“Great location, really nice staff”

Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast
Ranked #123 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We stayed at Indigo Hotel on our recent (first) visit to Chicago and had a wonderful experience. The location is excellent - in the north part of the downtown area and yet on a quiet street, so it is nice and peaceful throughout the day and night.

We enjoy walking and found most sites within walking distance. Lincoln Park is just up Dearborn Pkwy and the Magnificent Mile and sites south (Water Tower, Hancock, Tribune Tower, Museum of Contemporary Art, Art Institute, Millenium Park) are about 45 - 60 minutes of easy walking. Since there is much to see along the way, the walking is not a hardship at all!

The hotel itself is clean, well-maintained, with bright, colourful decor. It felt homey and cheerful. The front desk staff were lovely - very helpful and courteous. We were there for a 5 nights the staff upgraded us to a larger suite, which was fantastic and made our stay even more delightful.

Definitely worth a stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Destini W, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Thank for the great review! We do have a great location and we're happy to hear you enjoyed the city on foot! There are so many great things to see and do and so much that can be missed if traveling by taxi. I was happy to hear we were able to upgrade you to a larger room, it is nice to have the extra space if you're staying more than a day or two. Thank you for choosing our hotel and for the terrific feedback! Please come back and see us again soon!!

Happy travels,

There are newer reviews for Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast

Reviewed July 8, 2013

I stayed here over memorial day weekend. The location was very convenient and he decor was very nice. Drug stores and shopping were in walking distance. There was a bar and a bistro in the hotel but there never seemed to be anyone patronizing them.
I booked online for the advance purchase rate. Be warned. Our room was right outside the elevators, extremely compact and one window with the view of a brick wall! For the money I didn't think much of the room, but I learned a valuable lesson.

Room Tip: Look online and check out your room options before you book. Dont get a rooms across from or near th...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Dear classyk,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. We are so pleased you liked the fine location of our hotel in the area. We are sorry you were not satisfied with the room accommodations you received and any inconvenience you may have experienced during your stay. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We were in town to pick up a friend at O'Hare that arrived from Germany. We spent the two nights in the Indigo hotel. It was great. We loved the location, service, food, and bar. The breakfast, ala cart was also well worth the price. The Gold Coast area of Chicago is pretty much central we were in walking distance of most major attractions.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

We loved your review! It was short, sweet and covered all the points where we aim to please. Thank you for choosing our hotel! With so many great hotels downtown Chicago, we are grateful each time a guest chooses to stay with us! We hope you and your friend from Germany enjoyed the July 4th celebrations downtown.

Thank you for the feedback!! Please come back and see us again soon!

Reviewed July 8, 2013

This is a great little hotel, very attentive staff, great location right downtown. Plus they were running a special the weekend we were there where they threw in the parking for a penny instead of charging $45-70 a night as do other downtown hotels.The only problem we had was that the room was full of dead gnats when we checked in. To be fair, we learned that this was part of a larger gnat infestation that was going on in downtown during the time we stayed there, it probably has some thing to do with being near Lake Michigan in the summer. The girl at the desk was properly shocked when I told her about them and promised to have housekeeping take care of them. They never did, nor did they take care of the broken coffee pot in the room, which I also told her about. To sum up, I would definitely stay at this hotel again, they just need to work on their housekeeping a little better.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for the great review!! It is with honest feedback such as yours that we can continue to improve our guest experience. I apologize we fell short in a few areas and am grateful you'd be willing to give us another opportunity to have you as our guest.

Please don't hesitate to ask for me directly for your next reservation. Thanks again for the feedback!!

Safe and happy travels,

Reviewed July 8, 2013

This hotel is where the historic Claridge hotel was in Chicago. Hotel Indigo took over in 2005. The decor is modern beach house which is nice, but sprt of strange for a city hotel.

We had a 1 BR suite which was very large by city standards. There were two full bathroom as well. The shower areas in both bathrooms were older and needed some updating, but the actual rooms were spacious. Nice Aveda amenities for bathroom.

I was disappointed that even though there was a big sink in living room, there was no fridge or microwave. There was a Keurig coffee maker in bedroom though.

There were some minor problems in bathroom and they were fixed quickly and the staff was very pleasant.

One complaint I had is a room deodorizer that seemed to be used throughout hotel. It was especially apparent in lobby. They should definitely do away with that. Cheapens the hotel.

