“Wonderful Hotel, Wonderful Caring Staff (thanks, Tom!), Great Location”

Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast
Ranked #117 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Denver, Colorado
“Wonderful Hotel, Wonderful Caring Staff (thanks, Tom!), Great Location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2011

I had the pleasure of staying here during Memorial Day weekend, and I'm glad I did. Booked this through a travel site and was excited that it was the Indigo, as co-workers (in Denver) have stayed here before and raved about it.

Even my stupidity could be overcome -- I pride myself on being a "good guest," not showing up hours before check-in and being knowledgeable about the hotel area. So silly me, even after seeing us outfly horrible storms into Chicago, decided to kill time in downtown (shopping, parade etc) and then head up to Gold Coast (grocery shopping for in-room drinks-snacks, fruit etc). By the time I finished, it was pouring rain outside but hey savvy-traveler me knew the hotel was only 2.5 blocks away -- which woulda been great had I not looked at Clark St in reverse and instead headed south (thinking I was going north) and then west (thinking i was going eat). Made for a 10+ block walk (wrong way and back to hotel) in pouring rain with luggage, backpack and groceries.

When pathetic me, looking like a transient person (all wet and disheveled), entered the hotel, Tom Hilton at the front desk greeted me (I'm sure I was quite the spectacle). I was till a few minutes before official checkin time and the room type I was entitled wouldnt be ready right away but I was first on the list, Tom assured. I was fine with that, knowing I had a great rate and that i was early (I'm a reasonable traveler, nonsmoking room as I have allergies is my main requirement).

The next thing i knew, Mr. Hilton was giving me my room key, I asked when I should head up there (thinking Id need to wait in the lobby a little) and he said go right up. I was amazed that he was so accommodating. It was greatly appreciated as some dry clothes were definitely needed after all that traveling and the rainstorm/mess.

In general the room was great...yes they're a bit smallish but in line with Chicago and dont forget this building was built years ago as apartments/hotel so rooms cant be adjusted. In fact the recent renovations maximize the space for guests in my opinion ; it reminded me a bit of the Intercontinental in that regard. It was plenty big for me, extremely comfy bed, great art-deco decor and design, very well thought out in terms of amenities, guest needs (for example: the tray for goodies like snacks was great touch for breakfast or a meal in bed). Loved the hardwood floors too. The free in-room wifi was great in planning my Chicago out-and-abouts -- the free computer internet and printer in the basement was quite helpful for printing important stuff (boarding pass, directions, bus schedules, restaurant coupons etc) and was a nice touch.

The staff was just very upbeat, warm and welcoming all the way around. Tom was awesome -- he even called after my checkin to see if everything was alright. The other front-desk folks was wonderful/friendly -- Lissa in particular. Also, housekeeping staff was awesome -- I actually didnt get housekeeping on all days, but the one on my floor was so nice; when she saw me coming from a distance, she even pressed the elevator button so there'd not be a wait (and the elevators are fast regardless). How thoughtful!

When I get back to Chicago, this hotel will definitely be on my radar. Thanks to Tom and staff for an absolutely wonderful stay.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Thai first
Apple Valley, MN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2011

This was my third time staying at the Indigo. I always use the Priceline "Name Your Own Price" option and I know that I always get the hotel WAY under market value. But, I always feel that I am being a little bit shunned because I booked through a discounter. If the Indigo doesn't like third party bookers, they shouldn't partner with them.

Anyway, when we checked in the room wasn't ready. We asked how much it would cost to upgrade from a room with a Queen bed to a room with a King. She said the cost would be $30. We put our suitcases in the storage room and left for four hours. When we returned and checked-in, the cost to upgrade to a room with a King bed suddenly shot up to $75. I guess this is the only thing I don't like about the Indigo. I have the feeling if the entire hotel was empty and the guest booked through a third party, you would be assigned to the most undesirable room they have. ( That's my opinion, for what it's worth.)

We LOVE the location of this hotel and the entire place is visually VERY unique and attractive. There is a Keurig coffee maker in the room and NO CARPET! A hotel room feels so much cleaner without carpet. And, it also feels a little European, too! We loved the free internet, also.

Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
San Francisco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2011

This hotel has a lot going for it, including its nice, quiet Gold Coast location, the friendly staff., and a well equipped fitness center. The rooms come with free WiFi (which worked well), a Keurig coffeemaker, and Aveda toiletries. Beds aren't the best out there but they aren't hard either.

What some might find disappointing with the rooms is that there is no mini-bar/fridge, no flat screen TV's, and no bath tub (shower stall). Sleeping in (I was here on a weekend) was also a challenge due to the automatic slamming doors.

All in all, I wouldn't mind coming back if the price was right.

Room Tip: The Jimmy John's sandwich shop around the corner has great food, prices and staff.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Travel Richly
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2011

I recently met a friend in Chicago to celebrate her 30th birthday and we stayed at the Hotel Indigo. We had a great experience and I will definitely stay there again in the future. The hotel is charming, the staff is friendly, and the rooms are spacious. The best feature in my opinion though is its location. We took the ‘L’ directly from Midway and got off literally a block from the hotel. We later took the ‘L’ to Wrigley Field and it could not have been easier. It’s a really short and very safe walk from the hotel to Old Town where we enjoyed the restaurants and bars without having to worry about paying for a cab. The walk to Michigan Ave., Navy Pier, and Grant Park is not bad at all on a nice day. I have stayed just off of Michigan Ave. in the past and much preferred staying in a quieter and less crowded neighborhood. I can’t wait to go back!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2011

We stayed at Hotel Indigo on a long weekend over the Fourth of July! We could not have been more satisfied with our decision. From the moment of check-in on a hot day with cucumber water, to checking in to a very nice sized room, to the convenience to the train going to the Cubs game! After the game we were able to come back to the hotel to relax before venturing out to Old Town. There are a lot of great trendy areas walking distance from the hotel and we were able to enjoy quite a few that evening.

We will definitely stay at Hotel Indigo Chicago again....hopefully sooner rather than later!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2011

We stayed here for the weekend after visiting clients and let me tell you, Hotel Indigo Chicago nailed it for my business and leisure needs. The location is perfect, close to the trains, beaches, the loop and Mag. Mile. We were able to see the city by walking, instead of taking cabs. The service was excellent from the doorman to housekeeping and everyone else. Great colors throughout and nice fitness area with spa services. We will be back for sure!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2011

The moment you pull up on this beautifully tree lined street, you find you have discovered a hidden treasure. Entering the fabulous 'beach style' lobby you are greeted with the warmest of welcomes from a knowledgeable, courteous and obviously happy staff. The rooms are spacious, meticulously clean, bright and cheerful with a bed you don't want to get out of! Starting the day off with a refreshing spa shower complete with Aveda products, healthy restaurant options and Starbucks coffee, you are ready for a short but lovely walk to the office in downtown Chicago. Conveniently nearby are numerous restaurants offering everything Chicago has to offer. If shopping is on your list...and it should be....the upscale shops (Tiffany, Ralph Lauren, Anne Fontaine, Nike, etc) are located within walking distance. You can also stroll along Lake Michigan and enjoy a lovely sunrise or sunset.

I highly recommend this beautiful 'urban oasis' hotel. In addition, I recieve IHG Priority Club Reward points every time I stay :-)

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business