“Great Suite Downtown”

Ranked #49 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
southern california
“Great Suite Downtown”
Reviewed July 24, 2010

We were traveling with our teenage son so we try to look for suites when we can. We've had good luck with Homewood Suites as well as most Embassy suites. In this case the location was excellent and it was a little less then the Embassy Suites. Everything was like new and comfortable. The staff was nice. Like all downtown hotels it's still expensive but not more than anything else that's decent. The breakfast was good, though a little crowded. Again, if you are not used to it be ready to pay dearly for valet parking and help with your luggage. The only problem we had was that we got some poor advice about how long the wait would be at some of the nearby restaurants. It was the 4th of July weekend and the city was really crowded so maybe it was worse than it would normally be. Get restaurant reservatiions early when you can to be safe. From the hotel we walked to Millinium Park and the Art Institue to the south. Walked north up the magnificent mile to the Hancock building. Walked east to the Navy Pier. Good location.
Note: of all the things we did we enjoyed the architechural boat tour on the river the most.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Innkeeper64, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago-Downtown, responded to this review, August 10, 2010
Dear valued guest,

Thank you very much for your review of your recent stay here. So you survived the crazy holiday weekend in Chicago. It is a lot of fun but busier than most weekends. I am pleased to see that you made the most of our great location. I'm sorry that we misled you regarding that volume at some of the restaurants. I think we were all a little surprised by the downtown traffic.

Thank you again for your time and I hope we have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Homewood Suites Chicago

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (408)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Hershey, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 22, 2010

We stayed at Homewood suites July 9th-11th. The hotel was a little tricky to find, just a small red awning to mark the entrance. The entrance is not much to look at but don't let that deter you. The main check in is on the 6th floor and is very nice looking. The layout of the room was great. Plenty of room, a living room area, a kitchen area, a table. Plus the bedroom/bathroom. The beds were comfortable. Showers had good pressure. Toilets flushed well.

The subway system is only a block away. It's the red line 'grand' stop. There are plenty of sites and restaurants within walking distance (P.F. Changs, Rock Bottom, Shaw's Crab Shack (great!!), the Lux Cafe, just to name a few). Completely walkable to the Magnificent Mile. We walked to the Architecture walking tour meeting place, the Art institute, and The John Hancock Observatory. We took a cab to Zanies to see some stand up comedy, the cab was about $10. We also took a cab to the United Center for about $15. Also, about $40 cab ride from/to the airport. It was very convenient.

We had breakfast two times at Homewood. It was good. Adequate for breakfast. Eggs, pastries, bacon/ sausage, fruit, cereal. We did go to West Egg for breakfast one morning, which is about 4 blocks away. Also, very good (if you want more options for breakfast). We did not have dinner at Homewood, so I can't speak to the quality of dinner.

The staff downstair were great. Very helpful with getting cabs and offering advice. One gentleman recognized us every time we passed. He talked with us about our plans and offered very helpful advice. Really excellent service.

We were able to use the computers and print our flight boarding passes for our trip home at no extra charge. Comfortable computer room.

The only drawbacks: I would have liked a second sink for the room/bathroom area. The elevators were very crowded in the morning. The breakfast area where the food is located is a bit small (but the staff were very good about crowd management).

Overall, I thought this was a great hotel for sightseeing as a couple or with family.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us and I do appreciate the great detail. I'm sure this will be useful for others. I really enjoy reading reviews such as yours that show how much people took advantage of all that Chicago has to offer. It looks like you really made the most of it.

I hope there were some things you missed and you have to come back and see us again.

Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed July 21, 2010

Our family stayed here for 9 nights in May. Overall, I'm very pleased with hotel. The rate was great ($ 139 per). The suite was very spacious, it had a separate living room and a bedroom, and a kitchenette. The kitchenette was very useful. Every appliance (dishwasher, 2-burner stove, refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker) functioned properly. We didn't encounter any problems during our stay. A flatscreen tv in both rooms was a plus.

The location is perfect, if you want explore the city. River North is a great neighborhood. Michigan Avenue was about two blocks away, Nordstrom and the Shops at Northbridge mall was across the street. Shopping options are limitless in downtown Chicago, the Mag Mile was excellent, as was Macy's on State Street in the Loop. It was an easy walk to the Loop across the river. A Red Line subway stop was one block to the west on Grand Avenue. Jewel Osco (grocery store) was one block away from the hotel, and it was convenient to buy groceries there and keep the refrigerator stocked.

The clerk at the check-in was professional, friendly and welcoming. The personnel in the dining room was friendly when we went to the complimentary breakfast. Housekeeping did a great job. Overall, the personnel did a very good job.

Often hotel elevators work only with a keycard. Not with this property, anybody could enter the elevator and use it. But there were always hotel personnel downstairs near the elevator entrance, and we didn't see any unwanted characters wandering in the hotel. But I would prefer a keycard system for the elevator or something like that. During busier times the hotel could use some more elevators.

Overall, Chicago is a great city, and this hotel is a reasonably priced, good quality hotel.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Uskottumies
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your recent stay with us. I appreciate that you mentioned some of the extra amenities and value that we offer. It looks also like you took advantage of the great location and put in some foot miles.

Thank you again and I hope we have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

San Diego, California
Reviewed July 20, 2010

Great Location. Comfortable, Spacious Room. Great View. Decent Food. Incredible Service. I travel frequently and HIGHLY recommend this hotel.

