We are a family of four with teen kids and stayed for 9 nights here: it was really a home away from home. The location could not be better. Within walking distance of the Navy Pier, the Hancock Tower, Millennium Park, the Art Institute, the Magnificent Mile, Willis Tower and all the wonderful stores and restaurants that you could ever want to visit. Wrigley Field, Adler planetarium, Shedd Aquarium and Field Museum are all accesible by hailing one of the infinite supply of taxis available everywhere or by walking around the corner for the subway station (Red Line). If you plan to go to the Museum of Science and Industry you should take the subway and a bus ride since it is considerably farther away. A taxi will cost you over $20 to get you there.
TA short three block walk to Gino's East Pizza for the bountiful Meaty Legend or to Al's Beef for the famous Italian beef are required. (For a truly unforgettable Chicago experience you HAVE to go Deep Dish in pizza at Gino's and dunk the Italian beef sandwich at Al's). Two grocery stores around the corner: Trader Joe and Jewel Osco will take care of every grocery need for you. Walgreens is a couple blocks away. Of course, you will not be cooking all that much at this place since you have a complimentary buffet daily breakfast and an evening reception (Monday to Thursday) to take care of you. The food is not memorable but it does the job nicely. Scrambled eggs, sausage, potatoes or biscuit, hot and cold cereals, fruits, yogurt, bagels, bread, pastries and do-it-yourself waffles. Evening reception dinner is more limited but adequate.
The suite is not spacious as other similar type of hotels but was good enough for us. We stayed on a King Suite on a corner of the building,1904, with a splendid view of the Intercontinental hotel with its lighted dome to the East, the Hancock Tower to the north and the Trump Tower to the South. The sofa bed barely fits in the room when it is open. The mattress is in poor condition and uncomfortable. Asked the front desk for a replacement and they brought a two inch foam top that did the trick. The kitchen is well equipped. Microwave, coffee maker with complimentary coffee, full size refrigerator with freezer and ice maker, toaster, two-burner stove top, plenty of storage space, all the utensils, pots and pans, sink with garbage disposal and automatic dishwasher. The maid comes every day, makes up the room and does the dishes. Super excellent service. The room was clean and the bathroom was impeccable with a tub and shower separate from the sink for privacy. The bedroom has a door also for privacy although the lock does not work. Iron, ironing board, hair blower available in the room also. Limited TV options but there is a DVD player in the living room area. Never used it. Plenty of power sockets for charging all your electronics. I certainly would have preferred to have a safe in the room.
There is an indoor pool on the 19th floor: 4 feet deep at its deeper end. Good for the kids. Visited the fitness center every day. Also on the 19th. It has two treadmill machines, one recumbent pedaling machine and an elliptical machine. All very good. There are dumbbells for all your needs (up to 70 pounds), an adjustable bench, a Home Gym and various medicine balls. You can get your workout done although the room is rather small. With five to six people working out at the same time it feels crowded. There are complimentary single use headphones available.
There is a small convenience store besides the front desk. It does the job. You can buy the single use laundry detergent packets here. There is a coin operated guest laundry on the 7th floor with two washing machines and two dryers. All cost $1.50 and there is no change machine. You have to take the stairs to the 6th to ask for change at the front desk.
All said, the staff is friendly, helpful, courteous and their best asset. Definitely will be staying here again when we return to Chicago.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Your downtown Chicago experience begins here, welcome to the Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown. Our location places you within walking distance to the Magnificent Mile, world-class restaurants and the infamous Chicago attractions. Where service is nothing short of extraordinary, the Homewood Suites family will welcome your every request. All of our guests will enjoy the following amenities,•Spacious, Newly Renovated two-room King suite with separate living, sleeping areas and fully equipped kitchens •Complimentary daily hot breakfast buffet •Complimentary Monday through Thursday Dinner Reception, meal with beer, wine and soda •Complimentary high-speed Wireless Internet access throughout the Hotel •Complimentary executive business center with high-speed Internet access •Complimentary cardio-fitness and indoor pool •Complimentary grocery shopping service •Complimentary coffee, tea, hot chocolate or cider all day long in the lobby •24 hour convenience shop •Hilton Honors Points -receive BOTH airline miles and hotel points for every stay with us. Check us out online for discounts and packages! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hilton Hotels Direct, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, Hotwire, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago-Downtown reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Homewood Suites By Hilton Chicago Downtown Hotel Chicago
- Homewood Suites Chicago Downtown
- Homewood Chicago
- Hilton Chicago
- Chicago Hilton
- Chicago Homewood Suites