“Exceeded my expectations.”

Ranked #51 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Fairview Park, Ohio
“Exceeded my expectations.”
Reviewed May 7, 2010

I regularly stay in hotels for business, usually for weeks at a time. And Homewood Suites in Chicago really set the bar high. The entire staff at Homewood Chicago was extremely welcoming, accomodating, and went above and beyond to meet my needs. During my 5 week stay, every member of their staff was pleasant and friendly- from bell stand, to front desk, to housekeeping. I highly recommend this hotel for its great downtown location, nearby attractions, and excellent accomodations.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Innkeeper64, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago-Downtown, responded to this review, May 12, 2010
Dear valued guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to complete a review of your stay. It is especially meaningful coming from someone who was here for a long stay because we really do try to make this a home away from home.

I hope while you were here you also got to enjoy all Chicago has to offer.

Thank you again and I hope we have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Homewood Suites Chicago

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (409)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Munich, Germany
Reviewed May 6, 2010

The hotel and the room amenities are very good. Prefer higher rooms, since the elevator arrives first. The front desk personal (Lorena, Jessica, Lisa) are great people and always ready to make you feel at home. Breakfasts are wonderful and the workers are very friendly. Congratulations!!!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Raphael D
Innkeeper64, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago-Downtown, responded to this review, May 7, 2010
Dear Valued Guest,

It was nice to start my Friday reading about how you enjoyed your stay here. Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback and in particular, mentioning individual staff members. They work very hard and it is nice for them to "see their names in lights".

I hope you enjoyed the rest of your visit to downtown Chicago and we would love to serve you again should you return.

Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed May 1, 2010

While stranded in Chicago for 6 days due to the Iceland volcano activity, one of your staff went above and beyond her job description to see to it that I was well cared for. Her name is Connie Wilson - and she was my angel! My luggage had been lost in transit to Chicago by the airline, and I arrived at the hotel with minimal personal items. Connie helped me secure some basic things to get me started. Connie even gave me a bus pass so that I could easily travel out to the airport to check on my lost baggage! Every day Connie would check in with me to make sure I had all that I needed. She was always so kind and willing to listen! Her help and kind generosity and assistance really turned my stressful ordeal into a manageable stay! Heartfelt thanks to Connie!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
Innkeeper64, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago-Downtown, responded to this review, May 4, 2010
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind comments. I know you were confronted with a very difficult situation and I am happy that we were able to make it more comfortable for you.

I would most like to thank you for noting a particular member of our staff. Our staff is our greatest asset and Connie really is a great example of that. It will be wonderful for her to see her name mentioned.

Thank you again and I am glad you finally returned home safely.

Reviewed April 29, 2010

Stayed at this Homewood suites for a short break. Staff appeared to be really concerned with your satisfaction, and complemented that with a friendly and down to earth attitude. The only problem I encountered is that the A/C did not cool, due to the exterior temps being around 40 degrees. But the room was stuffy and warm and when the window was opened, the noise from the outside was too much. So I didn't get much of a restful sleep. Maybe should visit here when the A/C is turned on, like during the summer. But then, will the a/c cool the room sufficiently if the outside temps are hot?

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank alank1101
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your stay. I very much appreciate the kind words about our staff. It is always enjoyable for me to share comments such as these with them.

Thank you also for mentioning the issue with the room cooling. Generally when the outdoor temperatures reach the low 40's the building cools naturally and guests can heat their rooms if necessary. This does not seem to have functioned properly during your stay which we will follow up on. I hope the issue with the room temperature did not detract from your enjoyment of Chicago.

Thank you again and I hope that we will have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 26, 2010

We were stranded in Chicago for 9 days by the Icelandic volcano and couldn't have found a better, or more comfortable hotel. We were travelling with our daughter so the suite was ideal, the hotel staff were second to none, friendly, helpful and extremely professional. Cooked buffet breakfasts were delicious, as were the complimentary dinners 4 nights a week including wine and beer. The location was superb with many famous restaurants, bars and nightclubs within walking. distance. The business centre gym and pool are added bonus, as were the quiet rooms and kitchen facilities(complimentary popcorn!)

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank stranded27
Innkeeper64, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago-Downtown, responded to this review, April 27, 2010
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for the kind thoughts. We had several guests who found themselves in the same predicament.

It was really a privilege for us to host families who were caught by this unfortunate circumstance. It made my day to see that we made you feel at home and that you were able to enjoy Chicago. Most people don't get to enjoy our wonderful city for a long stay but it looks like you made the best of a difficult situation.