Dear valued guest,

Thank you for taking time to review your recent stay with us and for the very nice tag line. I will definitely share that with the staff as I believe it speaks to their efforts. They take a great deal of pride in what they do and I really do appreciate you noting that.

York, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 19, 2010

I clearly see why the Homewood Suites Chicago is ranked #1 for their OUTSTANDING customer service and all that is offered for the price of the room not to mention the location, which is right in the center of EVERYTHING – one block from Michigan Avenue.

We were greeted by a friendly man who helped unload our car (many bags of different sizes for a family of 4 including an infant) and helped us decide on valet parking. The difference to self -park was $4 a day. I figured the $20 for our 5-day trip was worth not having to deal with parking the car ourselves. Once we got into our one-room suite we called and our bags were brought up in 5 minutes. As many posts have mentioned, there is plenty of room including a full refrigerator, microwave, and dishwasher all was helpful in preparing baby food. We asked for a crib and a high chair, which were both brought up by the evening.

The food offering was the best we’ve experienced before as complementary. The breakfast included a hot buffet of eggs, potatoes, French toast, biscuits with sausage gravy, bacon and sausage. Some days they had a waffle iron and others they had oatmeal. Fresh fruit, cereals, toast, muffins, and a variety of juices were available as well as quality tasting coffee. There certainly was no reason to stop at any of the Starbucks that were on just about every corner of Chicago. Dinners were new to us especially the complimentary beer and wine. Our first night included delicious meatloaf, mashed potatoes, mixed veggies, and fresh vegetables to make a salad. Other guests came in having no idea this was included and cancelled dinner reservations. I hope this gives you enough of an idea of what to expect for food. Coffee was available in the lobby all day.

The only things I would improve about this hotel are cosmetic. The bathroom showed signs of aging. There was no blower in the bathroom and the bottom of the bathroom door would not close all of the way. There was apparently some old damage due to water. Also, the pull out couch was tough to pull out. It showed signs of age. Some people complain about the elevators, but I found it to be reasonable. Many busy hotels have waits for elevators.

Overall, this was an outstanding hotel and one that I will return to on future trips to Chicago.

1 Thank whpiman
Dear valued guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent stay with us. Thank you also for providing such great detail. I really like to see when our guests take advantage of all that we offer (that's why it's there)

Thank you again and I do hope that you consider us for future visits to Chicago.

Mendham, New Jersey
Reviewed July 18, 2010

Based on all the great reviews, I think my expectations were too high for this hotel. It's certainly clean and the breakfast was a plus. However, if you generally stay in better hotels, this hotel will be really disappointing. I should have known based on the good price we got ($188 a night AAA rate), but the reviews and the website were both so good, I thought I was getting a much higher end hotel for a bargain of a price. While the staff tries really hard and is very friendly, the services and amenities at the hotel are really lacking. We arrived at 10 pm when the hotel was relatively quiet but our bags did not make it up to the room for close to an hour (and only after I called twice and offered to come get my kids' bags so I could change them into pjs and put them to sleep). My young son wet the bed during an afternoon nap and I called the front desk to advise them and ask for it to be cleaned as we were leaving the room at 4:30 and would return later that evening. When we arrived back in the room at night around 10 pm, no one had come to change the bed sheets and the front desk told me that they had forgotten about it. We again waited about an hour for someone to come a change the sheets (again only after I called 4 times and offered to come get the sheets myself to change the bed so that I could put my kids to sleep). The hotel comped us a night’s stay for the hassle. The pool area is in need of repair and only sometimes had towels stocked. Each time I called for towels it took at least an hour for someone to come. Our shampoo was not regularly restocked and we ran out on the last night of our stay. We called the front desk and asked for more shampoo, which the front desk advised would be outside our door by morning -- it never arrived. The bedroom is too tight as is the bathroom. The living area is spacious. All in all, while this is a neat, clean and very reasonably priced hotel, if you like amenities and service at all, this hotel will disappoint.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Liz1030
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. While I am pleased that our guests have given our product and service such positive reviews I am disappointed that it led you to think you were getting a different type of product than we actually are.

We are a more moderately priced hotel that strives to offer very friendly service and great value. That being said, I did note some experiences that you described during your stay that we should have done a much better job with. Prompt follow-up and ownership of service is something that we pride ourselves in and I see there were times that we did not come through for you.

I am sorry for that and I do appreciate that you brought it to my attention. Thank you again for your time.

Warwick, New York
Reviewed July 18, 2010

As soon as you enter the hotel, the aroma of cinnamon & apples surrounds you . There is certainly a small town feel to this large hotel located in 1 of the best cities in the world.Staff are attentive and courteous, and will assist you with whatever your needs may be. The location is excellent, with many restaurants & shops within walking distance. Our room was equipped with a full kitchen which would make it a great situation for a family who may not want to spend a ton of money on city meals. Additionally, a generous breakfast is served every morning; dinner ( beer & wine included) is served Mondays-Thursdays. There is a server named Connie, who goes out of her way to make you feel special. She went above & beyond to make our stay as comfortable as she possibly could. What an outstanding woman & assett to this establishment! I would highly recommend this hotel, particulary if you are traveling with children. By the way, the hotel does have a pool & gym which I did not use, but heard good things about.

Dear valued guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent stay with us. Thank you also for mentioning Connie. I look forward to sharing your comments with her. It will make her day. I'm glad to see also that you were able to take advantage of our location.

Thank you again and I hope we have the opportunity to serve you in the future.

General manager