“Unfriendly” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #114 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Detroit MI
“Unfriendly”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2008

We stayed at the Hotel Indigo for three days over this past weekend. I called the hotel directly to make my reservation. The operator gave me the price 299.00, which was 120.00 more the first night since it was a Saturday. The other two nights were 120.00 cheaper, 179.00 a night. She sent me an email confirmation of these prices.
When I checked in, the woman at the front desk told me that the first night would be 100.00 more that what I had been quoted on the phone. I told her that I was told the room would be 299.00 a night and she stated no, it is 399.00 a night. I said I think there is a mistake she insisted no it is not a mistake. I took out my receipt with the amount printed on it , which she still said that was not the right price. I again stated that was the price I was given on the phone and it was on the receipt. She finally called her manager over, he took my printed receipt to the back office. He came out and said It was more because I had 3 people. I stated I do not have 3 people only 2 people. He went in the back again and stated that they had me down for 3 people and that is an extra 20.00 charge and showed me an area on the bottom of the receipt where 20.00 was printed. That still did not make sense to me because it was 100.00 more not 20.00 more. I felt like they did not believe me that I had 2 people. Finally after about 20 minutes they gave me the amount on the printed email receipt. This was very unpleasant. They made me feel like i was the bad guy. I felt like they did not believe me even though I had the price right on the confirmation slip. No one ever said They were sorry they had made a mistake.

Generally, the people at the front desk were not friendly. No one ever said hello when you walked by. When I checked out the woman did not even ask how everything was or even thank-you or have a nice day. Other hotels in Chicago seem so friendly I did not find anyone in this hotel friendly. The doorman did not help me with the door when I left , he saw me with 2 suitcases. A guest coming in held the door open. I could not believe it when I saw the doorman watching.
There was a big crowd of kids outside of the hotel on Dearborn making alot of noise at 2:00 in the morning. This went on for about an hour.

The handle on the toilet kept falling off also. IF I had paid 399.00 a night I would have been very unhappy. We had recently stayed at the Fairmont in San Fransico and we did not have one complaint. If you pay the high prices you should expect things to be pretty perfect.
The hotel was cute and very clean. The beds were comfortable.

• Liked — Interior design very creative
  • Disliked — The front desk
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank birdieDetroitMI

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Thai first
Baltimore, MD
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2008

Spent 5 nights here at the end of June while attending a conference. Very attractive hotel- converted older hotel so rooms vary in size, but very nicely done. Staff friendly and very nice feel to the hotel. Very good location a couple of blocks from CTA transit line- several good restaurants nearby.

Recommend it

Had read a TripAdvisor report that gave me pause, but discount it after my very positive experience.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2008

The hotel, located in the relatively quiet residential area of the Gold Coast, is conveniently located 1 1/2 blocks from a subway stop. The only issue with transportation is that we could not return northbound due to weekend and evening construction closing the route.

The room design really made fantastic use of the space. Having a small sitting area added to the value. When we first arrived, there was drilling right outside as workers repaired the scaffolding -- the hours were limited to midday, and we didn't have any problems with noise.

We really enjoyed our stay, and there were only two minor drawbacks -- the food service was lackadaisical, at best, and the front desk insisted on a limousine service to the airport, when we were able to hail a taxi that morning for half the price.

Stayed April 2008
Rockford, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2008

What a great hotel. The check in staff were ready for us, the rooms were clean and had a fantastic view of Lake MIchigan. The front desk staff were extremely helpful as were the bellhops when we were looking for information and directions. Very comfortable beds and all the amenities you could want. Definitely a great place to stay!

• Liked — Very clean rooms-very helpful staff
  • Disliked — nothing bad to say
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2008

We had to come to Chicago for a funeral. We only stayed one night. The Hotel Indigo was beautiful. The color schemes were awesome. The staff was friendly. The night clerk upgraded our room for us. I LOVED the location. Quiet residential area, but just a couple blocks from all the action. We were able to walk the tree lined beautiful streets to the church for the funeral. There is a GREAT restaurant on the same block, wonderful breakfast. It couldn't have been a better experience. I would love to stay there again.

• Liked — I liked the location and the awsome rooms.
  • Disliked — The little cafe was not prepared for breakfast, however there was an excellent restaurant on the same street for breakfast :-)
louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2008

I came to Chicago to celebrate my son's birthday. What a wonderful trip and a beautiful boutique hotel. The staff greeted me with a smile everytime I walked through the door. My room was so relaxing and the bed was very comfortable. The shower water was always hot. Everthing you could ask for was minutes away, restaurants, shopping, night life etc.etc.. This will be the hotel I stay at when traveling through the Windy City.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — nothing
louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2008

My Aunt, cousin and I came to the Big City from Louisiana to do all the shopping we could. Friends had told us about the Indigo (without going into great detail so as not to spoil our surprise). We checked in and were absolutely amazed at how different it was but we still felt as if we were on a relaxing vacation. I loved the decor - thought it was very cool. That was enough to have enjoyed the hotel but we also experienced staff that always smiled and were very helpful to some southern girls. I've told everyone about our stay. Everyone going to Chicago for a visit or some shopping should get to stay. Thank you!

• Liked — the decor of the rooms
  • Disliked — parking