“Nice Hotel in Great Area”

Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast
Ranked #128 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This hotel is where the historic Claridge hotel was in Chicago. Hotel Indigo took over in 2005. The decor is modern beach house which is nice, but sprt of strange for a city hotel.

We had a 1 BR suite which was very large by city standards. There were two full bathroom as well. The shower areas in both bathrooms were older and needed some updating, but the actual rooms were spacious. Nice Aveda amenities for bathroom.

I was disappointed that even though there was a big sink in living room, there was no fridge or microwave. There was a Keurig coffee maker in bedroom though.

There were some minor problems in bathroom and they were fixed quickly and the staff was very pleasant.

One complaint I had is a room deodorizer that seemed to be used throughout hotel. It was especially apparent in lobby. They should definitely do away with that. Cheapens the hotel.

We had a pleasant stay. Great neighborhood and very centrally located.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Destini W, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

We appreciate your great feedback!! Your suite was one of our two largest suites, we're delighted you enjoyed the extra space! There is a refrigerator in each of our suites in the cabinet under the sink. It is well hidden and can be missed, we apologize for keeping it a secret! I was happy to hear your bathroom concerns were addressed quickly, we know things can go wrong and I couldn't be happier that our Team jumped into action. They're great like that!

I'm sorry you did not enjoy our seasonal scent. It's actually part of the Hotel Indigo charm, however, it can be strong the first few days we put the scent card in the machine and I sincerely apologize if it was a bit offensive. After a few days, it's actually quite nice.

We hope you'll come back and see us again! Our location is great and our Macy's Shopping Package just became available. Please come back in the fall, we'd love to help you get some holiday shopping out of the way!

Thanks again for sharing your feedback!

All the best,
Destini

Write a ReviewReviews (1,302)

Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

I have just recently stayed at the hotel indigo in Chicago and have to say it was the worst hotel experience that I have ever had. It all began with the request of a pull out bed which was requested when I set my reservation through what I am assuming is a Call Center. The reservation Agent set my reservation and explained that the additional charge would be collected at the hotel (everything “seemed” to be falling into place). Before we left for our trip we heard of a great little restaurant called the Girl and the goat, which is very in demand. A member of our party decided to call the hotel to see if they could get us a table. They were advised by Andrew that we were calling to early (3 weeks in advance) and call a few days ahead of our stay. When we called back Andrew advised us that he never heard of the restaurant and that they were completely booked. Very disappointing, my thought was they may have not have been booked two weeks earlier, but things happen so we booked another restaurant. When checking in for our stay I was told that we could not have a pull out bed. I explained the information I was given previously when making my reservation. I was informed by “Alma ” (not sure she avoided me after our initial conversation) that the reservation was made off site and there was nothing she could do because it was a fire hazard. I explained that I understood safety, but the error was made by IHG and how would they accommodate my travelling party situation. I went back and forth until I was given the option to relocate to another hotel outside of our desirable location, I politely declined. At this time I was told that they could check the phone recording and check to see if I was told that I could have a pull out bed. What horrible customer service. First you do not make a distinguished separation from the Chicago staff to the call center you are all Agents of one Company . Second how dare you accuse me of not telling the truth, “If I was told that”. Third the condition of the bathroom was disgusting . The saddest thing of all is that your set up is so desirable. The bright colors are inviting and Ed the Doorman was the highlight of our stay. Your other staff were downright rude or even worse not memorable!

• Stayed: June 2013
Destini W, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

I am very disappointed to hear we did not meet your expectations. It sounds like we dropped the ball on several occasions and I sincerely apologize on behalf of the entire Hotel Indigo Chicago Gold Coast Team. We strive for complete guest satisfaction and appreciate honest feedback such as yours as it gives us the opportunity to address areas for improvement.

I hope you'll give us another opportunity to show you this is not typical of a Hotel Indigo guest experience. If I may assist personally for future reservations to avoid any confusion, please reach out to me.

Thanks again for your feedback,

Reviewed July 2, 2013

The Indigo Hotel was clean and beautiful. We were greeted with friendly service when we arrived and were checked in 2 hours early so that we could catch a boat cruise. We were allowed to bring our small dog for a flat fee of $75, which was well worth it and there was a water bowl and bin of dog treats in the lobby. The room was small but beautiful with a king bed, flat screen TV and Keurig for coffee and tea. What really made out trip special though was that we cracked our windshield on our drive from Toronto and Tom Hilton, one of the desk staff, took time to call an autoglass repair service and arrange for them to come to the hotel to fix our windshield. He stayed after his regular shift to make sure we got it fixed and even stayed with us until the job was done! He went absolutely above and beyond good customer service and he also gave me a box of chocolates for my birthday. *5 STARS* for Tom Hilton and the Indigo Hotel Chicago, Gold Coast!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

We agree...*5 STARS* for Tom Hilton and the Indigo Hotel Chicago, Gold Coast!! We will be sure to recognize Tom for going above and beyond. Would it surprise you if I told you he treats all of our guests this way? We don't know what we would do without him!

Thank you for the wonderful feedback!! We hope you'll come back and see us for any return trips to Chicago!

Safe and happy travels,

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Have stayed in many different hotels when I go to Chicago to visit my daughter. This one was a great location, within 5 miles of her and within walking distance for many things. The doorman was very helpful with our bags all the way to our room. The staff at check in was very efficient and fast and acknowledged that my husband is a Priority Club Member. The front desk has a huge candy jar on it and cookies!

