“Hidden Gem in the Heart of Chicago”

Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast
Ranked #119 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
Chicago, Illinois
“Hidden Gem in the Heart of Chicago”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

On Dearborn St just a little north of the craziness of Division is a charming tropical plantation boutique hotel. The staff is friendly, the rooms immaculate and HUGE!!!! --some even have fireplaces!! A cute bar and restaurant, room service, flat screen TV's ---and all of Chicago before you !!! Love this place!!! --and cheerfully COLORFUL--not a beige anything to dull the mood.

Room Tip: ask for a fireplace
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
  • Thai first
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed January 30, 2014

Suzie T.
Indianapolis, IN
4/30/2013

We loved this place! - and the 'park for a penny a day' deal is what brought on the 5 stars! The parking prices at many places here will break you, and are such a rip off! They falsly advertise a price, (you're thinking, I could probably do that even though you know it doesn't include tax), then they add 16% tax and $35-50 a day parking! Yikes! I know, that's big city, take it or leave it. -but I continued to shop around and it paid off!

We were going to visit the Windy City for 4 days and wanted to drive around and check out some of the ethnic eats. I searched around alot to make the right decision on where to stay. We have always come at Christmas-time with family, split the cost and stayed on the Mag Mile. We (2 of us) wanted to discover new places this time. We wanted to be on the Northside because we had tickets to a great Blues gig at Rosa's (great lil dive bar for fantastic blues artists). When I discovered Hotel Indigo, it looked like our cup of tea. It didn't dissappoint!

Pros: Comfy beds, Hardwood floors that can be cleaned daily instead of old carpet that hides who knows what, Artsy boutique atmosphere w/our favorite theme (ocean), very friendly staff that accommodated 'everything' we asked (story: I called ahead a couple of times to verify what we wanted and they thanked me saying the calls also helped them), room cleaned daily with nice fluffy towels, heating and cooling worked well, unpretentious place that felt classy but casual, extremely easy check-in and check-out w/a great friendly guy that took all our bags (thanks, my hubster has a bad back), No smoking anymore. Most of all!!! -a great parking deal. Hope they offer it again when we come back next time!

Cons: (few and far between) The doors slammed shut hard but we were very conscientous (on the 8th floor), & evidently our whole floor was because it was never a prob. The TV's are old and should be updated, but who comes to Chicago to watch it. All the rooms are different, but the ones w/o drawers might put a few more hook racks around (like by the door for coats & by the bed on each side). The filter on the air conditioner needed cleaning (but it was early spring, maybe that's done all at one time after we left). The shower curtain in the handicapped room should be longer and wider to keep the H2o from getting out.
These are minor in comparison to everything else.

This place is centrally located whether you want to do Northside, Mag Mile etc. It is located in a 'beautiful neighborhood' where we felt very safe at all times. We never ate or drank here because our quest was to eat at certain pre-picked places, so we can't review that. I waffled whether to review because I was selfish and didn't want there to be no room next visit. ha
We will definitely be back when we can save our pennies for a Chicago visit!!

Room Tip: --not much view for us, but OK because the handicap room was perfect! I heard that the doors slam h...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sue1tay2lor3
Lake Zurich, Illinois
Reviewed January 24, 2014

Came here to crash after a concert. Loved the decor of the rooms and didn't even feel like I was in chicago. It's very relaxing. Had an excellent stay. Only had one problem- no hair dryer in the room i was staying in.. and my view was a view of the fire escape, but not every room has a view like that.. I hope.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Destini W, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Your review made me giggle!! You are correct, not all our rooms have a view of the fire escape!! It was that particular comment that made me laugh. I do thank you for taking the time to complete a review and sincerely apologize you did not have a hair dryer in your room. I hope...we delivered one quickly upon request.

Please keep us in mind should you be attending future concerts in the City. We're always happy to provide a place to crash and hope you'll be visiting us again soon!!

All the best for a year of great concerts and happy travels,

Chicago
Reviewed January 24, 2014

Chicago has so many interesting, inviting, welcoming hotels, where you’ll enjoy your stay and return home with great memories.

Hotel Indigo is **not** one of those places. I’d considered staying here in the past but had doubts, then recently decided to go ahead and give it a try. I so regret that choice.

Two main problems.

One, the hotel is, frankly, kind of run down. In the (super small) room I was assigned, the furniture was stained, the laminate floor was peeling up, the wallpaper was gashed, and the shower was moldy. There is some kind of overpowering chemical cleaning smell throughout, especially in the lobby but also in the room. And it gets better! While I was there, the hotel had placed plastic sheeting across the entrance and several plastic tubes across the lobby ceiling, because there had been a flood on the second floor. They told me something about “mold.”

Second, and actually more important to me, is the staff’s apparent lack of understanding of (or perhaps disinterest in) the basic concept of hospitality. I realize this can be subjective, and the details of several incidents are long and boring for here, but…I travel a fair amount, am a consistently conscientious guest, and have a pretty intelligent sense of when I’m being treated respectfully and when I’m not. The Hotel Indigo staff really seems to begrudge its role of working to help guests enjoy the time there. It does leave an impression, not just for this location but for the brand overall.

