“It will do...but has problems”

Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast
Ranked #122 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Dallas, Texas
“It will do...but has problems”
Reviewed October 31, 2013

I stayed at this hotel recently for a full week. Walking in, the hotel is light, airy, and inviting. The desk clerk Dena was very helpful and nice. The hotel is in easy walking distance to the Hancock Observatory, Water Tower Place, and Michigan Ave. It's also right around the corner of the Red Line and many bus stops.

The room itself seemed clean but very, very small. With two people we were practically tripping over each other constantly. The comforter on the bed looked like it hadn't been washed in forever, and I found blood spots on it. The bathroom was also extremely small and had only a shower with a tile floor and no bath tub; there was brown mildew and soap scum covering the tile floor in the shower and despite the maid coming in every other day it was never cleaned. The only reason we were able to stand it was because I always bring shower shoes with me to hotels--there was no way my bare feet was going to touch that! Also in the bathroom above the door we noticed there appeared to be a black mold growing on the wall. It seriously grossed me out! Besides that there were only 2 electrical outlets in the room and there was no refrigerator you could store cold drinks in or bring leftovers from dinner.

Me and my family spent most of our week exploring Chicago and only came back to the room to collapse. I wouldn't use this hotel if you plan to spend a lot of time there. This hotel met our budget for our Chicago trip and provided us a place to sleep. That was about it. If I wanted to spend more time in a hotel than what we did I would probably spend a little more to stay at a newer, better kept hotel.

I chose this hotel because of the high ratings it received on trip advisor, but seriously I don't know how it got that rating!

Room Tip: Get one on the higher floors facing the north. There are no buildings on that side and you have a n...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank NewTraveler102
Destini W, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Thank you for sharing your honest feedback with us! We will be looking into your concerns immediately and making necessary corrections. We hope you'll give us another opportunity to have you as our guest and restore your faith in our hotel services. Thanks again for choosing our hotel and for providing the valuable feedback that will enable us to continue improving our overall Hotel Indigo guest experience!!

Thanks again,
Destini

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Thai first
Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2013

This is a great little hotel if you like "a home away from home" experience and prefer more boutique hotels rather than chain hotels. Although this is part of the Intercontinental Hotel Group chain it has the service level of a chain hotel with the quirkyness of boutique hotels.
My favourite thing was the leafy neighbourhood where it's situated with great Victorian looking houses and great little bars, plus you are just a walk away from Division street with all the nightlife.
The Oak street beach is about 5-10 minutes walk so on a sunny day it's pure bliss, especially if you like your walk or jogg in the mornings.
Loved the Blueberry wallpaper in the room, although the rooms are quite small, it's all that you need for a nice stay in the Windy city ...

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank voyagenonstop
Thank you for your great review and for choosing our hotel!! There are so many hotel options in the City of Chicago and we are very happy you gave us the pleasure of having you as our guest!! We do understand some of our rooms could be considered cozy, the hotel was built in the 1920's after all and once held 312 rooms compared to our 165 rooms. Can you imagine? We just hope you're spending your time enjoying the City and all it has to offer instead of watching TV in your guestroom. It sounds like you did just that and explored our local neighborhood!! Well done!!

We hope to see you again soon, thanks again for taking the time to share your feedback.

All the best,
Schaumburg, Illinois
Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed here with a friend since we were attending a class and did not want to make the drive back and forth to the burbs for day 2. Upon arrival, the lobby is very cute with oversized chairs. It instantly makes you feel like you are on vacation. The front desk was not so friendly. When we gave her our reservation information, she immediately asked us to step to the side and wait for the manager. Of course, I was instantly worried since she was abrupt and provided no explanation. Once the manager arrived he explained that the room we booked was not available because of a broken window. I think he fairly compensated us for our troubles and was vey apologetic about the change in rooms. Overall, our room was nice. It was large enough to accommodate a king bed plus a roll away. The decor was light and bright. The room was clean and breakfast was good the next day. I would stay here again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for the very positive review even though it sounds as if we were getting off to a rocky start! I'm delighted we were able to accommodate you and apologize we were unable to do so in the room you originally reserved. On occasion we do have things happen that are out of our control and we sincerely appreciate your understanding!! We hope you'll come back and see us again soon!!

Safe and happy travels,

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Several:
1. Once I arrived there, I was waiting by the reception area to check in. I was impressed with the other individual at the desk (male, caucasian, mid 20's??, very tall) who was providing a great check in experience to the gentleman checking in. He offered the IHG rewards system and to help him sign up and seemed to go above and beyond with him. Unfortunately for myself I was not greeted that way. There was a gentleman beside him who was on the phone, doing some work on the computer. After about 8 minutes, he looked at me, pointed and me and gestured with his finger to come on over. He did not greet me and welcome me to the hotel. I was a bit confused right now thinking if this guy is actually a customer service rep for the hotel. I told him I was checking in and that I have a reservation. He then asked me for a credit card and photo id. He did his thing, swore silently a couple times for he was not getting the task completed (whatever that was). Once he had his print out he did not even explain the hotel reservation, my stay, offer a map, ask if I had any questions, etc. He just gave me the sheet and said sign here, initial there and there. As I had booked the rate for 5000 bonus points for IHG, I thought he might explain that and give some kind of extra warm welcome since many other rewards clubs take that extra mile to welcome their guests. He gave me my hotel cards to open the my hotel door and one of them worked and the other did not. Anyway the gentleman was named C***s (there was a small sign saying he is really not standing on a stool and that is how tall he is, etc.) So after being on a plane and stopping at a couple of airports for the last 10 hours, this was not a good start.