We had a pleasant stay. Great neighborhood and very centrally located.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

We appreciate your great feedback!! Your suite was one of our two largest suites, we're delighted you enjoyed the extra space! There is a refrigerator in each of our suites in the cabinet under the sink. It is well hidden and can be missed, we apologize for keeping it a secret! I was happy to hear your bathroom concerns were addressed quickly, we know things can go wrong and I couldn't be happier that our Team jumped into action. They're great like that!

I'm sorry you did not enjoy our seasonal scent. It's actually part of the Hotel Indigo charm, however, it can be strong the first few days we put the scent card in the machine and I sincerely apologize if it was a bit offensive. After a few days, it's actually quite nice.

We hope you'll come back and see us again! Our location is great and our Macy's Shopping Package just became available. Please come back in the fall, we'd love to help you get some holiday shopping out of the way!

Thanks again for sharing your feedback!

All the best,

Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

I have just recently stayed at the hotel indigo in Chicago and have to say it was the worst hotel experience that I have ever had. It all began with the request of a pull out bed which was requested when I set my reservation through what I am assuming is a Call Center. The reservation Agent set my reservation and explained that the additional charge would be collected at the hotel (everything “seemed” to be falling into place). Before we left for our trip we heard of a great little restaurant called the Girl and the goat, which is very in demand. A member of our party decided to call the hotel to see if they could get us a table. They were advised by Andrew that we were calling to early (3 weeks in advance) and call a few days ahead of our stay. When we called back Andrew advised us that he never heard of the restaurant and that they were completely booked. Very disappointing, my thought was they may have not have been booked two weeks earlier, but things happen so we booked another restaurant. When checking in for our stay I was told that we could not have a pull out bed. I explained the information I was given previously when making my reservation. I was informed by “Alma ” (not sure she avoided me after our initial conversation) that the reservation was made off site and there was nothing she could do because it was a fire hazard. I explained that I understood safety, but the error was made by IHG and how would they accommodate my travelling party situation. I went back and forth until I was given the option to relocate to another hotel outside of our desirable location, I politely declined. At this time I was told that they could check the phone recording and check to see if I was told that I could have a pull out bed. What horrible customer service. First you do not make a distinguished separation from the Chicago staff to the call center you are all Agents of one Company . Second how dare you accuse me of not telling the truth, “If I was told that”. Third the condition of the bathroom was disgusting . The saddest thing of all is that your set up is so desirable. The bright colors are inviting and Ed the Doorman was the highlight of our stay. Your other staff were downright rude or even worse not memorable!

• Stayed: June 2013
Destini W, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

I am very disappointed to hear we did not meet your expectations. It sounds like we dropped the ball on several occasions and I sincerely apologize on behalf of the entire Hotel Indigo Chicago Gold Coast Team. We strive for complete guest satisfaction and appreciate honest feedback such as yours as it gives us the opportunity to address areas for improvement.

I hope you'll give us another opportunity to show you this is not typical of a Hotel Indigo guest experience. If I may assist personally for future reservations to avoid any confusion, please reach out to me.

Thanks again for your feedback,

Reviewed July 2, 2013

The Indigo Hotel was clean and beautiful. We were greeted with friendly service when we arrived and were checked in 2 hours early so that we could catch a boat cruise. We were allowed to bring our small dog for a flat fee of $75, which was well worth it and there was a water bowl and bin of dog treats in the lobby. The room was small but beautiful with a king bed, flat screen TV and Keurig for coffee and tea. What really made out trip special though was that we cracked our windshield on our drive from Toronto and Tom Hilton, one of the desk staff, took time to call an autoglass repair service and arrange for them to come to the hotel to fix our windshield. He stayed after his regular shift to make sure we got it fixed and even stayed with us until the job was done! He went absolutely above and beyond good customer service and he also gave me a box of chocolates for my birthday. *5 STARS* for Tom Hilton and the Indigo Hotel Chicago, Gold Coast!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

We agree...*5 STARS* for Tom Hilton and the Indigo Hotel Chicago, Gold Coast!! We will be sure to recognize Tom for going above and beyond. Would it surprise you if I told you he treats all of our guests this way? We don't know what we would do without him!

Thank you for the wonderful feedback!! We hope you'll come back and see us for any return trips to Chicago!

Safe and happy travels,