“This is my home away from home and the staff is like family.”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago-Downtown
Ranked #50 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Mustang
“This is my home away from home and the staff is like family.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2010

Homewood Suites Downtown Chicago is in a great location and the staff is great! I have watched the staff treat first time guests just like those who have stayed many times, offering directions, suggestions for dining, transportation schedules. The hotel is located close to everything downtown and walking isn't far to most places for eating, shopping or tourist spots. The hotel itself is warm and comfortable, the rooms offer a homey atmosphere with your own kitchen separate bedrooms, two TV's, wake up service, etc. To name everyone at the hotel who have made my stays welcome would be difficult; from the Bell Hop and Valet Services who greet you before you even enter the door to Management, Sales, Guest Services, the Dining Room staff, Housekeeping and Maintenance everyone smiles and wants to do something for you. I have spent the past several years traveling for business in the Chicago area with most of my stays at this hotel. I have also stayed here several times for pleasure with family and friends. In the past three years they have become my family away from home.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Innkeeper64, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago-Downtown, responded to this review, December 31, 2010
Dear valued guest,

I don't think anything is more gratifying for me than to hear that you are made to feel like family here. The staff here feels the same way. Homewood Suites really has the best guests anywhere and I am a well travelled hotel manager. Building relationships is what the staff here enjoys the most.

Thank you again and we look forward to continuing to have you as our guest.

Homewood Suites Chicago

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2010

This is a nice hotel. It has a pool but no hot tub. There is an exercise room with 2 treadmills, weights, recumbent bike, and some sort of elliptical type thing. The pool is hit or miss on crowding. On Fri at 8PM there was no one there but us, but on Sun at 1030AM it was too crowded for my daughter to want to swim. On Sun at 1140AM it was empty. It goes from 3 feet to 4.5 feet.
The room has a living room/kitchen with table seating for 2. There is a 2 burner stove, good size microwave, almost full size fridge, coffeemaker, and 2 slice toaster. There is a separate bedroom with king bed and a full bath off of that. I did notice some little imperfections (toilet paper holder slightly bent, luggage rack looks a little worn), but in general the room is clean and in good repair.
There is a breakfast buffet (7-10 on weekends and 630-930 on weekdays). So far they have had eggs, bacon or sausage, potatoes, corned beef hash, grits, fruit, toast/bagels to toast, and tea/coffee/juice/milk. They have takeout containers so you can take breakfast back to the room. Tip for this, I brought down one of those plastic bags you get from the store and it was really helpful for carrying the food back. Usually I end up juggling the containers and drinks and everything in the elevator. The elevators were really crowded on Sun AM, but otherwise have not been bad.
You enter on the 1st floor (there is valet parking which I think was about $40-50/day, but it was included in our room rate so I don’t remember exactly). I’m pretty sure there are in and out privileges, but we are not driving again until we check out. There are several restaurants within a block or so of the hotel, and Nordstroms is right across Grand Ave (the other entrance to the Nordstroms Mall is on Michigan Ave). We walked to Navy Pier and it took about 30 min or so (not rushing and running into the parade on Michigan making us have to backtrack). We took the bus up to Water Tower Place, but it was certainly walkable, we just felt like taking the bus.
The staff has been pleasant. The guy who parked our car has called me by name every time we have come back to the hotel (just saying hi). In fact last night when we came in he said “Hi Mrs X” (using my last initial) which was a little disconcerting, but did not offend me. I don’t know if that familiarity would offend others or not.
There are a lot of families with kids staying here, but they have been generally well behaved and well supervised. Several times my daughter went to the pool and it was empty except for her, which doesn’t happen often in hotels we stay at.
We did have a slight problem on checkout. On the receipt they put under the door for express checkout they charged me for parking, which was supposed to be included in my rate. However, when I took it down to the desk and told them they immediately changed it with no argument and apologized, so I certainly can’t hold it against them. All we lost was the express checkout. They also let us leave our car in the garage until 5 or 6 PM on our check out day at no extra charge. Overall, I would certainly recommend this hotel.

Dear valued guest,

Thank you very much for submitting a detailed review of your stay complete with useful tips. I'm sure other travelers will find this useful. I'm glad to see you took advantage of our location and it seems you enjoyed your time in Chicago.

Thank you again and Happy New Year.

