and clean and just what we expected. The bedding was perfect... European down perfection and very cozy. Bathroom is smallish, but were staying only one night so it wasn't a big deal. Shower head/wand could be better. Strange position, but it worked fine. My only complaint were the rude and noisy guests/staff up and down the hallway at 4:00 a.m. If they could improve the sound coming from under the door, that would be a huge improvement as I doubt we were the only guests awakened by their loud conversation. We brought the train in and didn't need parking, but its $$ everywhere in Chicago which is why we seldom drive. Read the small print people...

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

Daniele,

Thank you for sharing your experience and we are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us!! We think our fireplace rooms are perfect for the winter we've had this year. You could not have made a better choice!!

Please come back and see us again soon!! And thanks for sharing the tip about parking, obviously you're not a new traveler to Chicago!! We'll watch out for your next reservation, until then please be sure to enjoy some of our other Hotel Indigo locations. We're confident you'll fall in love and become a loyal Hotel Indigo guest.

Safe and happy travels to you and your best friend,

Reviewed February 3, 2014

On Dearborn St just a little north of the craziness of Division is a charming tropical plantation boutique hotel. The staff is friendly, the rooms immaculate and HUGE!!!! --some even have fireplaces!! A cute bar and restaurant, room service, flat screen TV's ---and all of Chicago before you !!! Love this place!!! --and cheerfully COLORFUL--not a beige anything to dull the mood.

Room Tip: ask for a fireplace
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed January 30, 2014

Suzie T.
Indianapolis, IN
4/30/2013

We loved this place! - and the 'park for a penny a day' deal is what brought on the 5 stars! The parking prices at many places here will break you, and are such a rip off! They falsly advertise a price, (you're thinking, I could probably do that even though you know it doesn't include tax), then they add 16% tax and $35-50 a day parking! Yikes! I know, that's big city, take it or leave it. -but I continued to shop around and it paid off!

We were going to visit the Windy City for 4 days and wanted to drive around and check out some of the ethnic eats. I searched around alot to make the right decision on where to stay. We have always come at Christmas-time with family, split the cost and stayed on the Mag Mile. We (2 of us) wanted to discover new places this time. We wanted to be on the Northside because we had tickets to a great Blues gig at Rosa's (great lil dive bar for fantastic blues artists). When I discovered Hotel Indigo, it looked like our cup of tea. It didn't dissappoint!

Pros: Comfy beds, Hardwood floors that can be cleaned daily instead of old carpet that hides who knows what, Artsy boutique atmosphere w/our favorite theme (ocean), very friendly staff that accommodated 'everything' we asked (story: I called ahead a couple of times to verify what we wanted and they thanked me saying the calls also helped them), room cleaned daily with nice fluffy towels, heating and cooling worked well, unpretentious place that felt classy but casual, extremely easy check-in and check-out w/a great friendly guy that took all our bags (thanks, my hubster has a bad back), No smoking anymore. Most of all!!! -a great parking deal. Hope they offer it again when we come back next time!

Cons: (few and far between) The doors slammed shut hard but we were very conscientous (on the 8th floor), & evidently our whole floor was because it was never a prob. The TV's are old and should be updated, but who comes to Chicago to watch it. All the rooms are different, but the ones w/o drawers might put a few more hook racks around (like by the door for coats & by the bed on each side). The filter on the air conditioner needed cleaning (but it was early spring, maybe that's done all at one time after we left). The shower curtain in the handicapped room should be longer and wider to keep the H2o from getting out.
These are minor in comparison to everything else.

This place is centrally located whether you want to do Northside, Mag Mile etc. It is located in a 'beautiful neighborhood' where we felt very safe at all times. We never ate or drank here because our quest was to eat at certain pre-picked places, so we can't review that. I waffled whether to review because I was selfish and didn't want there to be no room next visit. ha
We will definitely be back when we can save our pennies for a Chicago visit!!

Room Tip: --not much view for us, but OK because the handicap room was perfect! I heard that the doors slam h...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sue1tay2lor3
Reviewed January 24, 2014

Came here to crash after a concert. Loved the decor of the rooms and didn't even feel like I was in chicago. It's very relaxing. Had an excellent stay. Only had one problem- no hair dryer in the room i was staying in.. and my view was a view of the fire escape, but not every room has a view like that.. I hope.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Destini W, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2014

Your review made me giggle!! You are correct, not all our rooms have a view of the fire escape!! It was that particular comment that made me laugh. I do thank you for taking the time to complete a review and sincerely apologize you did not have a hair dryer in your room. I hope...we delivered one quickly upon request.

Please keep us in mind should you be attending future concerts in the City. We're always happy to provide a place to crash and hope you'll be visiting us again soon!!

All the best for a year of great concerts and happy travels,

Reviewed January 24, 2014

Chicago has so many interesting, inviting, welcoming hotels, where you’ll enjoy your stay and return home with great memories.

Hotel Indigo is **not** one of those places. I’d considered staying here in the past but had doubts, then recently decided to go ahead and give it a try. I so regret that choice.

Two main problems.

One, the hotel is, frankly, kind of run down. In the (super small) room I was assigned, the furniture was stained, the laminate floor was peeling up, the wallpaper was gashed, and the shower was moldy. There is some kind of overpowering chemical cleaning smell throughout, especially in the lobby but also in the room. And it gets better! While I was there, the hotel had placed plastic sheeting across the entrance and several plastic tubes across the lobby ceiling, because there had been a flood on the second floor. They told me something about “mold.”

Second, and actually more important to me, is the staff’s apparent lack of understanding of (or perhaps disinterest in) the basic concept of hospitality. I realize this can be subjective, and the details of several incidents are long and boring for here, but…I travel a fair amount, am a consistently conscientious guest, and have a pretty intelligent sense of when I’m being treated respectfully and when I’m not. The Hotel Indigo staff really seems to begrudge its role of working to help guests enjoy the time there. It does leave an impression, not just for this location but for the brand overall.

I know my review is harsh. Generally on principle, I don’t do bad reviews, only good ones, and generally not for chains, only independent places. But this particular trip will always feel ruined for me, **solely** because of my experience at this hotel. If I can help someone else avoid that, then my decision to write and submit this review will have been worthwhile.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank annie_malone

Thank you for your review and feedback. We value all our feedback and will ensure we share your comments with our entire Team as we work to improve our overall guest experience. We do apologize for the inconvenience as we are having some repair work done in our Lobby and 2nd Floor. Please rest assured we are diligently working to ensure the hotel is well maintained and as up to date as possible. We understand that this work can be somewhat unattractive during the actual process but hope our guests will find the finished product work worth it.

We hope you will reconsider using our hotel and our Brand, as I can assure you, the primary goal is to create a unique guest experience.

Thank you again for your valued feedback,