I know my review is harsh. Generally on principle, I don’t do bad reviews, only good ones, and generally not for chains, only independent places. But this particular trip will always feel ruined for me, **solely** because of my experience at this hotel. If I can help someone else avoid that, then my decision to write and submit this review will have been worthwhile.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank annie_malone
Thank you for your review and feedback. We value all our feedback and will ensure we share your comments with our entire Team as we work to improve our overall guest experience. We do apologize for the inconvenience as we are having some repair work done in our Lobby and 2nd Floor. Please rest assured we are diligently working to ensure the hotel is well maintained and as up to date as possible. We understand that this work can be somewhat unattractive during the actual process but hope our guests will find the finished product work worth it.

We hope you will reconsider using our hotel and our Brand, as I can assure you, the primary goal is to create a unique guest experience.

Thank you again for your valued feedback,

Miller, Indiana
Reviewed January 23, 2014

On December 21 and 24, I had the pleasure of staying at Hotel Indigo. This quaint, unique, intimate, attractively furnished boutique hotel was quiet & peaceful during the holiday season. The staff is extremely accommodating--friendly, cheerful, professional. The location is convenient to Old Town, Moody Church, Newberry Library, Red Line CTA, Walgreens--a great walking neighborhood for us to get around. The first visit was solo and I never left the room. In need of a decent nights sleep, I was grateful for the huge, welcoming comfortable king bed.
On the second visit I was accompanied by my friend/cousin. Andrew assigned us to a room overlooking Dearborn Street with two queen beds. To our delight, the room overlooked the neighbor's manger scene. We walked to Moody Church for Christmas Eve Candlelight service. On our way back to hotel, we walked down Wells, through the middle of Old Town. The scene was surreal. My cousin enjoyed sipping on a Pinot Grigio and I sipped on Grand Marnier while we engaged in lively conversation with our bartendress who offered us her dinner-- a thin crust pizza. The queen bed offered me another night of sound and restful sleep.
I cannot comment on noise level because the hotel was not 100% booked and it was very quiet. We enjoyed a healthy, delicious breakfast on Christmas Morning and then walked two miles to the Loop via State Street. Christmas 2013 indeed was a memorable experience. Thank you everyone at Hotel Indigo!

Room Tip: Room 1002 is a large king room and on the inside of hotel, very quiet on December 21. Room 702 has...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for the absolutely wonderful review!! We consider all our feedback a gift, but your comments truly made our day!! This is the kind of experience we work to create for all of our guests and I could not be happier that you enjoyed not one but two stays with us during the holiday season!! We hope you will consider coming back to see us again soon and wish you all the best for 2014!!

Thanks again for sharing such great feedback and for giving us the opportunity to have you as our guest!!

Indiana
Reviewed January 21, 2014

My family and I was delighted with this gorgeous hotel. It was warm and inviting, especially after walking for a few hours on the Magnificent Mile in cold and snowy weather. The staff was friendly and informative upon check-in and the lobby, bar and dining room were well appointed. Our room decor was cheerful and bright with rich blues, greens, purples and oranges. We slept peacefully and comfortably; and enjoyed a nice breakfast, which came with the room price, in the cozy dining room. Additionally, the hotel had a decent-sized gym, offered massage therapy, and had a nail and facial spa on the second floor. I noticed that the application of gel nails was $40.00, which is what I normally pay when I get them done. I thought it would have cost more at the hotel. The only complaint I had was that the $45.00 valet parking was too expensive, however, one had to utilize it because there is nowhere else to park close to the hotel. Other than this one wrinkle, our stay was great!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for the incredible review and for taking the time to share photos with other travelers!! We could not be more pleased your enjoyed your stay with us!!

We do apologize for parking charges downtown Chicago. While the parking garage next door offers some of the lowest parking charges in the City, we do understand it can come as a surprise to many people. We do try to make every effort to communicate these charges and often offer a Park for a Penny package and/or other parking packages throughout the year. Please watch for such offers on our website or feel free to call us directly and we'll be happy to accommodate you with the best price available.

We hope you'll come back and see us again soon!! Please be sure to try some of our other Hotel Indigo locations. We are confident you'll fall in love with our Brand and the unique experience each hotel has to offer!!

Safe and happy travels,

Blairsville, Georgia
Reviewed January 7, 2014

My husband and I recently spent the night here while attending a holiday open house a few blocks away. The king-sized bed dominated the room; but we had everything we needed at a comfortable price. Yes, there is valet parking next door at a separate business - not such a great experience there; but it was conveniently close by.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank jackievolk
Thank you for the great review!! We admit some of our rooms can be considered cozy. As a historical property, we have learned to appreciate that spaces have grown over the years giving us more room to move around. In the 1920's when the hotel opened, there were 312 rooms to the 165 we have today. We do suppose, for the rates ( $2.50 to $5.00) they offered a room then to the rates we offer now, space is relative. We hope you'll come back and see us again soon!!

All the best,