Moline, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2010

I called on December 6th, 2010 at 3 p.m. to book a room for an upcoming weekend getaway, and was taken aback when the phone was picked up and promptly hung up without a word. Thinking this might have been a simple mistake, I gave it another try. A woman introducing herself as "Toni" answered the phone, rushed through her introduction, sounding incredibly bored and annoyed that she had to answer the phone. Barely letting a second go by after her introduction, she gave a snotty "Hello?!" before I could open my mouth and tell her "Never mind." Never has a hotel answered my call so rudely. I'd like to give the hotel the benefit of the doubt and pin this unpleasant experience to "Toni"; however I will not be calling back again in hopes to stay at this hotel during this trip.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BradleyBee
Innkeeper64, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago-Downtown, responded to this review, December 7, 2010
Dear caller,

I am very sorry you had this difficult experience trying to make a reservation with us. I was somewhat surprised as Toni receives consistently very positive feedback from our guests. It is possible that she was having trouble hearing you over the connection but I will bring this to her attention as I know this is not the impression that she would want to leave with a prospective guest.

Thank you for the feedback and I hope that you do enjoy your time in Chicago.

Miami
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2010

This hotel offers very spacious one-bedroom suite accommodations with separate bedrooms and a fully-equipped kitchen allowing for private dining and cooking. The week night offering of an evening meal with complimentary beer and wine is a definite draw. The staff at this hotel are very friendly. The offer of a free hot breakfast and evening meal is so cool. This hotel is superbly located right in the middle of the North Bridge area of the Magnificent Mile. I like this hotel and I love Chicago!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank ANAMAMiami
Innkeeper64, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago-Downtown, responded to this review, December 6, 2010
Dear valued guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts about your stay with us. I appreciate that you mentioned our staff and our location as I consider those to be two of our greatest attributes. More importantly it seems you enjoyed your entire Chicago experience.

Thank you again and I hope you consider us should you return to Chicago.

Normal, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2010

My family stayed for one night on Thanksgiving Day. It was a great deal for us. We found the Park-and-Play deal on Homewood Suites' own website so we paid only $25 on valet parking. Overall the stay was great. We enjoyed the free breakfast and dinner. Most hotels don't offer free dinners, let alone free beer and wine!

The room was clean and the kitchen was great for heating up food for our baby. It was also quiet at night. The location is great and the hotel is warm and cozy overall. We will definitely stay here again!

Dear valued guest,

Thank you so much for reviewing your recent stay and thank you for spending the holiday with us. It was nice to see many families staying with us that week. I'm glad that you were able to take advantage of our special value and that you enjoyed your time with us.

Thank you again and I hope we have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Bloomington, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2010

Stayed one night at this hotel while attending the magnificent mile lights festival. We had a one bedroom suite with a king bed and a sofa sleeper. The room was big and roomy as well as the bathroom. The kitchen was big and well equipped. The decor is very outdated and needs a bit of a face lift, but the place is clean and the service was great. My 13 year old daughter and her friend loved the pool on the top floor which is surrounded by floor to ceiling windows and has a great view of the city, especially when swimming at night. The beds were very comfortable, the only negative was that I heard several sirens during the night that woke me once or twice, but hey, you are in downtown Chicago.

The location was excellent. To get to Michigan ave we simply walked across the street to Nordstroms and cut through the North Bridge mall to bring us right out to Michigan Ave. You can also walk one block and take the steps up to Michigan ave as well. It was so easy to go back and forth and do what we wanted but go relax and get warm whenever we needed to.

They had movies you could rent to watch on the living room TV. Pricey (most were $12.99) but all newer releases or some still in theaters. You could also rent games to play and the controllers are already connected to the television.

There is a PF Chang Chinese restaurant across the street which we enjoyed for dinner that night, excellent food!!

I would definitely stay here again in a heartbeat!!

1 Thank lawheel
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your stay with us and for the kind comments. Your comment about the decor design is certainly noted as we continue with our renovation cycle. Thank you for noting that the furnishings are clean and well maintained.

I noted your familiarity with the tricks for walking around the area which showed me you made good use of our location. That was nice to see.

Thank you again for your feedback and I do hope we have the opportunity to serve you in the future.

Southfield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2010

I've stayed at the HWS, 30+ nights this year for business. It's the standard I expect when I travel on business, but it also exceeded my expectations for a combined family vacation/business trip.

Last week I brought my wife and son along with me for this business trip. The staff was exceptionally friendly and personal to all of us, all the way from the Assistant Sales Manager to the doorman. The assistant sales manager welcomed my family personally at our room with a personalized card and suggestions to take our 2 year-old son. Also, the free breakfast and "welcome reception" are a nice touch for families that don't want to splurge everyday during a long business trip a

I could go on and on, but the staff here is like no other in downtown Chicago.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Dear valued guest,

It is always nice to receive feedback from a regular guest. I really appreciate that you took the time to share your thoughts. I also appreciate your specific mention of some of our staff members. That means a lot to them.

It is our pleasure to have you as our guest and we look forward to continuing to serve you.