Thank you again for the comments and I hope that we have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Charlotte, NC
Reviewed April 25, 2010

I was in Chicago for a conference over a weekend in late April. I chose to stay here (and not at the conference hotel which is a 10 minute walk) because my family and I have stayed here before and had a great experience. And the price was very reasonable, $129 for a 1 BR suite.

This hotel is located in the heart of Chicago. It is only 1 block from the subway and 2 blocks from the famous Michigan Avenue. Navy Pier is about ½ mile away, but certainly walk-able on a nice day. If not, buses or trolleys are easy to catch.

Hotel Amenities
Check in was quick and easy. Parking at the hotel and anywhere downtown is very expensive, so I highly recommend getting a very affordable public transportation pass so you can take buses and trains (including to/from airport) everywhere.

The hotel has a pool, workout room and laundry facilities. As with all Homewood Suites, breakfasts are good and free. There is also free good food in the evenings Monday through Thursdays. There is not hotel restaurant but tons of restaurants are within a few blocks.

Accommodation
I stayed in a 1-BR suite by myself so had lots of room. It had a kitchen with full-size refrigerator, granite cook top, coffee maker and microwave. Furniture and décor were not fancy but pleasantly adequate. Bed was quite comfortable. There were flat-panel TVs in the living room and bedroom. Room was clean and everything was in working order. Wi-Fi / wired Internet was reasonably fast and free. There was no safe in the room.

I did not notice any noise from the hall, especially if I closed the bedroom door at night. Noise that came from outside (e.g. police sirens and cars honking) was an unavoidable part of being in any major city.

Summary
This is my favorite hotel in Chicago. Prices are very reasonable, especially given the size of the accommodation, location, and amenities. It is a great place to stay for families and business people alike. I would not hesitate to stay here again next time I am in Chicago.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank KermitNC
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time you review your stay with us and for the kind comments. It is especially meaningful for us to receive reviews from guests who have stayed with us before.

I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and I hope that we have an opportunity to serve you again in the future.

So Cal
Reviewed April 23, 2010

All of the previous positive reviews of this hotel were quite accurate. We just spent a week in Chicago for a vacation travelling with two kids, one of whom is just a toddler.

This hotel met our needs perfectly as it is in a very central location: Just a block from the metro Red Line and a few blocks (cutting through the mall across the street) to the Magnificent Mile and all the bus lines available. We avoided the $42/day valet fee and just used those funds and the car rental funds to pay for our airport shuttle and transit passes. We came out well ahead that way. This hotel also comes with a microwave, stovetop, toaster and full refrigerator. It also comes with a daily breakfast consisting of scrambled eggs, potatoes, sausage/bacon, cut and whole fruits, bagels, etc. And on Monday through Thursday they provide what they call a light meal from 5pm-7pm. This was something simple like make your own fajitas one night or pasta marinara another night. As another reviewer commented, it is free and if you don't care for it, simply head out and get something else. The hotel is literally within a block of multiple restaurants including PF Changs, Buca di Beppo, ESPN Sports Zone, Pizzeria Uno, a food court in the Nordstrom mall across the street (which oddly seemed to shut down around 6pm) and a bunch of fairly high end looking steak houses and other restaurants. If you want to use the kitchen facilities in the room there was an Osco Jewel affiliated full grocery store a block and a half away to the west.

The staff was extremely helpful. They front desk staff were always extremely helpful and took note that we were a family and catered their advice to us based on this. I was surprised when I mentioned food allergy concerns and they whipped out a list of restaurants in the area that would be preferred. They also gave us great tips on using public transportation in the area and simply navigating Downtown.

The hotel itself is a bit old but seemed to fit in to the area as Chicago is an old city. There were some quirks about the room such as the dishwasher not draining fully or the doors to the bedroom being a little off center but nothing we could not live with. Interestingly, the hotel lobby is on the 6th floor and the rooms continue all the way up to the 19th floor. We never figured out what occupied floors 1-5. The 19th floor also housed the swimming pool and small fitness center. The swimming pool had a fairly panoramic view of the northwest and southwest ends of the hotel. We intentionally chose a corner room on the opposite end (southeast corner) which had views of the Trump Tower and Hancock Building. There are many other tall buildings in Downtown so do not expect a great skyline view but it was still great for the kids to look our at day or night.

Overall, this hotel gave us great access to all the sights we wanted to see with all the ammenities we needed at a price we were very happy with. What more could we ask for?

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank TeamIguana
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your trip to Chicago. Thank you for the kind thoughts about our staff as well. That means alot to them to read that.

I must say that I am very impressed with how you conquered Chicago using trains, buses and shuttles. It looks like you had a great time and I'm glad we could be a part of that.