We were on the top floor in a corner room. The hotel is painted in very vivid, inviting colors with fun backwards words as borders around the main hotel halls. Our room was on the top floor in the corner. Smallish room compared to many we've been in as a Priority Member -- about average hotel room size. There is a hairdryer, K cup type coffee pot, room service and hotel information and a magazine about Chicago. Plenty of closet and drawer space if you wish to unpack.

We did visit the little bar in the front of the hotel. Prices were about average for the area. Service was very friendly and quick with a nice selection of drinks, wines and beers. We also had a small dish of "snacks" provided to us at no charge without asking. She was also quick to refill it when we picked through it.

There are many nightclubs, bars, restaurants and such within a 5 minute walk from the hotel. The Italian place directly next to the hotel was FANTASTIC! The hotel staff referred us there and it was well worth it. Its a wine bar with food and they are open for breakfast as well. We did visit some of the bars / clubs.

You could walk to the beach as well. It would be about 20 - 30 minute walk or <10 minutes by car. It is VERY close. There is no pool or hot tub that we saw at this hotel. We were hoping for at least a hot tub but did not see one. They do have some limited spa services such as mani/pedi available. We did not use these services at all.

We ate at the little coffee shot / restaurant in the back on the first floor on our last morning. The food was very reasonably priced, good portions, great staff and very comfortable atmosphere.

The price is pretty high to stay here - but you're paying for location. If you take into consideration that you'd have to cab around at other hotels it pretty much balances out. It's not a fancy - high class hotel, which you may anticipate based on the price. It is very charming, with great staff and a fantastic location. The street is adorable and very picturesque. The atmosphere of the neighborhood is very artsy. It gives the feeling of upscale without being upscale. Yes, it is an old renovated building - but that's part of the charm. Has a bit of a New Orleans feel to it.

Highly recommend staying here for the location and great staff.

Room Tip: If you plan on chilling beverages or keeping items cold you will have to bring a cooler as there is...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for the terrific review!! We enjoyed your comment regarding our candy jar and fresh cookies! Tootsie Rolls are made here in Chicago and our Chef prepares fresh cookies daily around check-in. We think it's only appropriate you be greeted with sweets after a long day!

Thank you for being loyal IHG Rewards members, formerly known as Priority Club, we're getting used to the new name as well!! We know our rooms appear to be a bit smaller than some hotels, but as you stated our hotel is in a very historic building which adds to the charm. This hotel once housed more than 300 rooms to our 165. Can you imagine?

We hope you'll come back and see us again soon! Our rates vary throughout the year, try us again for Holiday Shopping on the Magnificent Mile. We're certain you'll be amazed by our rates in November and December. Shall we make you a future reservation?

Hope to have you as our guest again soon!

Reviewed June 20, 2013

Hotel Indigo is a wonderful hotel and the location couldn't be better. The lobby and rooms are colorful and charming and the staff is always helpful. You are blocks from great shopping and amazing places to eat and drink. Tom at the front desk is very knowledgeable and will assist you in making your stay in Chicago perfect. I love this little gem of a hotel in the Gold Coast of Chicago!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

We enjoyed your Room Tip: The higher the floor the better the view. Lovely gardens on roof tops of neighboring brown stones. We are in the Gold Coast after all and this neighborhood is known for the beautiful private gardens. You can get a glimpse into gardens only open to the public once a year during the Garden Walk.

Thank you for your wonderful review! We can't wait to see you again! We will be sure to recognize for Tom for the role he played in your Hotel Indigo guest experience and thank you for the valuable feedback!

All the best,

Reviewed June 19, 2013

"What a gorgeous street" (albeit now under construction) I said, exiting the taxi. Did I mind taking my luggage in myself? Nope! Asking for a quiet room at check-in, I was told I was getting an upgrade - just refurbished, he said, smiling. (Room 409). REALLY??? I'd hate to see the others. And quiet - The window on the side DIRECTLY overlooked a small alley where a huge hotel ventilating system/fan ran 24 hour a day. It couldn't have been a noiser location.
Amenitities? Nope! Now I'm not asking for a lot - a robe would have made my day. A magnifying mirror in the bathroom would have been nice - a Q-tip or cotton ball would have helped. NADA! And breakfast? Let's not even go there. Three requests for coffee finally produced a luke-warm cup. Freshsqueezed orange juice, she told me.. NOPE! (orangeaide??)
I'm not giving this hotel a poor......although I should. The place was a large disappointment.
Considering the pricey real estate upon which this hotel sits, they really really really need to get rid of the peeling paint in the bathroom. The place has potential to be a lovely boutique hotel but nobody seems to know how to do that.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room, AVOID Room 409
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank nezzie
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2013

Dear nezzie,

Thank you for submitting your review of our hotel. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I am sorry to hear that our hotel fell below your expectations. The feedback we receive from you enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. Your comments are being reviewed by the hotel's management and appropriate action will be taken.

We hope to have an opportunity to serve you again in the near future to provide you with the service you deserve and expect from us.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed June 12, 2013

The customer service from the gentleman who took our bags to the gentleman who checked us in. The hotel atmosphere is colorful! Rooms are comfortable and quiet. Bed was very comfortable. The only thing that we would change was the TV's. They are old and the remote did not work well

Room Tip: We were on the 12th floor. Very nice.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for the great review! We are actually just finishing up our TV replacement project. All of our rooms now have the flat screen TV's guests have come to expect. We like to think our old TV's were a bit "retro" but we agree, they did nothing to enhance the TV viewing experience.

Please come back and see us again soon! We'll be honored to have you as our guest. If I may assist with future reservations in any way, please reach out to me personally.

Travel safely,