2. When entering my room (404)I was disappointed at how small the room was. It looked like a dorm room from back in my college days. So disappointed at the price I paid for such small accommodations with no view. I have stayed in several Chicago hotels this past year alone. I live in Canada. Only reason I stayed here was because of the IHG rewards and had actually cancelled at another well known establishment just to try something different and take advantage of the points. So never again.

3. I was disappointed as well with how unfriendly the majority of the staff were. Was really a big surprise for I travel regularly and usually don't have any complaints. From the 21st to 23rd i had only 1 person in the front desk who said hello. Most of the staff would not look at you or greet you.

4. I did have a pleasant experience on the 22nd the next morning as I was going to get breakfast. Her name is Chivone (sorry if misspelled). She went above and beyond to answer my questions, offer me this and that, and really provide first class service. I was so pleased that I even took out a $5 bill and gave it to her saying this is for your outstanding service.

5. Also there was the door man who I had seen several times there and never once did he say welcome to Hotel Indigo, etc or hello in general. I did point him out because the day that I was leaving is the only day he ever said something to me. He said do I need a taxi. I told him yes and he got one for me right away. Since he took my bag I felt obligated to give him something and the smallest bill I had was a $5 bill. I gave it to him once I got in the taxi and that was the first time he smiled, said thank you for staying at Hotel Indigo and come back and see us again. So my point is that although he was pleasant once he got a tip, I think however that all the staff should have a positive pleasant attitude to provide excellent HOSPITALITY.

So lesson is never again will I stay at this hotel and was very sad that this experience ruined my excitement on visiting Chicago for I have been there many, many times.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your honest feedback!! If I am not mistaken, our Guest Services Manager has reached out to you in an effort to restore your faith in our hotel and I believe I saw an e-mail that stated she was successful in doing so!! I sincerely apologize we didn't get it right the first time but it's our primary focus to ensure we somehow make it right!! Thanks for giving us that opportunity!!

We hope to see you back again soon and I am confident we'll "get it right" this time!!

All the best,
Poland, Ohio
Reviewed October 23, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a girls getaway weekend in October. The decor leaves a lasting, happy first impression. The staff were all very kind and helpful, except for in the dining room. Service was ridiculously slow but the food was good. The room was a nice size but the bathroom was a little small. We all had facials with Margaret and agree it was the BEST facial we ever had!! She is awesome. It is a really quiet neighborhood away from the traffic but you can easily walk to shopping or restaurants. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for the incredible review!! We loved this line: The decor leaves a lasting, happy first impression. We agree and working here does wonders for ones mood each day!! We will be sure to share your positive feedback with Margaret as well, she will be delighted you enjoyed your facial!! She does an amazing job!! Please come back for your next Girl's Weekend, as a matter of fact, we suggest you do these regularly!! It's amazing what they can do for your overall health and well being.

Here's to great girlfriends,
New Jersey
Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

Clean, well-decorated, you are instantly relaxed when you walk in this hotel. It sets a scene of a beach, relaxed, calm. I was greeted by Chris, super nice gentleman that checked me in. I went up to my room and again super nice, relaxing, bright and fun! Spacious for a city hotel, they use their space wisely. Nice stand up shower and a safe to keep your goods. Keurig's in the room to make a coffee and super comfy beds.

On top of it all, the rates are unreal for Chicago. I paid $149/night advance purchase when the rest of the hotels downtown were at $239+. Best value I see in Chicago.

I love this place. Makes you feels safe, comfortable, and at home. This is my first night in a Hotel Indigo, and I'm excited to find one in the next city I visit!!! Highly recommend

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Destini W, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Your recommendation is the greatest compliment we could possibly hope for, thank you for your feedback!! We will be sure to recognize Chris for creating a great first impression of our hotel and I sincerely hope you will try out several of our other Hotel Indigo locations. You'll be sure to fall in love with the brand and the unique experiences each of our hotels can offer our guests.

Thank you for choosing our hotel and for sharing your comments with us!! We hope you'll be back again soon!!

Happy travels,
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel while working from May to October 2013 and also stayed with my granddaughter in October 2013. I travel for business all the time so I spend a lot of nights in hotels.
This is my favorite hotel. I love the location, the atmosphere of the hotel, the room decor & layout. The hotel staff is great. I recommend the hotel manager, Destini. This is the 2nd property I have stayed at that she has managed and both have been great. I highly recommend this hotel for business or pleasure.
Location-it is a great location in Chicago. Close to Lake Michigan, Rush Steet with great restaurants, Michigan Ave. Close to the Red Line train to get to other parts of the city.
I hope you enjoy your stay here as much as I have.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Sharon - thank you for your kind comments!! I am one of the lucky people who enjoy what they do for a living. Meeting wonderful people like yourself is just one of the many benefits of being in the hospitality industry!! I sincerely hope our paths cross again!! Please know you are always welcome to reach out to me personally anytime you need hotel accommodations!!

Thank you for being loyal to our IHG hotels and for being a valued IHG Rewards Member. You deserve your Platinum status and we could not be more grateful for incredible guests like you!!

Happy travels,