“I enjoy my trip and hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast

Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast
Ranked #116 of 185 Hotels in Chicago
Iowa City, Iowa, United States
“I enjoy my trip and hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

really nice and comfortable hotel~I love all the colors and decoration. The server there is really nice, especially the front desk, Tom Hilton, he is really patient, considerate, hard-working and sweet,:-) I enjoy all the experience in the hotel, the Christmas chocolate and nice photos with Tom!

Room Tip: some room is dry for sleep.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Prince407

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Thai first
Maple Grove, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

My fiancee and I wanted to stay close to downtown but at a more intimate setting the the giant corporate hotels. The hotel is small (in a good way) personal, and very clean. We pulled right up to the front door and the desk was only steps away. The parking, elevator, and room were all very close and convenient. The staff was very courteous, helpful and friendly. The rooms are very cool - hardwood floors, bright colors, not your typical hotel room. The hotel is located in a great area within walking distance to great restaurants and shops. Will definetly stay at Indigo again. The only downside would be that the heating unit fans are somewhat noisy (at least in our room) we ended up shutting it off the second night and the lack of storage (which has been mentioned in other reviews). Otherwise I would highly recommend the hotel for couples and those who are looking for a smaller, fun, more intimate hotel in the downtown area

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank marklpe
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

We arrived by train at 1 pm and they let us check in right away.
The room was ok ,small with 1 Queen size bed.TV was tiny and old.
I had problems with the comforter,it was very heavy.
Front desk was friendly and they had a small business section with 2 computers .
We booked through Priceline and the experience in all was fine.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank hofgirl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

They have the best customer service I have ever experienced! I would advise anyone who is coming to Chicago to stay here!!

• Stayed November 2011
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

I was delighted for the opportunity of a return stay at the Hotel Indigo. Despite others' experience with third-party booking, I was actually treated very well.

Due to travel delays, I arrived in Chicago near midnight (several hours later than scheduled). I was concerned about the room status since this was a Hotwire booking. But the front desk clerk, Lissa, could not have been more helpful. I phoned ahead and she said, "Yes, I see your Hotwire booking" -- [so she knew this was 3rd party] -- and I have noted your delayed arrival for a reservation of one night." I replied it was actually two nights -- we had added on a second night after the initial reservation.

Lissa quickly found this information, and remembered it when I finally arrived very late that night at the hotel. Her greeting was friendly and professional -- as soon as I identified myself, she let me know she was the person to whom I had spoken on the phone, and she expressed empathy for the long day of travel delays. (A small thing, perhaps, but it really makes a difference to a tired traveler.) She also told me just to come down to the desk in the morning and they would work out having the "second" reservation applied to my room without necessitating a move.

When I came down the next morning, the only downside was a non-uniformed woman working at the front desk computer. I explained about the reservation consolidation and she *rolled her eyes*(!), made some sort of snorting noise and said "I don't think so," and went back to what she was doing. It was appallingly rude. Luckily a woman standing next to her (who was in the "uniform" of other clerks) quickly said, "Yes, Miss ____, I took care of the reservation this morning and you are all set!" I said the other woman had been very rude; the competent clerk apologized and asked if she could take care of breakfast. I had already eaten, but I appreciated the offer to make things right. Note to management, though: the older woman who works the computer and is not dressed like the clerks should not have contact with guests.

Kudos on the excellent night clerk and morning clerk. I typically book directly through the hotel, although in this instance I used Hotwire on a whim -- and I am pleased to say that I have been treated cordially no matter the booking source (as should be the case in a competently managed hotel.)

P.S. -- The only oddity: since the elevator is near the front door, I realized many guests do not realize there is a small restaurant in the back of the lobby. Rooms have a large menu for a restaurant nextdoor, but no info on in-house dining, which is too bad because it is in a very cute space!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank jengaworld
Lima, OH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011

The good: We really liked the decor and set up of this hotel -very peaceful-had a room with double queen beds that was bright with many chairs and benches, lots of lights, adequate space, full-length mirrrors, big, fluffy towels and easy-access internet service in the room. Ate across the street at Mario's-great Italian food with half portions available for good cost, then walked down to Michigan Avenue, which was an easy walk with wide sidewalks and well lit. Parking gargage with valet parking was conveniently located beside the hotel and got the car shortly after calling for it.
The bad: If you book your room through a third party, they place a $50 hold on your credit card for incidentals, then refund any balance; they will not participate in valet parking, such as calling them for you, as it is a separate business; they will not take responsibility for any offers/services listed for their hotel on the third-party (Expedia, in our case) web site and will not provide any kind of a receipt other than for whatever incidentals you purchase while there.
The ugly: Both check-in and check-out hotel staff seemed very resentful that we had booked third-party, rather than directly with them. There were 3 of us in the room, as we noted when we made the reservation. We had opted to upgrade from the room for $139 to the $180 offer, which stated it included a full breakfast. My husband was the first down to breakfast and found there was no such offer of a full breakfast -what was available for the extra money ($41) was a roll, coffee and juice. My husband tried to cancel the breakfast and get a refund, but the staff refused, saying they had to pay Expedia for it and it could not be refunded. When my daughter and I came down, we found they had collected the breakfast coupon from my husband and that the breakfast was only good for 2 guests, not 3 and we needed to negotiate for the coupon that was required to redeem the roll, juice and coffee breakfast that only 1 more of us was allowed to redeem. Some expensive breakfast, huh?? Our dismay was increased as the night before we had ordered a dessert that came with ice cream, but were told they had run out of ice cream and no adjustment was offered in the price. Seems we were offensive to them by booking third party and not entitled to any refunds for any reason -staff said they sell blocks of rooms to the third party bookers and were not responsible for anything they listed, such as the "full breakfast," and claimed the bookers merely lifted things off the hotel web site. Apparently, that was where Expedia got the full breakfast idea -we suggested they contact their third party bookers and give them the correct info to avoid other guests being as deeply disappointed as we were, but got only a weak half-smile in response. It could be such a great place with a totally wonderful experience if not for the second-class citizens third party booking guests!

Room Tip: Room 1003 has a wonderful skyline view with 2 queen beds, beautiful, relaxing blue decor.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank NatureLover54
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2011

The rooms are very small and in top of that they haven put a plasma or HD TV. The bed move because the legs are not very strong. The rooms are not ugly but it will be nice to put a plasma TV.

• Stayed November 2011